Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canker Sores PLZ HELP!! page 2

elorajade is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Oh, and also a vitamin deficiency or due to poor diet, but if you're eating primal (tons of veggies and meat) that's not likely an issue.

SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

bergster1010 Guest

Thanks for all the tips!! I have switched toothpaste about 5 years ago. I use Biotene which does not have SLS (i am pretty sure). I have never thought of my life as stressful...i am never overworked with homework and i love life. Also i play tennis for the college team so i have a break between school life. I have been eating alot of eggs lately...so maybe that is a problem. ibd...you mentioned nuts, i eat A LOT OF NUTS i need to get extra calories because i am so active, it would be hard for me to cut these out of my diet but i will give it a try! I used to take a vitamin D pill every morning but stopped about 3 months ago. I have never taken fish oil supplements, so maybe give that a try as well?

I used to take L-Lysyne like 10 years ago, and never saw any improvement. But I have some in the cupboard so maybe I will start with that too.

I have tried to eliminate adding salt to food so I will see how that works out. Also, I have been eating alot of clementines lately as well so I will stop with those.

I suppose I shall start a journal for these damn things (canker sores). I would like to know though if anyone has gotten them from eating more eggs??? I love eggs and there is NO WAY i would be able to give these up!

Thanks ALL!!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Chad, I've been thinking over your questions about canker sores, and your using a lot of nuts to keep up your calorie intake.

I haven't thought of nuts as being a lysine/vegetable protein balance problem, but I suppose they might be if the amounts were large enough. Maybe it might be good to make yourself a little experiment to see which is doing what to you.

I have trouble figuring out what to eat when I need to just grab a bite and go (or am on the go already). I think that the real answer to this is to keep cold meat in the fridge -- chicken, roast, whatever -- which I can just carve, dump in a ziploc bag and out the door. Instead I tend toward a cheese habit, or I grab a wad of peanut butter. I don't think either of these are very good for me, except once in a long while.

Looking for alternatives, I wonder if you've explored the idea of making pemmican? Meat is dried and pounded, fat rendered, berries dried, then it's all mixed together. It was the Indians' travel food. If you have a good source of clean grassfed meat and fat, and can find some small berries (like little blueberries for instance), and don't have too many diabetes issues (you'd have to adjust the amount of berries in the mix) this might be an interesting way to go. Make up a big batch, it keeps very well, then grab a small container to take with you when you need calories and don't want to stop eating Primal.

If you try this for about two weeks, with no nuts, and then go back to the nuts and lay off the pemmican, you might have your answer as to whether (or NOT) nuts are making you too prone to canker sores. No sense laying off a particular favorite food if it isn't the problem.

Haven't made the stuff yet myself -- my sister swears by it, though.

PMAC is offline Member

L-Arginine will trigger them! Check any and all supplements to make sure they do not contain added L-Arginine. Ditto the L-Lysine, proven to be as effective as prescription meds. When you feel one coming on you really have to take massive amounts of it.

bergster1010 Guest

Thanks for the advice piano doctor. I will try and make some of that.

PMAC do normal primal foods have L-Arginine in them? What foods usually do?

PMAC is offline Member

It does occur naturally in food (proteins meat and dairy) which the L-Lysine supplementation helps offset. What you don't want to do is take any supplement with it in it as this will upset the "natural balance" Some Whey is high in it as well as a lot of body building supplements. If you use whey make sure Arginine has not been added (some of the muscle head formulas add it - there is some naturally in whey) Since I strengthened my immune system (vit D3 and proper whole food diet, I do consume raw dairy)and supplement with lysine (500mg per day) I have not had a an outbreak. If you feel one coming take 4000 mg L-Lysine and another 1000 every 3-4 hours and it will nip it in the bud. Good luck.

rdwdawg is offline Junior Member

Not the least bit primal, but mouth wash has really helped me with canker sores. I can feel one coming on and gargle with mouth wash in the morning and evening and that usually takes care of the problem.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Another couple thoughts about this -- I believe that ornithine causes them as well as arginine.

Also, when you take lysine by tablet or capsule, it works best if you take it on an empty stomach or at least away from other protein food. You want the lysine to dominate instead of getting mixed with the other aminos.

rozska is offline Senior Member
    I just ran into this as well -- developed horrible canker sores yesterday, after being primal for a short-ish time. At first I blamed primal eating, then I thought about it, and remembered that eating too many veggies from the nightshade family also causes them. I made the most *marvelous* curry, that had onions, eggplant, and tomatoes in it. *sigh* Am going to have to give it to one of my neighbors.

One thing about L-Lysine (and all supplements): buy from a reputable brand. Supplements aren't regulated, and most don't contain what they claim. University of Maryland did a study of glucosamine supplements-- out of 14 brands tested, 11 had trace amounts or no glucosamine at all. Of the remaining 3, only 1 contained what it claimed. The other 2 had 2-3 times the amount of glucosamine they claimed -- which meant their process is shoddy, and another batch may contain considerably less.

I use something I get from my co-op called Super Lysine. Both the pills and the lip stuff reduce the time of infection for me. The other suggestion I have would be Thorne Research. They're the only supplement manufacturer I know who is pharmaceutical certified. And yes, take it on an empty stomach.
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I get a rash that's very much like canker sores if I eat too many strawberries, and the same thing happens to my daughter if she eats oranges. Seems to be a common problem with acidic fruits. (Pineapple, too, of course.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast