Thread: Carbs and Fat! page

galensjp01 is offline Junior Member

Carbs and Fat!

Shop Now
    I'm very active as I'm currently training for a Tough Mudder. This thus increases my demand of carbs. Should I decrease the usual amount of fat I take in on super tough training days if I'm increasing the carbs? Or will having more calories to heal be the best choice overall regardless?

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    What is your current training and what are your other goals? How many carbs are you currently eatIng? You may not need to do anything but to have fun with this!

My current training is heavy weight metcon on MWF and light "recovery" days on Tuesday and Thursday. In terms of carbs I'm eating between 100 and 150 grams per day!

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by galensjp01 View Post
    My current training is heavy weight metcon on MWF and light "recovery" days on Tuesday and Thursday. In terms of carbs I'm eating between 100 and 150 grams per day!
    I would add more calories at the evening meal days you lift heavy then get to bed at a reasonable time and let the body recover. I don't really know if you need more carbs but extra dark leafy greens, sweet potato with butter and cinnamon or some white rice will only help replenish muscle glycogen. If you have fat loss goals, I don't think an extra carb dish at night on workout days will hurt your progress. Consider adding a sprint interval day replacing one of the easy days. I would even shorten one of the heavy lifting routines if needed to add it in. Intervals have helped me get more out of lifting and will boost your ability in events like a mudder. Balance is key, rest is worth it. Don't think cutback weeks are going to hurt your progress. I know I answered more than you asked. I think the timing of your meals is as important as how much you eat. What's worked better for me is run workouts in the morning on nothing more than coffee with heavy cream, a normal lunch of lettuce wrapped meat and a piece of fruit and the big meal with the one extra good carb in the evening after heavy lifting. I sprint one day per week. I've been running for years,am 50 and just took my 5k time down to 21:09 for a better than 30 second improvement. Not world class by any means, but I'm faster and stronger than I was in my late 20's and early 30's. I'll take that all the time. Good luck and please keep us posted!
    Last edited by pace2race; 02-17-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Your long winded answer did answer other questions I had though so thank you!! And fat loss isn't the goal, just getting my conditioning up is carbing up won't really affect me. Plus i've fallen in love with sweet potatoes with butter and cinnamon haha