Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making weight and competing in BJJ page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    I'm a purple belt at Alliance in Mpls, MN and will be representing at the Chicago Open in March. You're right, all the West coasters get the good tournaments! I wish I could compete more, but I don't have the funds or time to fly to the larger IBJJF tournaments every month and the smaller ones here is the Midwest suck.

I'm thinking that I'll have a protein shake made with almond milk along with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil for breakfast. I'll also take my Vitamin D and fish oil as usual. About an hour before I compete I'll eat a banana dipped in an almond butter and raw honey mixture.

Do you train? Where? Any nutrition tips?
    bobbybrown - Oh, my bad. I was thinking based on the timeline that you were out in Northern California. I do train. At a Humaita-affiliated (Royler) school in New Jersey. I wish you the best of luck, but I have to decline to offer any help to the opposing teams. I hope you take it as a sign of respect.

To the others - Cutting water weight really isn't an option for a IBJJF-run (read: real) Jiu Jitsu tournament. You literally have between 0 and 15 minutes between stepping off the scale and stepping onto the mats. They weigh you with the gi (kimono) on and the division begins.

The intensity is like wrestling, but Purple Belts like the OP fight for 7 minutes straight (1-round matches) in a single elimination format until there's a Champion. You're guaranteed 7 minutes rest between matches, which is not time enough to rehydrate, even if you were going into the first match dehydrated. Even amateurs fighting MMA (same-day weigh-ins) have several hours to put a couple of pounds of water back into their systems, but that's not the case with these tournaments.

bobbybrown is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    bobbybrown - Oh, my bad. I was thinking based on the timeline that you were out in Northern California. I do train. At a Humaita-affiliated (Royler) school in New Jersey. I wish you the best of luck, but I have to decline to offer any help to the opposing teams. I hope you take it as a sign of respect.

To the others - Cutting water weight really isn't an option for a IBJJF-run (read: real) Jiu Jitsu tournament. You literally have between 0 and 15 minutes between stepping off the scale and stepping onto the mats. They weigh you with the gi (kimono) on and the division begins.

The intensity is like wrestling, but Purple Belts like the OP fight for 7 minutes straight (1-round matches) in a single elimination format until there's a Champion. You're guaranteed 7 minutes rest between matches, which is not time enough to rehydrate, even if you were going into the first match dehydrated. Even amateurs fighting MMA (same-day weigh-ins) have several hours to put a couple of pounds of water back into their systems, but that's not the case with these tournaments.
    No offense taken! I guess I don't see the conflict of helping someone from another team as we're all in the journey together and part of a BJJ family, but if you see it that way I'm fine with that--a bit of healthy competition huh? Good luck with the training. If you're ever in Minneapolis, feel free to stop by.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    No offense taken! I guess I don't see the conflict of helping someone from another team as we're all in the journey together and part of a BJJ family,
    Sure we are. Just means I consider you a threat to any closer-affiliated teammates that might be in your division! I hope you're taking it as a compliment and that you'll reach out if you're ever gonna be in NJ too.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Sure we are. Just means I consider you a threat to any closer-affiliated teammates that might be in your division! I hope you're taking it as a compliment and that you'll reach out if you're ever gonna be in NJ too.
    I'm actually super pissed about this!

Jk, I get you now. No worries! Just trained for 3 hours, now I'm eating a chicken breast with some salsa and roasted sweet potato with brocolli.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    I would drop the carbs significantly (with maybe a one day or one meal refeed) for a week until your weight drops to where you want it. Then, start adding more to your diet, but closely monitor your weight to see how you react. You might have to count calories on this one.

I don't know about you, but I shed bodyfat quite easily when I drop the carbs and I keep the same volume of BJJ. It can't sustain it for long though.

Thanks for all the help!

Btw, would it be better to eat dinner about 2 hours before practice around 4 pm and then train from 6:15 pm to 8:45pm* and then have an egg white protein shake with almond milk immediately after practice and then go to bed around 10:30 to 11:00 pm? Right now I am eating a small snack of tuna jerky around 4 pm (or not eating anything at all if I'm not hungry), going to training from 6:15 pm to 8:45 pm and then having dinner and then going to bed around 12:00 midnight. By adding in the protein shake I could get some nutrients in my body after I workout so I'm not tempted to eat a HUGE meal after training and I can get to bed earlier. Would this make any difference for dropping some fat?

*Monday, Wednesday- Beginner Class: 20 minutes of calisthenic warm-ups, 40 minutes drilling technique AND Advanced Class: 20 to 30 minutes of calisthenic warm ups, 30 to 40 minutes of drilling technique, 30 minutes of live rolling.

Jacksinhobjj is offline Junior Member
    1) 1/2 of a sweet potato will have almost ZERO affect on your ability to lose weight.

2) You've pretty much got it nailed. 1 gram of carbohydrate needs 3-4 grams of water to be processed by your body. Salt also increases water retention.

3) Cliff bars a great option for a high calorie-to-volume food.

Check it out if you still have questions.

I wrote a good overview for cutting weight at same day weigh in bjj tournaments on my site BJJWeightCut.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12