Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bag of potatoes...? page

mandabear2010 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hey guys, So I purchased a bag of potatoes BEFORE i learned about PB and it has been sitting in my pantry staring me in the eyes for a week and a half. I am not sure what to do with them. It would feel AWFUL to waste them and I am going to use a few for a soup I am making for the rest of the week... but... I mean... Are potatoes SUPER bad or what do i do?

Manda

Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Athena is offline Senior Member

Im in the same exact situation...Im thinking of dropping them by some homeless people...

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

homeless people or food pantry of some sort would be good...

I've been eating potatoes lately though. I think people here normally avoid them because they're carby/starchy without much nutritious value, but I don't think they're anti-nutritious the way wheat and corn and such are.

I just load mine up with tons of butter, sour cream, and cheese... and bacon.

Or julienne them and make hash browns (fried in bacon grease, topped with cheese). Or make french fries (recipe on my blog).

But I'm kind of using them as a vehicle to get fat into my body right now - still getting out of the "pregnancy aversions" woods so to speak. And potatoes are "safe" because they're so bland.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Prowler Guest

In many cases, potatoes are as bad, or worse, as eating pure refined sugar.

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

i dunno about that. there are many varieties of potato, and tubers seem to crop up (haha) a fair bit in paleo eating, even before pastoral gardening and neolithic agriculture.

i would try a tiny amount of potato (like one small one) with lots of fixins like butter and bacon, etc. and if you feel all bloaty or something afterwards, then give them away. but if not, you can eat one now and again loaded down with nice good fats and protein.

i think richard nikoley's own experiments along these lines over at freetheanimal are pretty instructive regarding potatoes. and experimenting, to me, is a pretty primal way to go.

it may be that the 'potato is always equal to a glob of sugar' is a primal CW thing and to be worked through individually.

Prowler Guest

I'm just saying, primal or not - the glycemic index of potatoes is well known and tested. In many cases, they do digest into glucose extremely rapidly. Since that is something that many people are trying to avoid, I think it's worth stating.

verdilak is offline Member

I would give them away, or plant them in the ground.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Depends on your potato.

The floury old spuds - probably sugar bombs.

The waxy new spuds - probably not so bad.

Also they should keep for ages in the right conditions so you could use the odd one to thicken a soup or on a salad.

Otherwise, I'm sure they would be appreciated at a local shelter, especially if it's still cold where you live

robmedina is offline Member

If you are in your maintenance stage I would say one once in awhile wouldnt be terrible, but if you are trying to loose weight, eating potatoes will just set you back. You will get an sugar spike that will produce more insulin which will spike hunger and cause you to eat unnecessarily.

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

I occasionally use potatoes, very sparingly, but I love them and they go in my 20% from time to time. However, I grow the fingerling types in my garden which are closer to the ancestral potatoes and have a very waxy texture. They have an awesome taste as well. If you've ever tasted home-grown potatoes, you will never buy the store versions again. The same with tomatoes. I did see fingerlings at the store the other day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast