Thread: Ingrown toenails - Can poor nutrition be the cause page

ijmatthews is offline Junior Member

Ingrown toenails - Can poor nutrition be the cause

Hello everyone,

A family member is having an issue with ingrown toenails and I wanted to see if poor nutrition could be the cause.

To be nice, the guy doesn't exactly eat well. He rarely eats real food and is lucky to get anything green in his diet during the week.

He has had two ingrown toenails in the last month. Other causes aside, could nutrition play a factor with his toes?

Thanks.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how poor nutrition would cause that. It's more likely the way he's cutting his toenails and treating his feet.

You have to cut your toenails straight across, not curved around like you do your fingernails. Make sure shoes are not too tight and go barefoot as often as possible.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shoes are the problem. The vast majority of people wear shoes that are too small, too narrow and not really shaped like feet. He should get wide shoes or switch to sandals. He doesn't have to get all whack with "barefoot shoes."
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Chanda is offline Member
    Is there a way to get your toenails to grow straight? My big toe's entire left side of the nail curves down and back into the nail bed, and presses into the skin. Because it curves back under itself, I have to lift my toenail up to cut off as much of it as I can, or else it becomes painful from the pressure of the nail digging into the skin. It did not used to be that way. I've always worn wide shoes with enough wiggle room for my toes, but my diet up till now has been horrible. I'm hoping that one of the side benefits of being primal will be that my toenail straightens out. Is that even possible?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanda View Post
    Is there a way to get your toenails to grow straight? My big toe's entire left side of the nail curves down and back into the nail bed, and presses into the skin. Because it curves back under itself, I have to lift my toenail up to cut off as much of it as I can, or else it becomes painful from the pressure of the nail digging into the skin. It did not used to be that way. I've always worn wide shoes with enough wiggle room for my toes, but my diet up till now has been horrible. I'm hoping that one of the side benefits of being primal will be that my toenail straightens out. Is that even possible?
    Yes, I think you should give it a few months and see if you notice improvement.