Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulletproof Coffee and Lady Problems (possibly TMI for the gents)

Bulletproof Coffee and Lady Problems (possibly TMI for the gents)

Shop Now
    I started the Bulletproof thing about 2 months ago (starting at a healthy weight and bf%, looking to get leaner, yet it has not proven to be a magic bullet. Not that I am surprised. Feel good though, so not complaining). ANYWAY. Apparently a higher fat and protein diet increases hormones, which increases pre-menstrual and menstrual pain:

Primal Wisdom: Diet and Female Hormone Balance

Since starting Bulletproof, my fat intake has increased slightly from my usual PB levels (though I don't track so I can't give specific figures). What has also happened is that last month I had what I can only presume were labour-strength menstrual cramps. I have no kiddoes yet so I don't know what labour actually feels like but this was BAD. They were by far the absolute worst cramps I have ever had in my entire life. There was a 30-minute period on Day 1 during which you could have sawed my leg off and I probably would not have noticed. Or cared. Thank goodness I was at home when it struck, and there was no repeat of it on Day 2. Now I am supposed to get my period again in two days, but I have been having mild cramps since Monday. Has anybody else experienced something similar? This is so not cool, and if it keeps up I am not sure if I will keep up with Bulletproof.

(And no, I am not pregnant. And I did have ovarian cysts in the past but they've been MIA for almost 2 years now thanks to Primal.)
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 02-17-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Eating high fat should be balancing your hormones! This is strange.

How's your omega-3 intake?

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    How's your omega-3 intake?
    Probably not at levels to brag about. I avoid processed junk (obviously) but I am allergic to fish and can't take fish oil (I tried taking it for a while two years ago and gained 12 lbs of bloat). I take flax seed oil on and off.

Balancing your hormones is key. Make sure you get tons of vitamin A and D and DHA/EPA. Severely limit omega 6.

Quick fix that worked for me GLA - get two little bottles of Evening Primrose oil. Down 1/2 to 1 bottle immediately depending on size of bottle and how much you can stomach. Then take a high daily dose of the other bottle until menses is over. Works for me.

Don't get borage oil, it doesn't do the same thing for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by souldanzer View Post
    Balancing your hormones is key. Make sure you get tons of vitamin A and D and DHA/EPA. Severely limit omega 6.

Quick fix that worked for me GLA - get two little bottles of Evening Primrose oil. Down 1/2 to 1 bottle immediately depending on size of bottle and how much you can stomach. Then take a high daily dose of the other bottle until menses is over. Works for me.

Don't get borage oil, it doesn't do the same thing for some reason.
    Thanks! I will try the Evening Primrose oil. Any suggestions of non-fish sources for DHA/EPA? I do eat a lot of eggs and I've been on and off on the flax oil because I keep hearing mixed opinions on it.

All I know, is that when I'm doing higher fat and higher protein, low carb - my periods
    are every twenty four days (january I got it TWICE) and they suck ASS.

Now that I've lowered the fat, upped my carbs, kept protein the same, my period was
    actually, omg, for once in, say, 5 years - TWENTY EIGHT DAYS and it was a freaking breeze.

4 days, nothing to write home about, and, with much benefit to my husband, no bitchy ass PMS
    either.

Wha?

I do about 1600 cals a day, 150g carbs, maybe 50/60g of fat and the rest
    protein.

I'm 5'3 and about 120lbs if that matters.

Julie

That confirms my experience! I usually get mild to moderate cramps but I find my periods most tolerable when I'm in the 100-150g of carbs a day range (which was most of last year). Since I'm not leaning out one way or the other, I may well go back to this.

Sounds like a plan.

Or at least just give it a go for a month and see how LadyTime measures up this next time
    around.

Are you sure you don't have fibroids?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Shop Now
    On the omega-3's, to be honest, I can't think of any other source except really fatty cuts of grass-fed beef. Are you also allergic to shellfish? Shrimp & mollusks have a decent amount as well.