Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really do not miss breads or grains page

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member

I really do not miss breads or grains

Shop Now
    I was thinking last night as I ate a salad with poached eggs that I always ALWAYS used to need a piece of bread with my salad. I always needed a tortilla or bread with my eggs. I felt the hardest thing about going Primal was going to be eliminating bread. The last bread I ate was some pita bread back in mid January with a salad. It was one of those eating out auto pilot things. It wasn't something I really wanted- I just had a wedge- it was fine.

I haven't craved bread or baked goods. I used to bake every week- bread and sweets. I baked my SO beer bread this weekend and it didn't even cross my mind to have a slice or want one. I have a shrimp allergy- and it was as if I had made him shrimp....it took no effort to skip a slice.When I was a vegetarian, I never ever stopped wanting meat. I didn't obsess over it, but I'd see meat and be envious and curious. Not so with bread and baked goods.

I still enjoy sugar- can't say no to a bit of honey, chocolate or maple syrup. I still want a drink every once in a while (booze). Can't give up dairy. But wheats and grain have been so easy to quit. I'd say that is the biggest surprise of this whole change for me. They used to be really a central part of my diet.

I read the forums- so many people can't quit dairy or seem to want sugar- but it seems like hardly anyone misses breads or grains, yet when you eat them, it seems like it would be the hardest thing in the world to give up....

Classic is offline Senior Member
    +1 to that. Bread and chips were my favorite thing. I thought that I would never be able to swing that. Now I think they were just butter delivery vehicles. I have been primal 2 years now and do try bread once in awhile in a restaurant but I don't have that craving any longer and don't eat at restaurants very often.

activia is offline Senior Member
    It was tough for me for a few months. I thought the cravings were NEVER going to end. I dreamed of fresh baked bread and bowls of pasta. I haven't had a craving in 6 months. I might think about a nice piece of baked bread, or a plate of pancakes..but I dont crave it..and these thoughts don't even happen that often nor are they a big deal to me. So I find it amazing that I was able to break the addiction
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    It's still hard for me and has been every time I've cut out the wheat, but it gets much easier the longer I go without ingesting any. It seems that one bite triggers the cravings all over again. The first week is the toughest it would seem - I have had true dreams of eating bread and then wake up and realize it was just a dream and feeling a little sad for a min or two. But those thankfully go away after a bit and then I can handle it like it's some food I don't enjoy. It's harder to ignore it when I'm hungry, duh, but that's not as often as it used to be.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I don't miss bread either. I had pizza not that long ago and it tasted like cardboard with tasty stuff on top.

Eating Primal really spoils you on high quality, homey food!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    After I gave up bread due to gluten intolerance, I used to treat myself to the occasional pizza which had been my favourite food. The eating experience became less and less satisfying each time. The last one was eaten over 18 months ago, which I was sure would be the final one of my life. It was like making love with someone for the last time. Then the destructive relationship was over and we both moved on. I'm sure that pizza will make lots of other people happy, but not me.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Me too!!! Me too!

Seriously, a month ago I said f-it to wheat and cut it off cold turkey.

At first it was a little hard, cuz my usual "binges" were of the cookie, donut
    and mcdonald's variety, maybe once every two weeks.

When I started noticing that my heart raced every time I did that, I chalked
    it up to the pure glucose running through my veins, but then when it happened
    with a freaking togo's sandwich, i KNEW something was up.

Bye wheat!

Anyway, I'm a month clean of wheat and OH MY GOD, not only am I even MORE
    hyper and annoying than before, but jesus wept, I feel freaking fantastic.

My husband, who knew I was off wheat, but really doesn't think of wheat being in anything
    else but wheat bread (nutritionally clueless, seriously!), got me a PILE of Pepperidge Farm
    cookies (my absolute faves) for the super bowl.

Really? Really.

I let the kids eat them instead and I can honestly say that I didn't give a shit one
    way or the other about them. It was so freeing and AMAZING, because Mama lurves
    herself some cookies.

I've also been chocolate free since Jan 22, which is ALSO amazing, because I'd eat
    about 1 cup of chocolate chips a night OR an entire 90% lindt bar. FREAK.

I still have a few gummy bears here and there, but I don't want to hoark them like chocolate.

Anyway, yeah, back to wheat, totally gone, don't miss it one iota and I'm never going
    back.

Julie

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    I've gone about 3 weeks now without grains. I don't miss the taste - I was never really big on cereal, donuts, potato chips, bread, cookies, etc. in the first place- but I do kinda miss the calories. For as long I can remember I've loved hamburgers, hot dogs, and buffalo chicken subs and wraps. Now when I eat those things sans bread, I don't feel as full as before. But that feeling has gone away more and more the longer I've ditched grains. Last night for dinner I had a buffalo chicken salad for dinner and felt pretty satiated until noon today. In this 3 week span I've noticed my digestion and acne have improved. So overall, ditching the grains has been a great decision.

I'll be honest, a part of me will always miss hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizza just from a childhood/Americana perspective, but I do think I have made the right decision.

PrimalBaker is offline Member
    I do not miss pasta or bread like I thought I would. I found it actually easy to leave the grains behind. Once I stopped having stomach/digestion issues I realized the lack of grains made me feel great. And so I haven't really looked back. I do have the rare slice of cheese pizza or chocolate cake. I DO miss chocolate chip cookies, my personal kryptonite. And so I will make the occasional partial batch and give most away to my neighbors.

I guess feeling awesome has taken over any thoughts I might have given grains. And when I do have the chocolate chip cookies I really enjoy them then move on. No cravings. Just enjoyment then done. Then a month later maybe another batch. My neighbors are happy.
    I NEED Sunshine! And a beach would be nice too!
    Started Primal living February 14, 2011

activia is offline Senior Member
    Since most baked goods make me sick now they are no longer so appealing...
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast