Thread: Newbie and doing great so far page

KarenOH is offline Junior Member

Newbie and doing great so far

Hi, everyone. I have been eating primal for 2 weeks and so far I'm feeling great.

First, a bit of some background: I am a 45 year old female & have a lot (60-70 lbs) of weight to lose. I have been a yo-yo dieter much of my adult life and have lost & regained quite a number of pounds over the years through conventional methods, such as WW, vegetarianism, etc... I recently had been trying to lose weight by counting calories and was losing nothing, which was totally discouraging since I was only eating about 1300 calories per day and starving all the time. My boss has been losing weight on Atkins, so I started doing some research and found out about primal, which to me sounds so much more sensible and an actual lifestyle, not a "diet". So I jumped in with both feet and I feel amazing. I have lost 7 lbs. so far and my energy level has ramped up, although I did find myself going to bed at 9 p.m. last night, lol.

My oldest daughter, 20, has celiac disease. When she was 12, she was allergic to all kinds of food and weighed about 75 lbs - was constantly being accused of being anorexic, but everything she ate ran straight through her. After going gf, she started gaining weight & healing, which took about 2 years. She is always telling me she thinks I should try going gf too, and now that I feel so much better after just 2 weeks of being off grains, she just said "I told you so".

Probably the hardest thing for me so far is eating fat. I've been told all my life that fat is bad, but I've been making an effort to eat/use coconut oil and pastured butter and fattier cuts of meat.

Looking forward to posting and becoming a part of the primal community.

DaisyHair is offline Junior Member
    Hi there,
    I am new here as well. We have allot in common age and weight wise. I can tell you that it is hard to get used to the fat at first.. I was the same way but I LOVE it now.. Especially good grass fed butter and cream. I also make these roasted brussel spouts in coconut oil that my DH actually asks for very often. (green beans are really good this way too).

I've done the same route as you.. losing and gaining lots of weight over and over but now it's very difficult (@*#$%! age I am sure) I was really into Raw and a Vegan for a while as well..

Nice to "meet" you and it's good to hear (very encouraging) that you are doing so great at only two weeks in!

jak757 is offline Member
    Welcome Karen...keep with this, and you will see the results. I've been PB since 1/3/12 -- and it's working! It does take some getting use to -- eating fat -- like you said, we have been told forever that fat is bad. But now it's good!

Good to see another person from Ohio here!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Karen! Welcome. I'm glad primal is going well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.