Thread: Carb-counting questions page

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

My body does really well without carbohydrates, so much so that I want to try eliminating them entirely. To achieve that, here are a couple of questions that I haven't been able to answer.

1) Glycogen occurs in animals as well as humans and is sometimes referred to as "animal starch". Does this mean animal muscle tissue contains dietary carbohydrates (contra the labeling)?

2) Mark has mentioned that we should count all carbs towards the carb curve, not just sugars/starches. That surprised me, because 100g of sucrose has such a different nutritional effect than 100g of, say, cellulose. Does that mean one needs to eliminate all plant products to go truly zero-carb? Does a BAS count as a carb binge?

If the answers are "yes", it seems like the only real ZC diet would be pure animal fat, protein powder, and supplements. But that's not very primal, so I must be missing something. Sorry if these questions seem silly or naive. I just haven't been able to find the answers. Can you help?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I had similar questions once upon a time and here is what I've learned:

1. Yes. Meat can have carbohydrates, but in quantities so small as to either not matter, or they don't meet the rounding down system of the FDA guidelines. i.e., if a "portion" of food has .49 grams of carb - or any other nutrient - they can claim zero. Sometimes when I suspect rounding down, I go to wwww.nutritionaldata.com and used the largest portion available, often 100 grams. Sometimes things show up then. This is why a product can - and must - show sugar as an ingredient, but it doesn't show up in the carb count.

2. Yes. Although Atkins talks about Net Carbs, there are a lot of problems with that. For many months I did calculate my net carbs for Fitday recording because I liked that low carb number at the end of the day. But since then I've learned that there are a LOT of problems with how carbs are calculated (subtractive from fats and proteins, not measured directly) and then see my comments above.

Yes. Only fats are truly carb free. But a BAS has very few unless you put sugar or croutons on it. Don't sweat it. I did and it wasn't worth the effort. You can only fine tune this stuff so much before another variable or inaccuracy rears it's head.

Thanks very much for the answers, OTB. I won't worry about eating meat, but I am going to try to find out if I can get any extra benefit by minimizing the carbs that I originally thought were pretty irrelevant (cellulose, hemicellulose, inulin, sugar alcohols).

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Go to the recent "How ripped are you" thread and take a look at those pictures. Especially our Tarlach, near the end. He's "zero" carb for years, a human carnivore.

Tarlach's picture is really all the explanation I need!