Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Games page

Prowler Guest

Shop Now

Years ago, when I was in college, there was an unofficial club called the "Cops & Robbers Club" that met every Friday night in the school quad. I was walking by one time and saw them, and decided to join in. It became the high-point of every week, something I would look forward to all week long.

We played several games, including the eponymous "Cops & Robbers," a game where most of the players hide, and a few players (the "cops") search them out and attempt to tag them, while surviving robbers attempt to rescue other robbers from the "jail."

We alternated games of C&R with my favorite... good old-fashioned capture-the-flag! Two teams faced off over a center boundary line. When we had enough people, we expanded the boundaries to include quite a large area, which led to small groups breaking off to sneak around and strike from different angles, while others stood guard or patrolled the flanks.

Looking back, I now realize what an enormously primal activity it was, and I miss it terribly. You don't even think about the exercise you're getting when you're running for your life with a flag. Stalking, sneaking, or keeping lookout, interspersed with all-out sprints, really epitomizes Mark's "play" philosophy.

It was some of the most fun I have ever had. Some nights we had upwards of 40 people. It brought out the animal in everyone. I think that's what everyone liked about it; the freedom. You could forget everything; didn't matter who you were. You were just the hunter, or the hunted.

I wish there were still something like this around, that I could join now. I think Mark would wholeheartedly approve.

I met my wife there, years ago. We're talking about trying to organize a group like that together, if we find the right time and the right place.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

That sounds really wonderful!

My favorite activity right now is my once a week dance class for senior women. It's more like 2 hours of creative movement than technical dance. It is so freeing and fun and playful. I feel as if I am doing some ritual with my 'tribe' when we dance.

I hope it works out for you and that you can recapture some of that remembered joy.

Sooze

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

That sounds like a lot of fun. I doubt I'd be very good at it, because I have bad knees, and I'm still pretty out of shape, but so what? I'd try anyway.

And you've just reminded me about something a friend of mine talked about a while ago. I think it was "orienteering." I'm going to go look it up now.

You wouldn't happen to be in Atlanta would you, Prowler?

shepherd is offline Junior Member

I wish there was something like that around here! I'm currently looking into adult rec league sports with not much to be found at all that's not like 40 minutes away.

In your face, Space Coyote!

Athena is offline Senior Member

Me and my fiance often play "Tag" while we are out walking on the beach. I forgot how much fun that game is!!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

That sounds like fun!

Ironman and I have talked about trying to bring the small-but-growing sport of Ride and Tie into our state.

Ride and Tie is a team competition -- each team is comprised of two people and one horse. All start at the same time, with one person mounted and the other on foot. The rider gallops ahead about as far as s/he thinks the runner can go at good speed, ties the horse, and starts running. The first runner catches up to the horse, mounts up, rides past the second runner...and so they leapfrog each other 25-50 miles to the finish line. The team that finishes first, with a healthy horse, wins.

Ok, so it borders on chronic cardio. But what fun!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Prowler Guest

The more I think about it, the more I would like to start something like this up again... there's just nothing else out there that offers the same type of experience.

I think there should be community capture-the-flag leagues in every town. Do you have any idea how great that would be? Has anybody else here ever played a large-scale, organized game of Capture the Flag as an adult?

I'm going to seriously think about trying to organize this in my area, and I encourage all of you to do the same. Maybe we can make this the next big thing. It is so primal and exhilarating, and absolutely anybody can play it, no experience required.

And don't forget the first game I described, Cops & Robbers. You could just as easily call it Hunters & Prey.

It's not hard to imagine Grok playing games like these with his tribe/clan, in their leisure time.

I wonder if I could make this happen.

Shine is offline Member

Prowler, I think that is an excellent idea and it ties in well with the obesity thread from a few days ago. Beyond nutritional misinformation, I think that our sedentary adult culture is a driving force for rising obesity rates. I do not mean that exercise is necessary for everyone to remain thin, as I realize that there are plenty of people who lose weight and maintain a healthy size without lifting a finger. But I think that games like this which encourage physical exertion really can help people be more aware of their bodies, and consequently notice any minor weight gain before it becomes an unhealthy excess. Besides sounding like a ton of fun, it would be a really great preventative way to stave off obesity. Imagine how much healthier our society on the whole would be if this was a normal weekend activity.

Anyways, great idea! Let me know if a chapter springs up near Austin, TX. Oh, and I think that we called it "Manhunt" when I was kid (in Rhode Island).

anniegebel Guest

We played spot light, which was a less kiddie way to play hide and seek. The seeker used a flash light and we played after dark.

I love the idea of playing some of those great games as adults. Why not? We used to have Gebel Family Game Night where we were stationed before. It was set as the second Saturday of the month. I'd send out reminders but whomever could make it came. We played board games whether there were just my husband and I or 30 people showed up. I think it would pretty easy to turn that sort of idea into an outdoor active activity rather than sitting around a table, or both!

great post!

Prowler Guest

Yeah, really any variant on "tag" works just as well. I think it would be amazing for our society if organized games like this were available in every community. It is not only a way to get active, but a way to get in touch with your inner animal.

I want to organize a group here... I just need to find the time, and the right location.

Is anybody here in central Oregon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast