Thread: Water: Filter or not? page

kilton is offline Junior Member

Curious what everyone thinks about water filters. It's not encouraging when I smell chlorine in my tap water, but I wonder if these carbon filters can potentially leak and make things worse?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

One minute with the local search brought up all kinds of threads where this was previously discussed, kilton. But the best information is at this one, with the pertinent and informative posting by On The Bayou, third one down. (Yes, joking.)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...getable-Washer

hippie_mama is offline Member

I don't think carbon can hurt you, since you're made of it

We have well water, but our "homeowner's association" (i use the term loosely) doesn't maintain it properly, so we use a pitcher with a carbon filter. We even refill the activated charcoal in the filter ourselves and save quite a lot of cash that way.

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Natural water with its naturally occurring minerals is best, of course. But who has access to that in unlimited quantities?

Charcoal gets a lot of impurities like chlorine and I don't think the dust is harmful at all. It is certainly better than nothing. But if you're in an urban environment, I think a reverse osmosis filter system (including charcoal) is much better. That way you'll get all the minerals and most of the contaminants that the charcoal filters miss. You miss out on the good trace minerals, but urban tap water seems to have a lot more bad than good.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I use a Britta water filter because my tap water is really nasty. I can even taste it in strong coffee.

OK, folks, re-read my post. Please. The misinformation is starting again. I was the filtration products sales engineer for a large distributor years ago so I do know a bit about these matters, besides personal use and experience.

Little filters like the Britta and faucet end don't do squat. Not enough charcoal area, not enough time in the media unless you manually do it very, very slowly.

All R.O. systems use charcoal filters to remove chlorine and other tastes and to protect the R.O. membrane. They have to be replaced "from time to time." YMMV.

Charcoal is harmless. It is used orally as an absorbent for poison in ER's. Minerals are seldom harmful, OTOH, there isn't enough to be beneficial.

In the old days, almost all well water in Florida was "sulfur water", that rotten egg smell and taste from hydrogen sulfide. Even city water in Sarasota was enough to make me almost retch when we moved here in 1959. And since there was no R.O. in those days, there was no cheap bottled water, only energy intensive distilled.

Well, now they use a lot of surface water, too, and probably some sulfide removal (it's easy, via aeration) to meet EPA specs (darned government protecting my palette!) and I find the water tolerable. But the giant charcoal filter I put in 25 years ago is my go-to source of drinking water.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

I invested in a reverse osmosis drinking water system and I love it, though it was initially very pricey. RO is the *only* process that gets fluoride out of water, and the evidence is that that's extremely bad for you (especially if you have thyroid disease), to say nothing of all other contaminants (nitrates, etc.). I used to use a Brita but there is absolutely no comparison. There are plenty of other ways to get minerals, right?

http://www.holisticmed.com/fluoride/

http://fluoridedangers.blogspot.com/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Plenty of natural fluoride in the well waters of central Florida. The natives way back when had no cavities.......... That's how "they" figured out fluorine in water was effective in preventing cavities. It's natural in Florida.

I have no problem with it. It's probably in my city water here on the coast.