Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Conquered Insomnia? page 6

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Cholesterol. Caffeine does not seem to have an effect on me but then I'm not a coffee drinker.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    5-HTP has done the trick for me. If I skip it, that night I wake up at 3am.

Take about 100mg -- in the morning. It was recommended to me for depression. Don't know how well it works on that score, but it's worth it for the sleep.

Spinman is offline Member
    2 responses:

1. How much exercise are you getting? If you're not moving much, try to crank it up some.

2. Whenever I wake up earlier than I want, I start reading. Without fail, my eyes get heavier and heavier and I drift back asleep. If I didn't do that I would just toss and turn, getting frustrated more and more.

Good luck!!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    I have some serious problems with sleep, and it interferes with life in general almost every day. It's actually gotten worse since I went Paleo, which is frustrating. I can generally fall asleep ok, thanks in part to a dose of magnesium (Calm), but staying asleep is impossible. Even though I go to bed between 10:30-11:00 every night, I wake up without fail between 4:00-5:00 a.m. Most nights I never fall back asleep. I'm miserable, feeling sick every day from being so tired.
    BBC News - The myth of the eight-hour sleep

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinman View Post
    2 responses:

1. How much exercise are you getting? If you're not moving much, try to crank it up some.

2. Whenever I wake up earlier than I want, I start reading. Without fail, my eyes get heavier and heavier and I drift back asleep. If I didn't do that I would just toss and turn, getting frustrated more and more.

Good luck!!
    1. Not enough. I started paleo in October, and had plans to start the exercise part soon after beginning but the insomnia started up. It's kind of a catch-22, it's hard to work out when you feel like a zombie! Nonetheless I did add in some strength training 2x per week, beginning about a month ago. I'll start getting in some more walks, yardwork etc. as the weather warms up. So ... no it's not enough in my mind, but it's still more than the nothing I was doing before.

2. That would probably help. I've been hesitant to do it though b/c my Kindle light wakes my husband up. So then I'm wide awake AND have a grouchy husband! Lol. Maybe I can find a dimmer light though.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I have the same type of insomnia!
    There's the not-being-able-to-get-to-sleep type and the can't-stay-asleep-type.
    Apparently the second is due to a cortisol spike too early in the morning.
    1) This can be due to low blood sugar. try eating later at night so you have plenty of fuel while you sleep
    2) anti-cortisol supps. Phosphatidyl serine or Seriphos, ZMA (but this has to be taken on an empty stomach so can't combine with #1 above)
    3) 5-HTP sometimes works for me
    4) for some reason probiotics sometimes help me sleep really deeply. I can't find any human studies, but apparently they give farmed fish probiotics because it lowers their cortisol levels =/
    5) are you a chick or a dude? how old? apparently estrogen levels do weird things (I don't remember if it's through cortisol). Indole-3-carbinol and dry Vitamin E help scavenge excess estrogen [edit] DUH sorry! I went back and checked who started this thread and CLEARLY you are a lady!
    6) when I'm really desperate, sometimes I just get up, eat a cookie and read. I'm not sure if it's sugar-coma or sleep, but whatever works!
    Last edited by ottercat; 02-25-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

katscratch is offline Member
    After about six months of waking between 2-4am drenched in sweat and unable to go back to sleep( I get up for work at 5am) I started waking every two hours.

I t was horrible, I already was so fried mentally and physically but this was so bad I talked to my boss about going on medical leave. Led to panic attacks which spiraled even further down, quickly. The only thing that somewhat helped, not to sleep but to rest my brain from spinning, was playing TVs shows on my phone with the screen shut off so I had sound to focus on/tune out, if that makes sense.

Supplements didn't work, cutting out alcohol and caffeine did nothing, all the 'tricks' just made me obsess more.

Then I went on vacation, smoked a joint at a show, and SLEPT TEN HOURS STRAIGHT. Once I started sleeping more I didn't need the weed, but I honestly think that blunt saved me.
    In 2012 I will find JOY, feel ALIVE, be CONSCIOUSLY CONNECTED to my World and my People, and become HEALTHY!

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    I have the same type of insomnia!
    There's the not-being-able-to-get-to-sleep type and the can't-stay-asleep-type.
    Apparently the second is due to a cortisol spike too early in the morning.
    1) This can be due to low blood sugar. try eating later at night so you have plenty of fuel while you sleep
    2) anti-cortisol supps. Phosphatidyl serine or Seriphos, ZMA (but this has to be taken on an empty stomach so can't combine with #1 above)
    3) 5-HTP sometimes works for me
    4) for some reason probiotics sometimes help me sleep really deeply. I can't find any human studies, but apparently they give farmed fish probiotics because it lowers their cortisol levels =/
    5) are you a chick or a dude? how old? apparently estrogen levels do weird things (I don't remember if it's through cortisol). Indole-3-carbinol and dry Vitamin E help scavenge excess estrogen [edit] DUH sorry! I went back and checked who started this thread and CLEARLY you are a lady!
    6) when I'm really desperate, sometimes I just get up, eat a cookie and read. I'm not sure if it's sugar-coma or sleep, but whatever works!
    1) Do you mean dinner later? Or have a snack right before bed? Right now I have a cup of "sleepytime" tea and I put 1 tsp raw honey in it, but that doesn't amount to much.
    2) I will have to try the anti-cortisol supps. When I wake up, it feels like there's something ... a chemical or hormone or just SOMETHING ... pumping through my veins and making me feel very awake. Like no amount of counting sheep or practicing deep breathing is going to make any difference up against this mystery substance! I'm also usually VERY hot, like kick-off-all-the-cover-and-maybe-all-the-clothes-too kind of hot. Does cortisol do this??
    3) I bought a bottle. Did not seem to help the first night, but I will keep trying on and off.
    4) I've been taking the probiotics sold by Mark's Daily Apple.
    5) Yes, chick. 30 years old. What happens when you scavenge excess estrogen? Is it something I want to make sure I don't have too much of?
    6) I do keep a couple of boring books by my bed, and they do help when I'm just "regular not sleepy". Not so much with the "crazy burning hot awake for hours" type though!

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Kim, I would 100% advise you to avoid cortisol sups unless you have been diagnosed. I am guessing, as your symptoms appear VERY similar to mine, that you have an adrenal issue...so cortisol suppressants are going to do MORE harm, in fact, you actually have too low of cortisol probably to begin with, which is why you feel that SOMETHING pulsing through your body making you very awake. Which by the way is probably adrenaline. When you have an adrenal problem, your body typically produces enough cortisol in the morning, but as they day goes on your body can't keep up and you have low cortisol...Your body would normally flood your system with cortisol to help deal with stress, make you feel better, etc. If the cortisol is not available, your body responds by substituting epinephrine (adrenaline), in order to combat the stress. This process uses up your dopamine stores in your brain. It's basically like pushing full go on a gas pedal without the tank being full. This causes MAJOR insomnia and typically makes you wake up feeling like you are in the middle of a marathon or something. I have zero insomnia now...I would quit caffeine immediately if I were you and get checked for food allergies...the two most common causes of this issue.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Keep those ideas coming...I've got the same problem. Don't drink caffiene after 2 pm (if not long before), try to step away from the computer by 8, only occasionally watch a movie on TV, otherwise none at all. No iPods, Kindles, or other electronic devices, in the evening or any other time (except the computer, sigh.) I've tried Sleepytime Tea, melatonin, St John's Wort, warm milk...haven't tried iodine yet, though, Grizz!

My problem is how often I wake up during the night! I can usually get back to sleep (except a time or two a month), but still---4 to 6 wakeups every night is tough. Those can't get back to sleep nights are when I use the warm milk, which really DOES seem to help...I just don't want to do it every night! (Happily, I'm not lactose-intolerant.)

You have my sympathy, Kim!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast