Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lara bars....yes or no? page

balanced is offline Member

Lara bars....yes or no?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I treat myself to a Lara Bar once every couple weeks. My favorite is the peanut butter cookie flavor. Prior to becoming primal I considered it a healthy snack due to its few simple ingredients and would consume one daily. After I adopted the PB lifestyle I eliminated all processed and packaged foods as well as cut back on carbs. I know snacking is frowned upon in the PB community BUT....is the Lara Bar (weighing in at 24 carbs ....all from fruit and nuts) an acceptable treat/snack in the PB community?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I think they're fine. They're just dense nut and fruit, sometimes with a bit of chocolate. If you tolerate them and they don't hinder goals, they're fine IMO.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    With a little googling I'd say they seem quite ok. Except for the once with peanuts in them. It's not the worst thing you can do. But the larabars without peanuts seem perfectly within PB, so if it's an acceptable trade of I'd go for one without the legumes and not worry at all.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I’ll eat one occasionally (because they are delicious). I used to eat them as a snack but nowadays it’s an infrequent treat. Just stay away from the ones with chocolate chips because they have sugar in them. Do a search. There have been a lot of threads on this forum about Larabars.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I look at those bars and immediately think "I'll need to eat a whole box in order to be satisfied." They are tiny. They taste alright. All bars piss me off due to the unsatisfactory feeling I get post consumption.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I just discovered the ones with the chocolate chips........at least they don't have wheat in them. A half of one would be enough to satify a brownie craving.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    As long as they fit into your overall calorie goals, they're fine. I would pair them with low-level cardio activity, personally. They're very calorically dense, so I'd keep them away from sedentary days, and the high fat content would keep them out of my diet for lifting days, but if you're going hiking, doing a cancer walk or super long bike ride or something where you're burning a lot of fat for fuel, they're a great energy boost. Just note they're very high in omega 6 polyunsaturated fat - though it is a natural, unprocessed source with the proper accompanying antioxidants - so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-16-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    They're my equivalent to candy bars. I absolutely LOVE the cherry pie bar.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    They're probably the best "bar" out there. I eat one or two per week, usually when I'm hungry but don't need an actual meal. They don't satisfy when you eat them, but 10 minutes later the edge is off. I don't consider them health food, but neither are they actively "bad" for you.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    i used to love the cashew cookie one

havent had a larabar in a long time, but they used to be somewhat of a staple for me

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast