Thread: Effects of a sugar binge right before a blood test? page

Jetsi is offline Junior Member

Effects of a sugar binge right before a blood test?

Shop Now
    I have been Primal for 18 months with the occasional regression. I believe I follow at a higher compliance than 80/20 but when I slip I land flat on my back. That was the case on the weekend before my physical and blood test.

Most everything came back normal but I did have these numbers (and the range they recommend) that stuck out as abnormal:

Glucose, Serum 103 mg/dl (65 - 99)
    Creatinine, Serum 1.36 mg/dl (.76 - 1.27)
    Cholesterol, Total 308 mg/dl (100 - 199)
    Triglycerides 173 mg/dl (0 - 149)
    HDL Cholesterol 58 mg/dl (>39)
    VLDL Cholesterol Cal 35 mg/dl (5 - 40)
    LDL Cholesterol Calc 215 mg/dl (0 - 99)

I asked for a CRP, Vitamin D, and A1c but I can't find it in the results unless they list it under another name.

Of course my doctor wants me on statins, lovastatin 20 mg to be exact.

I am trying to figure out what the problem is. I walked in thinking I would ace this blood test. Could my binge right before my blood test have thrown everything out of whack even though I fasted 13 hours before the test?

I am trying to remove sugar and the synthetic sweeteners from my diet by dropping diet soda and powdered drop-ins for water and I notice my binges have been a little more frequent since then. Tied with this I have stopped losing weight for the last 8 months when I have another 30 to go.

Am I just fooling myself with my suspected level of compliance? Was I just totally stupid to binge right before a test? How much time of full compliance before another test? Other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

dado Guest
    your problem isn't the sugar binge, it's that you're going for a blood test.

or any test.

tell your doc to suck one and then go live your life!

dado Guest
    I don't get tested, son! I don't do that, it's not something i do!!!

dado Guest
    i'll live and then i'll die, that's it, man.

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT?? WHAT DO YOU WANT??? WHY DO YOU TEST YOURSELVES, WHY???

I DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you could have skewed the numbers. My mom has had her panels run three times in the last six months trying to balance out some thyroid and hypoglocemic issues. Her original numbers were a little off, then great after six weeks of no gluten or sugar, and then horrible after a three week vacation in Germany & Austria where all the food was provided. Her doctor flat out told her that she'd be very concerned about both her blood sugar levels and cholesterol if she was looking at only the last test. But with the others for comparison, her advice was just to go back to what she was doing before the trip.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the tests are fallible and tend to report what you recently ate (except for the A1C). I'm hypothyroid, and my endo does bloodwork every 4 months to check my hormone levels. He always includes a lipid panel, so it's a fasting test.

I've found that cholesterol numbers are especially prone to reflect what was recently eaten. I can easily get a lower LDL by eating wild salmon for two meals before I begin fasting for the test. Similarly, if I eat steak, the LDL will rise.

Ask your doctor for a moratorium on statins until you retest in 6 months--and then be sure to eat wisely for 48 hours before you begin the fast.

Rory is offline Member
    I think your glucose should have come down after a 13 hour fast, regardless of what you ate before - but the A1c should give you the best info in that regard. Without the A1c it is sort of meaningless.

Jetsi is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses.

Dado, this was my first test ever so it was more just to see what my results were. It is also a slap in the face that I am not as compliant as I thought I was and now provides motivation to do better. You live and you die, yes, but why not make the time you live longer and more enjoyable?

Alaska And and emmie, thanks for the information. I thought as much but wanted something empirical. I will be consulting with my Dr. and plan on retesting soon.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    Actually the most concerning thing is your high creatinine and triglycerides. High creatinine either means you blasted your creatine phosphate pathway shortly before the tests (sprints, heavy weights), you're taking heaps of creatine or you have poor kidney function. I experimented with 3g of creatine daily, I didn't notice a performance or weight difference and my creatinine only went from 0.73 to 0.99 mg/dl. The high triglycerides indicates metabolic damage, which is probably responsible for the poor kidney function too.

You should get that 80% closer to 95-100%

The sugar binge may have had an effect if you ate a days worth of food at one meal. Just to be sure, you should approach a blood test by eating/exercising/sleeping normally the day before.
    Last edited by Stevenhamley; 02-18-2012 at 03:15 PM.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsi View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

Dado, this was my first test ever so it was more just to see what my results were. It is also a slap in the face that I am not as compliant as I thought I was and now provides motivation to do better. You live and you die, yes, but why not make the time you live longer and more enjoyable?

Alaska And and emmie, thanks for the information. I thought as much but wanted something empirical. I will be consulting with my Dr. and plan on retesting soon.
    compliance is for women.

i don't comply, jetsi, and don't you forget that, ever.