Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in a Hotel with a Mini Fridge, Need ideas for food, help please! page

Warmblood58 is offline Junior Member

Living in a Hotel with a Mini Fridge, Need ideas for food, help please!

Hi all, new to this forum and I just figured out that my weight gain is from too many macadamia nuts here in Hawaii. I am consulting here and living in a hotel room and have no kitchen access. I have Kim chee in my fridge, sardines in olive oil, organic apples, macadamia nuts,walnuts, almonds, raisins, pecorino romano cheese, goat cheese, prunes, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, avocados and that is about it. Any ideas for other healthy proteins that I could incorporate into my diet so that I can reduce nut protein greatly? My workouts are going well and I eat an omelet in the morning with peppers and onion, 3-4 slices of bacon and melon, pineapple and papaya. Need to work in a salad mid day somehow. Any thoughts out there? Mahalo!

patski is offline Senior Member
    Get a container of pre-made coleslaw (so, that should just be chopped cabbage, carrots, etc). Add a splash of extra virgin olive oil, a dash of apple cider vinegar, s&p. Done!

Get some good quality jerky too!

That's a lot of fruit in the mornings. Cut way back. Or don't have any fruit in the morning at all.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Tuna. Just add salt, pepper with some dill pickles or (my favorite) pickled jalapenos.

If your grocer sells roasted chickens, get you one of those. Take all the big parts off...breast, legs, thighs and put the meat in some ziplocs. Easy to microwave for a meal. Oh, and eat the rest of the carcass as your first meal and discard the bones. You can also steam some broccoli (or other veggies) real easy with those microwave steam bags.

activia is offline Senior Member
    You can also make hard boiled eggs in the microwave. You can even do an omelet in the microwave.

You can buy grilled chicken as well.. I'd be filling that fridge up with some veggies as well.. you can get a cutting board and a knife. You can also work with root veggies or spaghetti squash or yams and microwave all those.

Find a place that just grills their meat..

If you are really going to be there for awhile, consider getting one of those electric griddles or electric "hot plates" stove top. I actually did that when my husband and I had to live somewhere without a stove for 6 weeks. I used it like the range. Just open the window for some circulation...oh and throw it in your suitcase when room service will be in

You can even get a george forman grill and do the same thing... Or get one of those small charcoal grills and grill up some meat at the park. (used to do this as well)
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

jakey is offline Senior Member
    buy some meat! watch the dried fruit and the seeds, those can present some problems, more so than even the mac nuts.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I lived for several years in a garage apartment with a mini-fridge and a hot plate. I could make anything. It's the clean-up that's hard, however. Having a real kitchen sink is way more important than the size of the fridge.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Paleo Aspirations is offline Junior Member
    We lived in Hawaii for 4 years and recently moved back to the Mainland. Enjoy your stay on the islands!

If you haven't tried it already and enjoy raw fish, you can buy impeccably fresh poke at any local KTA supermarket. There is variety of poke to choose from, including ahi tuna, octopus, and other raw fish. I think the most enjoyable poke for us was simply seasoned with sea salt, red pepper flakes and green onions.

Also marlin fish jerky is tasty, although quite expensive. You can carry it with you as a snack.

Lau lau is also an option. It is like a Hawaiian tamale. A luau leaf is wrapped around a large fatty chunk of pork. The pork is seasoned only with Hawaiian sea salt. Then this little bundle is wrapped in a banana leaf. It is steamed for about 5 hours. It is best eaten homemade. The lau lau's found in supermarkets are pretty lame.

Huli huli chicken is sold on roadsides in rural parts of Hawaii. It is just roast chicken. However, be aware that it is marinated in soy sauce, brown sugar, etc. -- and it is smoked over Kiawe wood (kind of like mesquite). Some people love it, but I found the smoky flavor overpowering.

Other than that, you can buy any item (usually) that you purchase in the mainland. Food is quite expensive, and so is electricity. Our electricity bill here in L.A. is a fraction of what it was in Hawaii.

If you are into purple sweet potatoes, try microwaving the Okinawan sweet potatoes. They are incredibly healthy and compact. I find them a bit dry, but a little coconut milk moistens them up and gives them a great flavor.

I also recommend purchasing a hand-held immersion blender. You can make smoothies as a change of pace. Every weekend in Hawaii there are wonderful farmer's markets that sell inexpensive and local grown produce, veggies and local fruits.

There are also many Japanese restaurants on the islands that sell clean, fresh fish or poultry dishes. I just try to shy away from the rice.

Hope this helps!

Paleo Aspirations

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    buy some meat! watch the dried fruit and the seeds, those can present some problems, more so than even the mac nuts.
    True,it's easy to gorge yourself on dried fruit since its volume is greatly reduced.Some brands also feel the need to add a lot of processed sugar to something that already has plenty of natural sugar in it,which makes them a particularly poor choice.I think eating as much fresh fruit as you want is fine,but the stuff in a can or the dried stuff that contains added sugar and chemicals isn't my idea of healthy.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you can get a couple of ideas from this older thread....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread9198.html
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Warmblood58 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Maybe you can get a couple of ideas from this older thread....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread9198.html
    Lots of great help from everyone, thanks and I think I know now where I have gone wrong for the past two weeks. Too many macadamias and the fruit in the morning has not helped - I thought low GI fruit was fine but apparently not -mostly melons and an apple in the afternoon with a piece of cheese. I''ll get there . . . .thanks everybody!

James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast