Thread: Intervals, intervals, intervals. From today's NYTimes... page

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member

Intervals, intervals, intervals. From today's NYTimes...

Shop Now
    Phys Ed: How Interval Training Can Improve Health - NYTimes.com

In unfit but otherwise healthy middle-aged adults, two weeks of modified HIIT training prompted the creation of far more cellular proteins involved in energy production and oxygen. The training also improved the volunteersí insulin sensitivity and blood sugar regulation, lowering their risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, according to a study published last fall in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
    Mark's vindication once again.

Like the article says, athletes have known, pretty much forever, that interval training improves performance, but the common wisdom has alwasy been that you need to have a base level of fitness before performing intervals. Here's more evidence that turns that on it's head - you're better off to start with the intervals.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    Hahahaha! Here's a comment. Think it's from someone on this board??

This is how we have been exercising for millions of years - running from danger in short spurts and lifting heavy objects. Endurance training stresses both our body and immune system, resulting in inflammation and decreased bone health.

Run some sprints or lift some heavy objects - it's quick, fun, and more heathy than beating up your joints with jogging and other chronic cardio.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

The Scott is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    For general health I completely agree and sports performance. I am a huge fan of interval conditioning work but I have recently figured out though that most things work their magic the best (as far as body comp and muscle) when youre already lean. Lets say for men anything under 12% especially if youve been a fatboy for a long time.

Before this you will get all of the benefits that intervals have except for a great change in your physique. Once a person is lean and held it for a bit of time, they can just about do any sort of routine they want and stay lean or grow muscle etc

I am speaking in a lot of generalities but this seems to hold true with most people