Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Out page

Mr. O is offline Junior Member

Eating Out

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm on Day 12 of my 30 day Primal journey. I've eaten perfectly according to plan during that time. I've only eaten out twice during those 12 days, but I never realized how much hidden sugar and vegetable oil are infused into otherwise "healthy" orders of vegetables and meat. I ordered an omelette this morning and told them I'd like it cooked in butter. They said that they cook it in butter.......infused with vegetable oil......their own special mix. This was a dive diner, but they actually had olive oil, so I lucked out. I never thought about these things before going Primal. It's a perfect example of why Primal is way more than just "low carb."

patski is offline Senior Member
    Then you can also factor in how much $ you just spent a meal that no longer appeals to your taste buds. I find going out totally undesirable. Food doesn't taste the same.

You could have spent that same amount buying some groceries and making something super tasty that would feed you for more than one meal

activia is offline Senior Member
    When I go out I always think.. sheesh I'm paying more money for this CAFO beef/poultry or farmed fish and non-organic veggies meal with loads of bad oils... and just OK.. when I can for less money be eating much better quality food cooked the way I like. However, we do go out once a month. I do enjoy the "Experience" of it... being out in public the atmosphere.. and just sitting there talking with my husband instead of working in the kitchen and cleaning up after.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

patski is offline Senior Member
    I told my wife, that if we're going to go out for dinner, let's go somewhere really nice and spend a bit more money than usual.

We had an amazing Greek dinner before a concert for Valentine's Day. There was a little bit of rice and potato, but MY GOD, the moussaka and stuffed grape leaves, and grilled pork...chicken...OMG...were amazing!!!

JazzWorthy is offline Member
    Going out is always a difficult experience, especially with friends, so I try to avoid it as well. You spend so much money just to feel unsatisfied and unhealthy. I'm often out of town with my band and other friends, so I'm forced to eat out. Luckily, even though they don't understand, they've just gotten used to how I eat. I also get invited to eat at buffets a lot, so it's a bit easier to pick and choose. When there's an event with "refreshments" though, I know I'm probably not going to be able to eat any of it

otzi Guest
    I love eating out. I make a huge game of it. I have never found a place without a few primal meals. Steak, pork chops, chicken, fish, steamed veggies, salads, bacon&eggs (or omelettes) for dinner.

Just eat nothing breaded, or fried and no bread, pasta, dessert. I even love going to pizza places. I order whatever I want, with extra cheese and meat, then just eat the toppings and throw the rest away.

dancermom09 is offline Member
    This way of eating does kind of spoil the dining out experience. We went out to a "nice" place on Valentine's Day and were pretty disappointed. My cooking is now better than most restaurant meals, mainly because I use the best meat and produce I can get my hands on.

Now, if I had the opportunity, there are some places I would love to eat out at often. When we were in Napa, the restaurants were really focused on high quality food and they were pretty amazing. I'm sure lots of bigger cities have some of that too. My city, not so much.

Of course, I did not have to shop for the food, cook it, carry it to the table or clean up!

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I am returning from a trip to dc and NYC. I ate at The Parisien in Manhattan. Little place, maybe 10 tables. I had a stunning pork tenderioin and salad. And a bit too much Cote du Rhone. Wile I was there, someone came in for take out. Authentic French takeout. Gotta tell yo u, it broke my country bumpkin heart that I can't get such good food so conveniently.

Cricket is offline Member
    I enjoy eating mainly because I don't have to cook! When you eat this way, it seems like you spend your life cooking. I love to cook BUT sometimes I really get sick of cleaning up!
    When we go out, I usually get a steak or grilled chicken with a baked sweet potato or vegetables. AND I always make sure they don't BRING THE BREAD!!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I can't afford to eat out very often. When I do, I take my best shot and enjoy the food.

If I had plenty of money, the place I live, Sacramento California, would be a great place to do so. Lots of farm to table restaurants.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast