Thread: Paleo, and Parents page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Paleo, and Parents

It's great when the folks come around ... they live a couple of hundred miles up north, but drop down to see me, my sister and our families every now and again.

Tonight, they came to see us ...

My folks always had the best of intentions raising me and my sister - organic, local, whole food, whole grain and later vegetarian ... which was not a bad choice given the state of meat production in the UK in the 1970s and early 1980s.

They've relaxed somewhat into a pescetatian diet, but still very much shy of meat even if it is now well produced nowadays, certainly up where they live ... old habits, and such.

Anyway, I treated them to a good meal of paleo fair ...

Amuse bouche of cauliflower stalk, asparagus and spinach.
    Starter of salad nicoise.
    Main of cod ceviche over avocado, tomato and orange on a mushroom velouté.
    Dessert of panna cotta with berries.

We had a lot of fun.

My Dad left me with a couple of bottles of single malt, which is not paleo, but huge fun. I'll enjoy those.

It went down well, certainly not something "odd", like a "diet". We hold very similar dietary principles with a love of the local, organic and well produced animal meats - fish for them, fish and meat for me and my wife. We disagree on grain, but since it wasn't on the menu ... no issue.

My Dad does like to eat his own baked bread. I spoke a lot about how a good 24 hour ferment, if not longer, could reduce the issues that my mother has with bread and he really seemed to listen. This might be some real progress. They're not going to become paleo eaters, although my mother is practically there already, albeit a fish eating paleo with as little bread as she can. She does like oats.

Parents, eh? Good fun while they last

Picture?

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Looks delicious and great news on the parental front!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    cool
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Damn. Now I am hungry

Congrats on accepting your parents for who they are and treating them like a valued part of your life even if you don't agree with everything they do. It's refreshing to read your approach.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

seashells is offline Senior Member
    Beautifully presented!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank, guys.

Paleo "just works" and I know my mother is astounded how I've simply stopped taking PPIs. She knows the trouble; she's figured it out by elimination, but my Dad does like his bread. I dearly hope it doesn't lead to something awful later in life. His parents both lived into their 90s with little illness throughout life, so that is something to hold onto.