Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get Keto-Adapted but in Ketosis over 1 month page

ketone_bill is offline Junior Member

Can't get Keto-Adapted but in Ketosis over 1 month

According to Mark and other experts, once you become keto-adapted, your body will stop spilling ketones into your urine and instead utilize all the ketone bodies for energy.

I've been eating very close to zero carbs for over 5 weeks now. I've been in ketosis the entire time but I'm not becoming keto-adapted? During the past month my blood sugar has been in the range of 90-100 mg/dL throughout the day. Obviously my body is producing all this blood sugar through gluconeogenesis because there are virtually no carbohydrates in my diet. In addition, my body is spilling a ton of ketones in my urine instead of using the ketones for energy.

I suspect that my body is not become keto-adapted because my liver is producing too much glucose. As a result of the glucose being in the high-normal range, I'm maintaining the type of mitochondria that burn glucose and I'm not growing more mitochondria that burn ketones. As a result, I spilling all these valuable ketones into my urine instead of using them for energy.

I really want my body to utilize the ketones my body produces and cut back on the blood sugar produced by gluconeogenesis. Anyone have and ideas on how to fix this? I'm eating very strict paleo right now and getting enough exercise but not too much.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Chocotaco in 3...2...1.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Nady is online now Senior Member
    All I know from Atkins~ the lower the carbs, the greater the keto spill~ start upping your carbs by 5 gr. every 3-4 days until you test pink on the ketostix~ FWIW~ even Dr. Atkins said not to stay at induction levels (under 10 carbs) for more than 2 weeks~

js290, I know ketones are produced as a byproduct of fat metabolism. My question is why isn't my body burning the ketones it produces for energy?

Nady, I don't want my body to reduce ketone production. I want my body to use all the ketones it produces.

Quote Originally Posted by ketone_bill View Post
    js290, I know ketones are produced as a byproduct of fat metabolism. My question is why isn't my body burning the ketones it produces for energy?
    How do you know it's not using them?

activia is offline Senior Member
    IMHO Chronic Low carb is as bad as Chronic high carb...
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    IMHO Chronic Low carb is as bad as Chronic high carb...
    There's no physiological basis for that statement...

Ramblings of a carnivore: Death by mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    How do you know it's not using them?
    Because I'm spilling them out in my urine. If my body was using all the ketones, I would not be spilling out ketones in my urine.

Here is further information on this topic:
    Ask The Low-Carb Experts (Episode 5): ‘Ketosis: Devil Or Angel?’ | Mark Sisson Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

Also, if you do a search on the internet, many sources say that a fully keto-adapted person will excrete vertually ketones in their urine.

Nady is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ketone_bill View Post

Nady, I don't want my body to reduce ketone production. I want my body to use all the ketones it produces.
    from Ketone bodies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ketone bodies are three water-soluble compounds that are produced as by-products when fatty acids are broken down for energy in the liver and kidney. Two of the three are used as a source of energy in the heart and brain while the third is a waste product excreted from the body.
    . Ketostix just test the discarded fatty acids~ your body is burning the other two or there would be nothing showing on the stick~

ETA~ when they talk about using all the ketones, I don't think they're talking about a 0% carb diet~
    Last edited by Nady; 02-16-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast