Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't increase carbs without MAJOR weight gain! page

lookingforanswers is offline Senior Member

Can't increase carbs without MAJOR weight gain!

Primal Fuel
    Looking for thoughts/ideas on what's going on here. I've never been overweight, but I've been on a VLC paleo diet the past year or so just because I felt better and thought it was helping with some bacterial (candida) overgrowth issues. I'm at the point now where I'm starting to work out more and am feeling sluggish.

I'm trying to add in a few more carbs to help with my thyroid and just give me a bit of an energy boost and I'm finding that if I go over 40 gm/day I am gaining MAJOR weight! Any ideas on why this is happening and how to resolve it? I don't mind being low carb, but 40 gm per day is really nothing. I'd like to be able to at least double that.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingforanswers View Post
    Looking for thoughts/ideas on what's going on here. I've never been overweight, but I've been on a VLC paleo diet the past year or so just because I felt better and thought it was helping with some bacterial (candida) overgrowth issues. I'm at the point now where I'm starting to work out more and am feeling sluggish.

I'm trying to add in a few more carbs to help with my thyroid and just give me a bit of an energy boost and I'm finding that if I go over 40 gm/day I am gaining MAJOR weight! Any ideas on why this is happening and how to resolve it? I don't mind being low carb, but 40 gm per day is really nothing. I'd like to be able to at least double that.
    Define major weight and what carbs are you adding? Also, don't quite get the carbs/thyroid connection, but have you checked your iodine levels?

need some specifics here. a/s/l?

just kidding.

height / weight / bf%?

what's your definition of major weight?

what carb sources are you consuming to exceed 40g per day?

maybe try this: eat 250g worth of carbs from sweet potatoes / white rice on each day for two days. weigh yourself. go back to your normal carb consumption for two days, then weigh yourself.

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Is this real weight that you see or feel or scale weight? If you increase carbs the scale may reflect higher numbers due retained water per gram of carb ingested. Have you given some time for your body to adjustment?

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    It's just water, your body isn't used to carbs so of course it's going to bloat
    up and hold water.

So whatcha do, is increase your carbs to 80 a day, drink a crap ton of water during the
    day as well, let your body get used to the carbs and the water, then within a week, your
    body will let go of the carb bloat.

It'll be uncomfortable at first, but worth it in the long run.

For every carb you eat, your body holds onto 3 grams of water. Once it gets used to your
    updated carb intake, it'll let go of any excess.

Trust me.

I'd been low carb since about 1996 and the same thing happened.

One day I just said fook it and upped my healthy carbs to 150 a day.

I gained 7lbs of water weight over night, but it was gone the next week.... and then
    you know what happened? I lost an f-ton of weight after increasing carbs.

Go figger!

Julie

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    hormones out of whack, go find out which ones and deal with it
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    The thyroid problem that the OP may be talking about, could possibly be ESS (euthyroid sick syndrome),
    and is remedied by upping carbs.

I know cuz I had it.

I was low carb for so long that something started going wonky. I was always freezing and I started
    having a bit of hair loss. I could not for the LIFE of me lose any more weight/fat/whatever you wanna
    call it. Then I upped my carbs and it was magic. Temp went back up to 99.1 (my norm) from 96.5, daily.
    Hair stopped falling out (it wasn't much, but enough to notice), and I was a hell of a lot happier. Weight
    loss was steady after that as well.

Damn low carb! I was so sucked in! 400 years later, I know better. Sigh.

Julie

otzi Guest
    Are you, or do you suspect, you are hypothyroid? When I was getting my thyroid straightened out, carbs would bloat me up 7-10 lbs in a few days after eating them. Now, it doesn't have that effect. If you don't know, get tested.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingforanswers View Post

For every gram of glycogen you store, you will store 3-4g of water.

This means if you eat 100g of carbohydrate, your scale will go up a pound thanks to your muscles storing glycogen.

You are coming from a state of constant muscle glycogen depletion and suddenly, your poor body, which has been going through agonizing hell from being constantly depleted on a chronic low carbohydrate diet, starts having muscles with readily available energy stores. The scale increases. Your body fat doesn't.

So, are you gaining FAT, or are you gaining muscle glycogen and water weight? I bet the latter. THROW AWAY THE SCALE.

BTW, low carbohydrate/low sodium diets are typically responsible for thyroid issues. Carbing up periodically often helps regulate your metabolism, as does increasing your intake of good quality sodium (like Himalayan sea salt). But again, you'll retain water from the sodium and carbs. I can fluctuate my weight about 15 lbs in a week if I mess with salt and carbs just for fun, but I can dump it in 3 days by going VLC/no salt. It's not real weight.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-16-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "your poor body, which has been going through agonizing hell from being constantly depleted on a chronic low carbohydrate diet"

Do you have any support for this assertion? I have never read that eating low carb is necessarily 'dangerous' for the body.

I've eaten low carb for years, and all my lab tests are always superb, I work out regularly, and I feel great. My body does not seem to be experiencing any 'agonizing hell.'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast