Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Conquered Insomnia? page 4

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    I have the same issue of waking up. I started taking GABA right before bed a few weeks ago and that helps me get back to sleep but I still wake up. I've just started iodine supplements for breast cysts/health so I'll let you know if that helps.

erkan is offline Junior Member
    Days after I went Primal, my sleep problems were gone. On occasion, I would still wake up and found that this was on days where I had not had sufficient fat later in the day. Believe it or not, but I now often snack one or two slices of fatty bacon ahead of bedtime. It works wonders. Generally I believe that we are all so conditioned against fat that even us Primals often don't take enough. During the day, I sometimes take clotted cream and blueberries as a treat to stack up on fat. I have not had any sugar or grains since going primal (only) two months ago. Although I still take heavy clotted cream and butter and occasionally some cheese, I dropped all other dairy products.

...and despite the bacon as a bedtime snack I am still getting leaner. It goes against anything my mom taught me...

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I've had waking nightmares for the last 10 years. Was prescribed clonazepam by a sleep doc because they considered it idiopathic and that's what drugs are for.

Going paleo helped, but didn't eliminate the issue. I eventually weaned myself off clonazepam, and was taking melatonin to sleep, but I still occasionally woke up screaming at goblins on unicycles. I tried Natural Calm, and still woke up screaming. I tried a Whole 30 -- still screaming.

In December, I went on a strict elimination diet (no nightshades, eggs, dairy, concentrated sweeteners, and ibuprofen on top of the regular primal list), and during that period, my waking nightmares stopped. Completely. Despite the things I assumed were triggers still happening -- massive work-related stress, reading before bedtime, playing games before bedtime -- I managed to sleep without waking up and swinging my fists at the ninjas on my ceiling.

So I've been easing foods back in, and I am disappointed to learn that alcohol seems to give me night terrors. It may not even be the day I drink -- it can happen up to 1-2 days after. The last time I drank alcohol was Valentine's Day, and that night I woke up thinking a guy was in my bedroom holding a red pepper in the air (all my nightmares are hilariously bizarre like this).

I'm still tinkering with it. I'm still wondering if it's just a one-off thing. I really love wine, but I really hate the terrible nightmares, so ultimately, I know which one I'll choose.

I echo the other poster who asked if you've tried dropping caffeine totally. Alternately, give the elimination diet a try for 30-60 days. Good luck.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1949katie View Post
    I've found that more than 1/2 mg of melatonin actually keeps me awake.
    There was an article in Sky & Telescope a few years ago making this same point. (The article was aimed at all-night stargazers who needed to sleep during the day.) The author advocated 1mg or less and said that more was counterproductive. I asked my local pharmacist to order in 1 mg tablets (3 mg is much more common, IME) and they work like a charm.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I have wacked out dreams, too. Telekinetic, flying, unreal sensory experiences that do not equate to anything my body has known. Or I did, before starting night shift. I just realized that. Weird. Maybe my brain tries to dream while I'm still awake at work and has given up by the time I get home.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleo Aspirations is offline Junior Member
    My husband and I swear by lavendar oil. We put a few drops under our pillows or on our bed clothes at night. He puts it right on his mustache! Be careful to avoid the eyes! Lavendar oil seems to truly have a calming effect. Also a cold room helps.

I am sleeping much better on Paleo. I also don't pee as much as night. But I think my age (54), plus the fact that I worry like crazy, doesn't help me, when I wake up at night. It is difficult to go back to sleep when my mind starts focusing on finances or other problems, etc.

Good luck!

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Man is Truth View Post
    3 pages, nobody suggests rubbing one out? That is my tried and true insomnia cure since adolescence.
    Hahaha! Okay, sexual activity before bed totally works when it comes to going to sleep. But staying asleep is the problem.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Thing is, waking during the night is quite normal but usually a person would just go back to sleep. In your case this is not happening. I use to waken at 3am and lie there wide awake. When I quit drinking alcohol the problem was resolved. I still woke up, but went back to sleep easily. Not sure what the mechanism was. I have no trouble with coffee. I can drink it an hour before bed and still get to sleep. I suspect the waking up might be related to blood sugar levels. Try getting up and having a snack before going back to bed.
    Last edited by jo; 02-18-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Hmm ... since I have the 2% solution, I would need to add 12 drops to get up to 12 mg. Maybe I need to try more, since I've never taken more than 5 drops.

I do take a melatonin pill, but I've never tried 2. The brand I have has 3 mg Melatonin with 25 mg Theanine in each pill. I'll try 2 tonight and see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice!
    Kim,
    Dr. Kruse makes the melatonin suggestion. He takes up to 25mg Melatonin to get his required sleep when flying through time zones. His suggestion is to increase dosage until you sleep all night.

Also this: We recently bought a 12 inch Memory Foam Mattress from Amazon.Com for only $400 including shipping. This is the SAME as the $3,000 Tempur-Pedic mattress. The result? WOW! Like curling up in mothers womb. Such a great deal, and like sleeping on a cloud. Your old mattress just might be ruining your sleep.
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sleep Innovations 12-inch Sure Temp Memory Foam Mattress - Queen Size

Dr. Kruse says:
    10. DHEA/MELATONIN: Most people have sleep disturbances that I see prior to becoming paleo. The reason is usually a bad diet that causes spikes in inflammatory cytokines due to many factors. Sleep is critical to become optimal. This is when all cellular repair is done by our body. This process is governed by a cellular process called autophagy. Poor sleep is consistently seen with high levels of IL-6 in sleep research studies. DHEA levels tend to fall in both sexes dramatically after the age of 27 and directly correlate with poor sleep. DHEA decreases IL-6 in a dose dependent fashion but its use must be done with consultation with a physician. Many people use melatonin on their own for sleep but many do not understand the complex neural wiring between the brain, gut and pineal gland that must be taken into account before adding this to your routine. I find these two very useful in the first six months of a making a change to a paleo lifestyle. I use blood and salivary testing for tough cases to make a decision on care. I can not over emphasize how critical reestablishing optimal sleep is to this lifestyle. Melatonin you can start with low dose at 2-3mgs two hours before bed and titrate for effect. Highest I have taken myself was 20 mgs when I had serious jet lag. DHEA for guys I base it on labs but most can take 50-100mgs safely. The ladies should use the 7 keto version of DHEA and I would keep it below 50mgs a day without testing.
    http://jackkruse.com/what-are-the-to...o-supplements/
    Dr. Kruse dedicates an entire blog post to sleep:
    http://jackkruse.com/sleep-ya-big-dummy/

Search his blog for more on sleep & melatonin. He makes a BIG DEAL on why sleep is so important, and offers MANY surprising suggestions to get a full nights sleep. One is to eliminate ALL night lights, or sleep with a face mask & ear plugs.

Let us know what finally works for you.
    Grizz
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 02-18-2012 at 03:54 AM.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Update: it's been a week now. I've cut my caffeine back from ~120mg to ~60mg per day, and I'm planning to taper it off completely by next week. I also started taking ~8mg of iodine daily (8 drops of 2%). And ... the insomnia is worse than ever!! I started at around 5-6 hours of sleep and now I'm down to 2-3. I'm going to have to cut off this little iodine experiment before I totally lose my mind from lack of sleep!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast