Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Primal Journal by PrimalAshley page

PrimalAshley is offline Member

My Primal Journal by PrimalAshley

Shop Now
    Primal Eating week 1 has been a little easier than I thought.
    Day 1 was supposed to be Monday, but we weren't as prepared as we thought we would be - so we ended up delaying the start until Tuesday. My 95 year old Grandma was the recipient of all of our non-primal food (and it was a bunch!). She thought we had gone crazy.

A little note about my family:
    Tyler is 31 works a labor intensive job. He is 6'3 and weighs 260 or so. His father passed away from Diabetes last year so Tyler wants to make sure to avoid getting sick. He also has a lot of allergy problems during the year (lots of post-nasal drip), and he has eczema. Just wants to have more energy. (and a healthier wife)
    Me- I am 33 and have been pretty sick for the last 4-6 years. Started with mono, then postpartum difficulties, depression, anxiety, chronic fatigue, right flank pain (have passed stones), just overall yucky feeling. IBS symptoms, stomach pain, alternating between constipation and diarrhea. Just lots of complaints. I want to hike and play with my kids and have the energy to clean my house and do more! I weight 220 lbs and am 5'5 so I have a lot of weight to lose.
    Kira - 4 years old. Game to try new things (mostly). She has always had a dairy intolerance so no cheese and milk is a good thing for her. We had her on soy milk then switched to rice milk now we will focus on coconut and almond milk
    Brock - 2 years old and very upset with all this change. He is a big reason for our change because he gets really shaky when he hasn't eaten for a while. He has been unwilling to try anything new. I think I may have to hide the sippy cups to get him to eat anything other than scrambled eggs.
    Day 1 - Tuesday Feb 14th
    We shopped that day - walking through Costco and Sam's I found it a lot easier to pass up the samples than I had anticipated. Due to our poor planning our kids were quite upset because they were not willing to eat any of the primal snacks we had on hand so they were hungry. Also, Brock (2) and I had colds (still have) so we were crankier than usual too.
    B- Eggs w/two cups of coffee w/Almond Milk
    L- Smoothie
    S- Cashews and almonds while shopping and some beef jerky
    D- Rosemary chicken with asparagus
    Day 2 - Wednesday Feb 15
    B- Egg and sausage casserole made with turnips w/two cups of coffee w/Almond Milk
    L- Broccoli, blueberries, bacon, a few cherry tomatoes and a boiled egg
    S- More nuts
    D- Shepherds pie made with grass fed beef, cauliflower and turnips with celery, carrots and onion (it was pretty good)
    Day 3 Thursday Feb 16
    B-Leftover casserole w/two cups of coffee w/Almond Milk
    S-Hard boiled egg
    L-Scrambled eggs with bacon
    D-Went to bed early - too sick still
    Day 4 Friday Feb 17 (in progress)

So we are onto Day 5 and I am really worried about the cost. We are spending so much money buying everything organic. The grass fed beef is killing us. We are going to buy a whole cow in March, but we won't be able to pick it up until March 22.
    So far I feel like we are doing OK. I don't have any major positives to report. In fact my DH said that the zucchini dinner we made the other night made him gag. Ugh. The prep time for everything is a lot longer and my two year old has not eaten anything real yet. He had a handful of cashews yesterday and has eaten scrambled eggs a few times. Otherwise he just is cranky.
    My four year old has willingly eaten fruit. She loves the hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs, but getting her to branch out is also very difficult. I think that the two of them have eaten more bananas and eggs in the last week than they have in the last several months combined.
    I find that most of my cravings are in my head more than a physiological response. That is a relief to me.
    Also, very frustrated trying to find a way to purchase coconut milk and almond milk that won't break the bank. And organic berries. And we spent $10 on bell peppers yesterday (3 of them) because DH follows instructions to the letter and he read that we shouldn't use anything but organic bell peppers.

Wow today has been very tough. DS (2) only wants to eat bananas, oranges, and have a sippy cup with almond milk. Ugh. He will eat scrambled eggs too, but that is the extent of it. Finally we found a dinner tonight that everyone enjoyed! Roast with carrots and cauliflower/turnip mashed 'potatoes'. They were good. Brock ate all of his mashed yummies and my 4 yr old ate all of her meat and half of her carrots and mashed potatoes. We made them a banana, almond butter and almond milk smoothie for dessert for eating so much of dinner. They were really happy with dessert. But I heard so much whining and crying all day long I felt like pulling my hair out. Shopping went pretty smoothly though. At Costco a little boy came up to our 4 year old and offered her some of his candy and she said "We don't eat candy..." and when he asked why she said "We have changed our diet". I count that as a big win! (Also, we went out to the movies last night and the 'treats' we took were: berries, jicima, almonds, cashews, and cantaloupe...my purse weighed 15 pounds with the waters in there too)
    One of my new goals is to make sure that we eat before 8 every night. Tonight we didn't finish dinner until after 9 (yikes). I would like an earlier dinner, but DH doesn't get off work until later than that.
    We took measurements a few days into starting the primal. It will be interesting to see how we feel come Tuesday. I have so far felt pretty good - but nothing awesome to report yet. I was sort of expecting it to take longer for me since I have had so many annoying issues health wise. Am a little worried about the detox as I lose weight. Just drinking lots of water for now.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Ashley. Organic, grass-fed, free-range, etc. are wonderful. They are not essential to primal though. Do the best you can without breaking the bank.

Primal is great. But there are other paleolithic/ancestral approaches that work well. I, personally, do something close to Archevore, which allows potatoes, beans, white rice and corn products. I am not trying to lure you away from Primal, just give you options in terms of getting your kids to eat and cutting down on your grocery bill. Experiment. See what works for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

I have decided to include some sweet potatoes and rice for the kids. We did have another successful dinner last night with paleo spaghetti - the kids really liked the spaghetti squash and both asked for seconds

Today I still have a cough and feel pretty cruddy. Plus burning while I pee (which is a long term problem for me), and just ridiculously tired (like I hold my phone to my ear for more than a minute and my arm aches and hurts and is soooo tired). I went to the insta care and the doc said pneumonia, coupled with a UTI and anemia. I've had anemia before so I suspected that was the case. Anxious to get through this so I can tell how I am benefiting from the actual diet change.

I did splurge a little and bought a venti iced coffee today and had a touch of vanilla and soy milk added. Not great, but I felt like I really needed a boost (mentally and the other).

We are still staying on course although I don't think we have done more than 2 or 3 meals that any one of us was like "I love that". I am craving stupid food like a Big Mac or some really greasy cheesy hamburger. Not sure what to eat to substitute for those cravings (I think that they may be more in my head than anything). Also, just chocolate peanut butter ice cream sounds divine.

Will buy some iron supplements tomorrow and will eat some extra spinach and try to get some steaks in the next few days to help get my iron up faster.

One bummer thing...all my pants are fitting tighter right now. I was hoping to see my weight go down quicker. I have not felt up to walking (walking five feet is exhausting me right now) or any other exercise so I will just have to wait a bit longer to see or feel any real benefits. Still believe in the long term benefits though so I know it will just be a matter of time.

Day 13...I figure we must be doing something wrong - I have gained between 4 and 6 pounds. Really disappointed and trying to figure out where I am screwing this up. Right now I am 226 lbs and at my widest part I am (gulp) 49.5 inches. My DH is 47 in at his widest and his arms are 14 in and his neck is 17.5in. I think I will be watching his weight fall off while mine for whatever reason seems to be growing.
    Yesterday I had scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil with a slice or two of bacon crumbled in and mushrooms. For lunch we had tuna on lettuce (used a homemade mayo with EVOO, eggs and salt and vinegar). For a snack I had a few almonds and cashews along with 1 piece of beef jerky. For dinner we made Rosemary chicken wrapped in bacon with asparagus on the side. I cut up a cantaloupe for the kids and did eat about four pieces - I think I have probably had too much fruit over these last two weeks.

The kids are eating tons better. We went out to dinner on Friday (one of those hard to avoid situations with family in town). DH and I ate steak plain and had the salad bar. (He made about ten trips). I had a salad and the steak and felt full. The kids were really good there, in fact my four year old had a couple of people laughing because she kept telling her papa "Only healthy stuff". She is such a great kid.

I think that I have noticed that I haven't been as bloated as usual (especially PMS wise). I am still in tons of pain on my right side (I suspect kidney stones and a constricted ureter because that was what it was in 2009 when I had a surgery that determined that) and my energy level is so low I can hardly stand it. I had to take both kids to the bathroom yesterday at Costco and I about died from the effort (I have to strip the 2yr old down to nothing and I am slightly OCD so I cannot let him stand on the floor in his socks or bare feet) so I am standing there trying to undress him (he is probably 35 lbs) and my head is pounding and I am swaying back in forth. It was not fun. Then just walking through the store made me even more tired. Pneumonia/low iron/plus I suspect I am experiencing some carb flu symptoms all make for a very miserable Mom (oh yeah, and PMS).
    We bought 30 lbs of grass fed beef from a local rancher at an indoor farmers market. Spent $155 but I think it is the best way to buy the meat for now. Just need to find someone who raises hogs in a good way and we will buy from them.
    This weeks goals:
    Look into CSA's for a better way to buy veggies.
    Eat NO fruit at all.
    Walk a couple of times during the week (outside hopefully).
    Stay closer to home so that I don't feel any temptations. (man I want a coke LOL)
    I would like to find some different recipes to try out this week and get more veggies into each meal. Maybe track the calories (I sure hope I feel better)
    I have three clients who have been waiting for me to get better from my illness - I would like to get all three scheduled this week.
    Involve the kids in the kitchen more. (DS burned his cute little hand last week so I sort of banned them all week from the kitchen)

I think that is about it. I would like to get to the bottom of why I am gaining so much when I was looking forward to losing. More research coming up (unless anyone wants to give me a couple of hints

Wow two weeks in. Waking up today was a painful process Whatever this pain in my right side is it has not responded yet to the new diet...but I am still hopeful. I really should schedule an appointment with the urologist - he wanted me to have a procedure at the end of December, but I have been to chicken-*&%$ to do it - gotta go in and see if he can put me out for it or something.
    Food costs are still driving me crazy...but that is partly because we are on the Dave Ramsey get out of debt plan and I feel like both going primal and getting out of debt are super important for our family...my only problem is that one seems to contradict the other a little. Maybe soon we won't be so hungry (my DH is constantly eating it seems - he doesn't really want to diet I don't think) so we have to buy some of the more expensive staples very frequently. I will get a good balance - I am still looking online everyday for recipe ideas and trying to find a good balance.

Today we are going to prep a bunch of food for the week. Though it doesn't sound fun it will be nice to have it done. The kitchen is so not my domain - I dislike chopping and slicing and cooking and spicing. I usually ruin even the most simple of recipes. DH is the cook, but he also works and does a lot of the cleaning lately (since I have been ill). Poor guy...he needs more balance in his life and that is one of my main reasons for going primal is so that I can function better.

I've been musing to myself about how I came to be such a sick sorry person. I was in pretty good shape when DH and I met. I was active and energetic and excited. We were dating a while before I stopped walking, started eating more carbs and just all around lost control of my life. I got sick with mono and that was really the biggie for me - that is when everything just began to suck. I quit school so I could work - I couldn't do both and I had to have some money. I still missed work a lot of days. Mono was horrible. (It also took a very long time for the docs to figure on mono). So, I also was racking up medical bills left and right and I was making $11 an hour (hence our debt - $30k in medical debt). It just kept getting worse and worse. Then a year later I was making more money, the mono had faded mostly. I had gained 30 to 40 lbs. Then I got prego. My DD came in July (and she was splendid), but my post partum was not so fun. I had a 3rd degree tear, and I contracted a uterine infection. Oh my it was miserable. I was having a terrible time breast feeding too. I was so weak and tired. (I also lost a ton of blood and took some bad advice and didn't receive a transfusion when I really should have). Then my gallbladder started acting up. I had a great new job making more money than I ever had, and they were pretty patient with me but I ended up being forced to quit only 6 months after starting there. Still ill, we moved in with DH's mom and lived in her basement for a year. That was very stressful. My happiest part of my life was our DD. She was thriving and darling (everyone loves Kira). I finally started to feel somewhat better. DH got a better paying job and we looked into buying a house. I was prego again and started getting kidney stones. That was not fun. Went to the ER with kidney stones and contractions probably 6 times before he was actually born. Then the pain became excruciating and they ended up doing an IVP - which showed that my right kidney was draining too slow. So then they put me out and did a surgery and the doc said no more kidney stones, but my right ureter was constricted. Since then (Oct of 09) I have had only two weeks of no pain in my right side (and I am not exaggerating). It just varies - gets really really bad to where I want to scream, and other times it is just extra pressure (always) in there. I am very hopeful that losing weight and detoxing my life will help this get better. Pain is a very draining presence and I always feel tired after even a relatively small amount of exercise or play or anything. I also have had two EKGs that show abnormalities so I am concerned about my heart as well. And now every time they check my urine there is blood and white blood cells in there. That is why the urologist wants me to do the test...but he wants to do it while I am wide awake and I know I won't be able to lay there. So I guess I am hopeful that I will start seeing an improvement in that as well. Maybe I was getting diabetes or something. Our diet wasn't great - especially compared with the primal diet, but my biggest problem was not exercising. And that is still my biggest problem. I want to get out there, but I am pain adverse and really don't want to have the post exercising pain. Also, getting skinnier will have a positive effect on how the docs treat me. Right now I am just a lazy, crazy woman in their eyes. They figure that I am drug seeking so I quit going to the docs. If they won't run the right tests or believe me why I should I give them any more money? And, maybe they are somewhat right. Maybe the fat crazy lady is sick because she is dairy intolerant, allergic to wheat and grains and needs to cut out all the refined sugars.

Just rambling, all this just had to come out in one gulp because it keeps running through my head. I want to move forward and forget about all that junk and just feel good and play with my kids and clean my house and cook meals for everyone. I want to go hiking and biking and swimming and laugh more. Primal is my hope for all of these things. I also want to write more and enjoy more things.
    Life has a lot to offer, but when you are fat and tired all the time it gets to be really hard to appreciate anything. I hope to read this in a few months and not even recognize the woman who wrote this post.

Two weeks down, 16 more days to go for the first 30 days (although I don't think things will really be different - just will have accomplished our first goal)!!! So proud of myself for sticking to it...I actually have been very surprised at how easy some aspects have been. First, I have had some cravings, but nothing that made me actually want to cheat. Despite having pneumonia and my right flank pain kick into high gear I have succeeded in sticking to the diet.
    However, there are things that I really have to do better. First, I made a goal of not eating nuts this week...I have already broken that goal I find it really hard to deny myself when they are sitting right there. It was really bad on Monday because that was our shopping day and we had literally no food left in the house except a few almonds and cashews and some romaine. The romaine wasn't cutting it so I had the nuts because my blood sugar was dropping and I was getting really cranky (and if Mom gets cranky everyone gets cranky).

Yesterday DH and I prepped food. I cut up veggies for an hour...Dh criticized how small I made everything (things probably would have gone faster if they were larger pieces). DH cooked chicken nuggets in almond flour for the kids to freeze. He also baked some bacon (I have yet to try it, but I heard baking at 275 for an hour is a splendid way to make bacon). We cooked up a bunch of chicken to top my salads this week. Also made a bunch of sausage patties for DH's breakfasts. We also had a very yummy stir-fry Forgot to toss in the collard greens. I have yet to try them and I am a little nervous because they don't seem that tasty looking. DH also made mayo for the week.
    Still need to prep: coconut milk (we bought desiccated coconut and we will try to make our own milk out of it), and I wanted to make some kale chips because I have heard they are oh so nummy! Sadly, this whole prepping extravaganza took 3-4 hours (including making dinner). I look back and figure I could have shortened the veggie cutting a bit if I had cut larger and faster. DH maybe could have sped up cooking a bit, but I am not really sure how, we only have four burners and three frying pans (two of which are quite small). We keep fighting the desire to purchase a food processor. We were so tempted at Target the other day, but we have other financial goals and this is already taking a big chunk out of our debt snowball.
    It will be nicer this week to have everything cut up and made. It will make the weekend easier too since we will be busy and it will help us stick with it!

I have been looking at a lot of success stories and I really recognize that I have to start exercising. I am still finding lots of excuses not to (it is freezing cold here today and I am still slightly congested/tired from the pneumonia). I also am building my strength but I have some weakness. Excuses, excuses, excuses. My house is tiny w/no stairs to speak of so I can't really exercise in here unless I pace back and forth (maybe forty feet of walking space?). But, I am sure I could find something to do.

Also, I think that I have to lower my expectations of what this diet/lifestyle change will do for me. I think I was looking at it as a miracle for my pain and low energy. After reading some people's experiences I recognize that I may take longer to adjust since I have so many things going on physically at the outset. Adjusting my expectations now will help me not fall off the wagon later. I still have high hopes, but rather than expecting to lose forty or fifty pounds by August I think I can safely expect to lose 20 or so. (Hopefully more). I have never really been into exercise except for recreation (hiking and biking and maybe a little bit of walking), so I realize I am going to have to change that aspect too.

Another thing I want to change....I want to start trying to build our menu based on ads and what we can find on sale. Currently we just go and buy everything regardless of what price it is (we have a specific list we stick to, but I haven't been looking for the best prices). I will try to turn things around to buy what is on sale and build a menu from that. We did buy regular bacon this week (so much cheaper and hopefully not too bad for us). We also just bought regular chicken from Sam's Club. We have increased our grocery spending by about 65%! Yikes. Obviously a different approach is required.

Freaker is offline Member
    Congrats on sticking with the plan, Ashley. It sounds like it hasn't been easy, so I'm impressed with your perserverence. Keep it up, and results will follow.
    Starting Weight - January 3, 2012 - 276.4 lbs
    One Month - February 3, 2012 - 260.8 lbs
    Two Months - March 3, 2012 - 253.8 lbs

Current Weight - April 3, 2012 - 246.0 lbs

My Journal

My new blog dedicated to creative writing and dark spirits

Thank you for your kind words

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast