Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Has Anyone Conquered Insomnia? page 11

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    oh the melatonin drink that I was taking was full of sugar. Yours may not be
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    Second question, I have very small nasal passages, so yes, I often wake with my silly mouth open. I keep threatening to tie my jaw shut like Jacob Marley in A Christmas Carol! I find that if I take a Benadryl when I wake up I usually sleep through better, but BOY do I hate to habitually take pills. That and the fact that I'm allergic to nuts, for which I carry Benadryl...I'd really hate for it to not work from overuse if I inadvertently got into something with nuts!
    I wonder if you would find a neti pot beneficial. I have been using one this winter (in the morning, but you'd probably want to try it in the evening, at least an hour before bed) to keep my nose clear & hydrated as I am prone to picking & nose bleeds! If your nose is as clear as possible, perhaps that would help to keep your mouth closed & keep you from waking. It takes a bit of getting used to, to irrigate your nose, but once you get it, it really works well.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying hypnotherapy.

Not working so far

Love your new hair NamelessWonder!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    oh the melatonin drink that I was taking was full of sugar. Yours may not be
    Oh, no, we take tablets. Even if there WAS sugar, not room for very much. :-D
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    ok, sorry I didn't read all the responses. But I have always been a horrible sleeper. Both falling and staying and then falling back to sleep. I am finally sleeping through the night. It is most likely the most recent change in my diet but could be one of a couple of other things or the combo so I will list the steps that probably contributed, in no particular order....

-I wear an oral device-for sleep apnea-Horbst, essentially a retainer.
    -I take 3,000iu of D3 in the morning
    -I take 100mg (are those the right units? I am at work so can't check) 5htp with dinner
    -I follow the same bed time routine every night
    -I listen to a sleep meditation (flat headphones in headband)
    -I have a fan for white noise
    -I go to bed and wake up at the same time every night
    -the new diet is a LCHF and that is truly the one that made me start getting longer stretches of sleep and making it all night now. ( I use a fitbit to monitor my sleep and have for about a year).

I drink caffeine, a pretty respectable amount too, up until about 3pm (I am in bed by 9:15 wake up at 5:30)

Good Luck!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    -I take 100mg (are those the right units? I am at work so can't check) 5htp with dinner
    -I follow the same bed time routine every night
    -I listen to a sleep meditation (flat headphones in headband)
    -I have a fan for white noise
    -I go to bed and wake up at the same time every night
    -the new diet is a LCHF and that is truly the one that made me start getting longer stretches of sleep and making it all night now. ( I use a fitbit to monitor my sleep and have for about a year).

I drink caffeine, a pretty respectable amount too, up until about 3pm (I am in bed by 9:15 wake up at 5:30)

Good Luck!

5htp?? What is?

And I'm assuming LCHF is low carb, high fat? Me too, pretty much. I also use a fan for white noise.

I'm open for any and all suggestions!
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

5-Hydroxytryptophan, easy enough to find in stores, but I still think the biggest benefit came from the LCHF (yep low carb high fat) diet, but it took about 4 to 6 weeks before I saw sleep results. Well that and getting the sleep apnea taken care of (finding out about it and switching from the machine to the retainer.)

p.s. I no longer breath through my mouth and can now breath through my nose using the retainer because it opens the passages by pulling my jaw forward.
    Last edited by demuralist; 02-15-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add ps

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    5-Hydroxytryptophan, easy enough to find in stores, but I still think the biggest benefit came from the LCHF (yep low carb high fat) diet, but it took about 4 to 6 weeks before I saw sleep results. Well that and getting the sleep apnea taken care of (finding out about it and switching from the machine to the retainer.)

p.s. I no longer breath through my mouth and can now breath through my nose using the retainer because it opens the passages by pulling my jaw forward.
    I've been doing LCHF diet for over a year, but still have the sleep problem, unfortunately! LOTS of other health problems have disappeared, but not that one.
    Best--
    Kate

well, rats, cause that was the final piece of the puzzle for me. After all the obvious ones you see in the magazines and such.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have found that med herbs (PM for details) work great for my chronic sleep troubles.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011