Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Salad Dressing. page

gabomart is offline Junior Member

Salad Dressing.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good morning,
    I am loooking into starting Primal Diet. My question is, what off-the-shelf salad dressings can I eat? I know it's better to prepare my own, but is one I can buy acceptable?

Thank you for your time.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, they're all terrible. The ones that aren't mostly soybean oil are loaded with corn syrup. I've looked - because I would love the convenience. But there are some that are pretty easy to make.

Blue cheese crumbles + greek yogurt + water or milk - season to taste

Olive oil + balsamic vinegar (my favorite), lemon juice, or red wine vinegar

Sour cream + salsa (I love this!)

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    I like the Bragg dressings made from olive oil and aminos, but the aminos are soy aminos so there is that.

If you read all the labels on every bottle you might get lucky and find one that is strictly Primal but this is doubtful. Olive oil and vinegar are great just right off the shelf.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i don't actually know off the top of my head, but you have to check ingredients - in everything! not just salad dressing.

like danielle5690, i throw together my own dressing, which is quite easy to do. you get good at it quickly!

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    Or.... How about let's expand this to get some simple salad dressing recipes, maybe? My ex used to make them all the time, but all I remember is evoo, balsmaic vinegar, and herbs/spices.

Any idea on what herbs/spices?

Thanks!

(I too would be interested in quality over the counter salad dressings, too, as I may be too lazy to make my own...)
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

patski is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil + lemon juice, s&p. Done!

gabomart is offline Junior Member
    Thank you very much. Got some good ideas to make my own . I think it is a good commitment to this lifestyle change to prepare some of my food.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    I make my own, but these have mostly appropriate ingredients if you insist on paying an arm and a leg for dressing:
    Dr. Fuhrman's Salad Dressings

I like to look at these for ideas when I go to make a batch of dressing. I try to eat 2+ cups of mixed greens a day, so buying prefab dressing is out of my league.

patski is offline Senior Member
    When you do start making your own, pre-made salad dressing will taste like CRAP!

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Here is what I keep in my desk...I make my dressing at my desk, so I have to keep it simple.

EVOO
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Pepper Grinder
    Salt
    Italian Seasonings Grinder
    Splenda

The grinders are those cheap pre-packaged kind...I don't have time to fool with a lot.

I get a disposable cup, pour in some olive oil, balsamic, grind in pepper (I like a lot), the Italian Seasonings, add a couple pinches of salt and a pinch or two of Splenda...and there you go. The Splenda makes it less than perfect, but I use a very small amount and the result is radically healthier than anything pre-packaged, and frankly, better than most of what you can buy as well. So, if you can spare 60 seconds, it is easy to do...

...though obviously not what you wanted to hear. And the worst ramification of this is for salads at restaurants: often among the worst health choice on the menu unless maybe you are at McDonalds.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast