Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I weigh 112 pounds but have body fat 35% - Help! page

Claire C is offline Junior Member

I weigh 112 pounds but have body fat 35% - Help!

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I've just recently gone primal. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the food and find it easy and tasty. I stick to it about 90%. When I do veer off it and eat bread or potatoes, usually when I'm eating out, I bloat up like a balloon and get stomach aches.

Overall though I thought I was doing pretty well. I don't really need to lose weight (I'm 5' 1" and weigh 112 pounds) but definitely need to tone up. I know I could do with building more muscle and losing some body fat.

Yesterday I went on one of those scales at the gym which measures your body fat and I was shocked to see 35%! Can that be right?? I wanted to punch the machine!

I'm struggling to fit in enough exercise, (I have 2 jobs and 2 kids) though I do lift weights about twice a week. I also struggle with my drinks - I'll admit I'm probably more addicted to dry white wine than I should be, I drink several gasses a day.

Just thought I'd post up here as I'm new to primal and could do with some feedback on that 35%.

Thanks,
    Claire x

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't go to crazy based on that scale...I have one at home and I mostly use it for reference (wether it goes up or down etc), I do think its somewhat in the ball park, but you used something at the gym. At home, my scale has the ability to save settings for each person that uses the scale, it takes into consideration your activity level, sex, and age, did you have to do that prior to stepping on the scale or is it a general setting for everyone? That could be the reason why the number seems so high.

seashells is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it's calibrated to sell personal trainer services. Stupid scales!

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    How accurate are those body fat thingies that you enter your height/age/gender/weight into and hold onto? The ones that I think send electric currents in your body? Just curious

Claire C is offline Junior Member
    Ha ha! Yes, fixed really high to make me buy personal trainer Seashells! That's soothes my bruised ego Yes, I had to enter my age and sex but not activity level. Even if it's not completely accurate I have to admit that you're right polos26, it probably is in the "ball park". I have to cut back on the wine and up the exercise if I want to get that body fat down.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    They can put you in the ballpark at best. Use one, then drink a glass of water and see what happens. Get sweaty and see what happens, etc. It's all based on electrical resistance and a pretty sloppy algorithm to factor in height/gender/age.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    They can put you in the ballpark at best. Use one, then drink a glass of water and see what happens. Get sweaty and see what happens, etc. It's all based on electrical resistance and a pretty sloppy algorithm to factor in height/gender/age.
    Ah ok. Mine said I was 17% body fat but my bf says I'm probably more and it's inaccurate lol

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it shoots tiny currents through your body and then measures how long they take to come back (you don't feel anything) I have a Tanita one, which is suppossedly the leader in its field.

This is the one I own:
    BC-533 InnerScan Body Composition Monitor

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    My dad's electronic body fat scale reads about 10% higher than my actual bf %. Even online ones with measurements, age and weight included vary up to 15%! Don't let it freak you out. 10-15% is a lot to be off by!!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Clare, do you feel like you have a lot of body fat? How are you on the 'pinch test'?

There is quite a good calculator here - use the second one.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast