Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Conquered Insomnia? page 3

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    What do you do? As a computer programmer my boss is at my mercy and has to be willing to let me make my own hours. Otherwise I might quit and go find another job.
    I'm the buyer for a flip-flop manufacturing company ... like for all the raw materials and anything you would need to run a factory. It's small enough (<100 people) that I'm the only buyer here, so I can't sneak out without being missed! (But at least I get endless free flip-flops. )

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    I'm the buyer for a flip-flop manufacturing company ... like for all the raw materials and anything you would need to run a factory. It's small enough (<100 people) that I'm the only buyer here, so I can't sneak out without being missed! (But at least I get endless free flip-flops. )
    Flip-flops are cool, but I've just been going barefoot since I've been primal. The lawyers make me wear my vibrams when I go into a store. I look pretty goofy sometimes walking barefoot and having vibrams strapped to my belt strap.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Flip-flops are cool, but I've just been going barefoot since I've been primal. The lawyers make me wear my vibrams when I go into a store. I look pretty goofy sometimes walking barefoot and having vibrams strapped to my belt strap.
    LOL. I do that with my huaraches when we go for walks sometimes, just in case I step on glass and have to limp home or something. I'm sure it looks silly, but hey, it's practical!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Ugggh no ... but I really should. I just loathe going through the killer caffeine-withdrawal headaches. You would think that ONE little latte per morning shouldn't have me hooked that bad, but it's true. I should try though, you are right.
    I feel your pain I still love my coffee - but I TRY to have only one cup of decaf per week. Unfortunately, the fact that you can have withdrawal symptoms from only one come per day indicates that you are very sensitive to caffeine. The same was true for me. Try going one month with zero caffeine - not even decaf coffee or tea. It sucks, but it really helped my sleep.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had a coffee habit for months but I have the same freaking problem you have. Same thing. The only thing I've been able to do for relief is go to bed late because then at least my sleep seems to be deeper and more solid. I gave up on a normal bedtime like 10 or 11 a while ago just because of this, but have been meaning to troubleshoot with it once again because I really want to wake up feeling completely rested on a regular basis! What a beautiful thing that would be! This also only happens when I eat paleo. Before I probably slept too long, but hey at least I could and felt good about it.

I am really stressed out though and likely have high cortisol levels. Caffeine has the same effect on your body as stress. So on my next "normal bedtime" experiment I think I'll keep on trying to chip away at lowering stress to see if it does anything.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I feel your pain I still love my coffee - but I TRY to have only one cup of decaf per week. Unfortunately, the fact that you can have withdrawal symptoms from only one come per day indicates that you are very sensitive to caffeine. The same was true for me. Try going one month with zero caffeine - not even decaf coffee or tea. It sucks, but it really helped my sleep.
    It honestly never occurred to me that the fact that I get such bad headaches if I miss my one latte (unlike my husband and probably most other people!) is an indication that I'm really sensitive to caffeine. It sounds really obvious now. Lol. Starting today, I'm weaning myself off to see what kind of a difference it will make to my sleep. I pulled my espresso shots this a.m. and then (sadly) dumped 1/4 of the coffee down the sink! I think as long as I go slowly I can avoid the incapacitating headaches from caffeine withdrawal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    I haven't had a coffee habit for months but I have the same freaking problem you have. Same thing. The only thing I've been able to do for relief is go to bed late because then at least my sleep seems to be deeper and more solid. I gave up on a normal bedtime like 10 or 11 a while ago just because of this, but have been meaning to troubleshoot with it once again because I really want to wake up feeling completely rested on a regular basis! What a beautiful thing that would be! This also only happens when I eat paleo. Before I probably slept too long, but hey at least I could and felt good about it.

I am really stressed out though and likely have high cortisol levels. Caffeine has the same effect on your body as stress. So on my next "normal bedtime" experiment I think I'll keep on trying to chip away at lowering stress to see if it does anything.
    I feel your pain. Just ONE night of 8 hours of solid sleep would be such a huge relief. I know that taking an OTC sleeping pill like Unisom will do that, but it is way too easy to get hooked on those. I'm making such a huge effort to eat organic, grassfed, no sugar, low omega 6's, no grains, yadda yadda yadda ... it just seems counterproductive to then dump chemicals in my body when it's time to go to bed.

A heavy leg workout is a guaranteed 10-hour night for me.

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Only thing that works for me is going to bed around 8:30 PM, then I wake up at some ridiculous early time like 5 or 6 AM. It's kinda annoying to go to sleep so early and wake up so early, but atleast I get a nice amount of sleep that way.

Still...
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Slinkykitty is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Man is Truth View Post
    3 pages, nobody suggests rubbing one out? That is my tried and true insomnia cure since adolescence.
    what does "Rubbing one out" mean?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast