Thread: Gluten Intolerance - Ingested Obviously, but Topical or Environmental??? page

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member

Gluten Intolerance - Ingested Obviously, but Topical or Environmental???

Primal Fuel
    For those of you that are gluten intolerant is it only if you eat/ingest it, or do you have issues with topical or environmental exposure from lotions, cooking it for someone else, etc?

Based on the allergy tests I've had, plus my "WTF" moment finding out that gall bladder issues are related to gluten intolerance while listening to podcasts by Robb Wolf and then researching a bit more; I'm 99% sure that I am gluten intolerant. So, I'm a few days into an elmination diet of 100% no grains, dairy, legumes, eggs, nightshades, or latex contra. While I am pretty sure I won't be eating any grains again, I wonder about the exposure otherwise. Will it be problematic? My favorite moisturizer has oats in it and I have a seasonal food business. I'm not worried about the temptation, just the exposure.

Opinions?

dado Guest
    what? come on.

gall bladder, legumes? problematic? what?

go play some soccer or basketball, smoke a fat blunt, and drink some beers.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty intolerant to gluten. A little soy sauce makes me sick. My hands swell. I get joint pain. Sometimes even an unpleasant time in the bathroom. I'm not super celiac or anything. I don't usually have a problem eating french fries cooked in the same oil as breaded things, though I don't tend to do that often since restaurants use horrible oils. I have an autoimmune thyroid condition which is also strongly correlated to gluten intolerance, so I do try to avoid it.

I've never had an issue cooking gluten foods, though. Every year a group I volunteer with does a fundraising tea. For two mornings in a row, I make 80 scones. I do them in small batches so the texture is right. That's 10 batches of scones for two days. No problem. I've cooked pasta for people. Been in the kitchen when my husband has been baking bread. Not an issue. Of course, this is not all day every day.

Might it be an issue for you? Maybe. But if it is, then it is. If the elimination diet is the right thing to do for your gall bladder, then that's what you need to do. If it turns out you can't be around wheat flour, then you may need to organize your business in a new way or find some other enterprise. Knowing that some other people do or do not have problems with minor exposure doesn't really change anything for you. Sorry. I know it sucks. You're worried. You want to know what's going to be coming down the line. But really, if it turns out you eliminate grains and other inflammatory foods and feel absolutely awesome, then the season starts for your food business and you start to feel like crap, are you going to say, "Well, screw this primal thing. I'm having some pizza and beer and eff all." This dietary approach will either help you or it won't. If your cooking fouls that up, then you'll have to see what kind of compromises you can make. The fact that I can pound out scones like nobody's business and feel great changes nothing.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Dado, you're on quite the roll this evening. LOL! Not that it really matters, but I actually do play soccer... don't smoke anything but fish and ribs.... and prefer red wine to beer.

Daisy, thanks for the response. I probably should have clarified, I had my gall bladder out over ten years ago after two major attacks. At the time I never really questioned why it was acting up, just knew that I didn't want to endure the pain of the attacks and did as my doctor recommended and had it removed. Since then, I've gained weight and don't tolerate lactose, soy, or corn derivatives. I mostly attributed the intolerance issues to the loss of my gallbladder - I.e. things just don't process the way they did before. But I'd never realized that the issue with the gallbladder was likely originally caused by a gluten intolerance.

I do realize that I may or may not be the same as others, but am interested in what others' experiences have been.

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    If it's worth anything, my youngest daughter is gluten intolerant and allergic to wheat. She can't even touch foodstuffs or products that contain wheat without coming up in hives all over, and it's really difficult for her. As a small example, she had a sleepover, and one of the children smuggled some cookies up to their bedroom, some crumbs got into her bed, and she went into anaphylactic shock (thankfully we know what to do). So, I'd recommend getting it checked out! Everyone is different, though - my eldest daughter is coeliac and has no problems whatsoever handling products containing gluten ...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    That's one big difference between celiac disease and wheat allergy--I can't imagine having a contact allergy that severe, it must be so hard on her. Celiac by itself shouldn't cause a skin response to gluten. However, some people have had gluten reactions because they've handled gluten products and then ingested some unintentionally because it's on their hands. I've also heard of people handling flour and ending up inhaling some (and then swallowing some of it) and having reactions.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal