Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Conquered Insomnia? page 10

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There was a time when I went through two of the "big stressors" at the same time, and the worry that kept me awake was literally making me a frazzled mess. After six weeks of almost no sleep, and never feeling like I was okay, I broke down and saw my doc. He prescribed 50 mg of trazodone. The pills are scored for easy cutting in half. At that time I took a half every night.

That was about three years ago. Now I just keep the bottle on my nighttable. I think I take about half a pill maybe 2-3x per month. No grogginess, no nightmares, no sleep eating. It just gets you to sleep, it doesn't keep you asleep. It's primary use is for anxiety, but a secondary use is for sleeping. I kind of know when I'm going to need one; it's that exhausted feeling where everything else in my body is screaming for sleep, but my brain refuses to shut down.

I know Rx isn't for everyone, but sometimes you just need to break a cycle.

I like the idea of the Buddhist monks teaching themselves to sleep when they weren't tired so they'd never be tired. That's such a Zen approach that it makes me smile.

cdmuscle is offline Junior Member
    Hi all,

As a newbie here I am just coming across a few of the ongoing posts. I wanted to let you know that I feel all your pain, anxiety and frustration about not sleeping. I am another person who has a VERY hard time getting and staying asleep. The only time I have to do my training is in the evening which can make going to sleep difficult, plus I have Restless Leg Syndrome so some nights my legs keep me up even if I am dead tired.

I met a person who has neuropathy and he swore by this stuff called Resurrect, so I bought some. Knocked me out cold. It's made by a supplement company called Fahrenheit (look it up to see if it contains anything you are uncomfortable taking). Just a warning, I took a HALF a dose and woke up the next morning with a hangover-like feeling that lasted most of the day.

Now I take just a small amount (barely enough covers the bottom of a small scoop) and it is much better. I have to say that I still wake up during the night (mostly my age - I'm 48) but going back to sleep is soooo easy. Another warning - it is expensive. I bought a small tub for almost $30, but at the rate I use it, it should last a very long time. I really hope this helps others, it sure made my life a little easier. I don't use it every night, but after 1-2 nights of not sleeping, I will use just the little I mention above. Morning coffee will get rid of any residual sluggish feeling (very minor).

Best to you.
    ***Project Under Construction***

Tammyhiles is offline Junior Member
    I have been an insomniac all of my life. Even as a young child I remember laying in bed night after night, trying to occupy my mind to starve off the crazies. It has stayed with me my whole life and I will probably have to deal with it forever. I'm lucky if I sleep 3 hours a night, if I sleep at all. I get an average of about 20-25 hours sleep in a week, sometimes a little more, sometimes less. Over the years I'v developed strategies to deal with the problems that sleep deprivation cause, but still sleep disorders are really a problem for me.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Siiigh, still having problems with the sleep thing. Yep, my age, partly (70), but good grief! I get off the computer usually by 7. We got the dimming program for our monitors so we don't get the blue light after sundown, in any case. I take melatonin and calcium and valerian, and drink a cup of Sleepytime Extra tea. I GO right to sleep (ok, after 20 minutes or so), but all too often wake up multiple times after 2 or so with a dry mouth. Take a sip, back to sleep, wake up, take a sip...meh!

I even tried a small spoon of coconut oil in the evening, said to help. But...
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Kate - have you tried magnesium ?????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Not as a separate supplement, no...it's in my multi, but I take that earlier in the day. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I take mine at night Kate, and I also read until I can't keep my eyes open. I figure that I can get to sleep initially, so by the time the magnesium takes hold, it will keep me asleep for a wee bit longer. I sometimes still get up in the night, but when I have my mag I seem to get back to sleep alot easier. I didn't like taking the melatonin stuff - full of sugar
    anyway good luck and keep us posted on your progress
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Kate, two questions:
    -Are you sure you are hydrating enough during the day?
    -Are you congested/do you sleep with your mouth open?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

[QUOTE=NZ primal Gwamma;1097009]I take mine at night Kate, and I also read until I can't keep my eyes open. I figure that I can get to sleep initially, so by the time the magnesium takes hold, it will keep me asleep for a wee bit longer. I sometimes still get up in the night, but when I have my mag I seem to get back to sleep alot easier. I didn't like taking the melatonin stuff - full of sugar]

Thanks, I read till I'm sleepy, too. I'll add the magnesium to the "I'll try that" list! Melatonin's full of sugar?!?
    Best--
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Kate, two questions:
    -Are you sure you are hydrating enough during the day?
    -Are you congested/do you sleep with your mouth open?
    Hi nameless...I think I drink enough. I like water, I drink coffee (before noon only) and herbal tea, so maybe that's not it?

Second question, I have very small nasal passages, so yes, I often wake with my silly mouth open. I keep threatening to tie my jaw shut like Jacob Marley in A Christmas Carol! I find that if I take a Benadryl when I wake up I usually sleep through better, but BOY do I hate to habitually take pills. That and the fact that I'm allergic to nuts, for which I carry Benadryl...I'd really hate for it to not work from overuse if I inadvertently got into something with nuts!
    Best--
    Kate

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast