Thread: New to BP, but determined to make it work. Can you help? page

Laura72 is offline Junior Member

New to BP, but determined to make it work. Can you help?

Hi there. Can anybody give me a few ideas on meals that can be eaten on this plan? Also can you give me an idea of quantities considering I am a 5foot 7inch - 150pounds woman? I am currently on a diet plan here in the UK which is all real food based, but the lady who has come up with this plan says that nuts must be avoided while trying to lose weight. This is because they contain carbs and fats in high quantities which means they tend to hinder weight loss. If you guys do eat nuts, coconut and the likes, can you tell me if you also eat dairy? And how much of each? I know these sound like very strange questions, but I am trying to figure out why the introduction of nuts works on some diet plan and it doesn't on others.
    Also do you have any suggestions on how to approach the BP for the first time?
    Any help will be much appreciated.

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Here is my advice:

On meals - meat, coloured veg and tubers. Last night, for example, I had leg of lamb steak with creamed cabbage and carrots fried in butter and roast sweet potato. Eggs and bacon. Salad with a can of fish (I use mackerel). Here in the UK we depend on the season for fresh veggies so eat lots of cabbage and roots now!

On nuts and dairy - I used to eat them regularly as a snack, but I've found them too addicting to have, and Grok wasn't consuming that many nuts so we shouldn't either. Now I avoid snacking altogether so I feel no need for them. If you really want to lose weight I'd forget about nuts and coconut (except for coconut milk as a dressing or sauce) or as a limit use them to add to main meals, such as a few walnuts on a salad. High fat dairy is fine if you're not allergic. I eat yoghurt, butter and cream and feel it adds to my diet rather than diminishes it. Plus, butter is way too good not to eat

Other suggestions - if you're taking away grains and sugar cold turkey, make sure you add fat in. Don't go crazy, but be liberal with butter and animal fat or whatever you're using. Stick to clean sources and eat large meals rather than snack all day. Also, when you feel ready and primed, try intermittent fasting - details of which you can find on this and countless other blogs and articles.

Hope that helps have fun!

PS where in the UK are you from?

Laura72 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much for your reply! Thank God I am not going cold turkey with the sugar and carbs as I have been avoiding them for a couple of years now (with the odd "fall of the wagon"!). So no problems on that front. Your views on nuts make a lot of sense and it's pretty much what other members from the other diet I am following say.
    I will give it a go and see what happens. I would like to lose 6 to 8 kilos, but at this point if I were to lose even only 4 I'd be rather happy!
    BTW I am based in Surrey, what about you?

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    You should find plenty of info on these boards and on MDA. But really, any meal with meat and veggies is a good start. Just take away grains and most carbs.

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura72 View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply! Thank God I am not going cold turkey with the sugar and carbs as I have been avoiding them for a couple of years now (with the odd "fall of the wagon"!). So no problems on that front. Your views on nuts make a lot of sense and it's pretty much what other members from the other diet I am following say.
    I will give it a go and see what happens. I would like to lose 6 to 8 kilos, but at this point if I were to lose even only 4 I'd be rather happy!
    BTW I am based in Surrey, what about you?
    What diet are you following, just out of curiosity? If it's based on real food than I don't think you have anything to worry about - your body will naturally go to where it wants to be

And I am from Reading in Berkshire, so not far

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Eat real/Primal food when you are hungry, until you are no longer hungry.
    No more than three instances of eating per day (no snacks).

Start there for a month or so. Make adjustments as needed after that.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mark has two very nice cookbooks that will get you started, and I hear that Sara Fragoso's cookbook is great too. Google "paleo eating blog" and look at all the recipes out there.
    Good luck!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/