Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making weight and competing in BJJ page

bobbybrown is offline Junior Member

Making weight and competing in BJJ

Primal Fuel
    So, I've searched for some applicable advice on making weight and competing in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (similar intensity to Wrestling, Judo, Sambo for those who don't know), but I can't find anything specific.

This morning, I was 152.2lbs @ 5'6" I haven't done an accurate measurement, but I'd guess I'm about 7 to 8% body fat. When I compete in 2 weeks, I need to weight 150lbs. I have about 15 minutes between the weigh-ins and when I step on the mat to fight, so there's no time to cut water weight. I'm currently running about 2 to 3 miles in the morning before breakfast and training at night for about 3 hours. The weight is coming off slow, but steady, so I am confident I can make the 150lbs goal. I have a few questions though:

1) I train very hard 3 to 4 days per week at night for about 3 hours. I do two classes which are 20 to 30 minutes of running and calisthenics to warm up, 30 to 40 minutes of drilling techniques and 30 to 45 minutes of training/ sparring. I'd like to get in some carbs from sweet potato to refuel for the next day after training since I'm feeling tired in the mornings. If I eat 1/2 sweet potato after training to keep my energy levels up for the next day, will it be harder to lose the extra weight?

2) What foods increase water storage? I know that grains, fiber and salts can leave you feeling bloated by absorbing a ton of water which will increase my weight. Are there any foods I should avoid that would increase water storage?

3) What is a lightweight food that provides a good amount of consistent energy? I've been looking into trying some Pemmican for breakfast before I compete since it has about 400 calories with tons of fat and protein and weighs very little and then munching on some fruits and nuts to keep my energy up. I have a very nervous stomach and will focus on being hydrated throughout the day, but depending on when my match is scheduled, I might have quite a while to wait.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    you'll be fine. most of the fighters i know and work with are anywhere from 5-10lbs over even 2 days out. those last few lbs are all water. keep training normally and do your thing

question. how is it that you weigh in and then compete 15 minutes later? most of the comps i am familiar with weigh in in the morning and then fight/compete much later in the day or in the evening

It's an IBJJF event (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation). To keep the weight cutting (dehydration) to a minimum and speed the tournaments (which are often 1 to 5 days in length), this is what happens: you register online weeks before the competition and about 5 days before the competition registration is closed. A few days later, a schedule and list of competitors and brackets are released. They're very good at scheduling everything and are normally right on time. When your division is called according to schedule, you go to the warm-up area where you check-in with the officials, get your uniform checked and then weigh-in. After that's all done, the officials walk the whole bracket out to the appropriate mat and then competition starts.
    If you don't make weight, you don't compete there is NO allowance! I've competed in the past at lightweight which is 167.5lbs, but this year I am competing at featherweight which is 154lbs.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    It's an IBJJF event (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation). To keep the weight cutting (dehydration) to a minimum and speed the tournaments (which are often 1 to 5 days in length), this is what happens: you register online weeks before the competition and about 5 days before the competition registration is closed. A few days later, a schedule and list of competitors and brackets are released. They're very good at scheduling everything and are normally right on time. When your division is called according to schedule, you go to the warm-up area where you check-in with the officials, get your uniform checked and then weigh-in. After that's all done, the officials walk the whole bracket out to the appropriate mat and then competition starts.
    If you don't make weight, you don't compete there is NO allowance! I've competed in the past at lightweight which is 167.5lbs, but this year I am competing at featherweight which is 154lbs.
    San Fran Open? You Lucky West-coasters get almost all the tournaments.

Where do you train and what belt are you competing at?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    San Fran Open? You Lucky West-coasters get almost all the tournaments.

Where do you train and what belt are you competing at?
    I'm a purple belt at Alliance in Mpls, MN and will be representing at the Chicago Open in March. You're right, all the West coasters get the good tournaments! I wish I could compete more, but I don't have the funds or time to fly to the larger IBJJF tournaments every month and the smaller ones here is the Midwest suck.

I'm thinking that I'll have a protein shake made with almond milk along with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil for breakfast. I'll also take my Vitamin D and fish oil as usual. About an hour before I compete I'll eat a banana dipped in an almond butter and raw honey mixture.

Do you train? Where? Any nutrition tips?

I'm thinking i might do

how has your weight loss been progressing? have you stalled? how strict are you with your paleo?

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    how has your weight loss been progressing? have you stalled? how strict are you with your paleo?
    Pretty strict. I'll occasionally have a small cheat meal. There was a work party two weeks ago with Sushi, Sake, Vodka, Beet salad, cabbage rolls, pasta, salad, wine, tacos and margaritas and I just couldn't resist. Other than that, I'm doing pretty well. I'd say 95% Paleo. After the holidays I ballooned up to 167lbs on Januray 1st and I'm currently around 152lbs. I hovered around 154lbs for about 2 weeks and added in some running (HIIT at a local hill and some 2 to 3 mile jogs) in the mornings and now I'm starting to lose more.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    LOL so conincidental Ive been dehyrating today to practice weight losing for a kickboxing competition.

Ive researched alot, and gone for high water two days out, then very low water one day out, combined with natural diuretics.

Results? hasnt worked like prescribed.

My theroey is, on primal I eat less carbs and added salts which give the average joe average higher water retention day to day. My body is really efficient with water regulation, and the diretics have no effect (I did it properly to make myself piss, 13 500mg dandilion root extract tables in 24 hours, but nothing)
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    Pretty strict. I'll occasionally have a small cheat meal. There was a work party two weeks ago with Sushi, Sake, Vodka, Beet salad, cabbage rolls, pasta, salad, wine, tacos and margaritas and I just couldn't resist. Other than that, I'm doing pretty well. I'd say 95% Paleo. After the holidays I ballooned up to 167lbs on Januray 1st and I'm currently around 152lbs. I hovered around 154lbs for about 2 weeks and added in some running (HIIT at a local hill and some 2 to 3 mile jogs) in the mornings and now I'm starting to lose more.
    keep it clean. meat, fats, veggies. some sweet potatoes. probably not even any dairy

maybe cycle carbs a bit. go very low on non-training days. and i would say no alcohol for at least the last month. maybe longer.
    Last edited by not on the rug; 02-16-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    LOL so conincidental Ive been dehyrating today to practice weight losing for a kickboxing competition.

Ive researched alot, and gone for high water two days out, then very low water one day out, combined with natural diuretics.

Results? hasnt worked like prescribed.

My theroey is, on primal I eat less carbs and added salts which give the average joe average higher water retention day to day. My body is really efficient with water regulation, and the diretics have no effect (I did it properly to make myself piss, 13 500mg dandilion root extract tables in 24 hours, but nothing)
    Check this article out: How to Lose 30 Pounds in 24 Hours: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Weight

I've cut up to 8 lbs using the Epsom salt and hot bath method and it works very well for me! Basically I just fill up the until it is super hot, almost to the point that it hurts, then I dump in a large bag of Epsom salt and submerse myself in the water. I jump in for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time and then jump out and towel dry and check my weight. After you've lost the correct amount of weight, put on some heavy sweat pants, get in the car and head to the weigh-ins. After the weigh-ins, drink a mix of pedialyte and water. I like a 1:1 ratio and prefer the grape flavored pedialyte. I drink that to rehydrate and then eat small meals every few hours or so to recover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast