Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I giving him the right advice? page

jennf is offline Senior Member

Am I giving him the right advice?

Hubby finally started eating primally (yay!) and has about 25 lbs. to lose. In the past he has used Power90 or P90X as his workout routines and has had success losing fat and toning up with them, but is way overtrained by the end of them, which makes him stop exercising altogether, and he ends up gaining some, if not all, of the weight back. I'm trying to keep him from doing that this time around.

I'm trying to get him to work out smarter and he's definitely open to it, but I want to make sure I'm telling him the right thing to do. He likes being able to follow the videos for weights but doesn't really care for the cardio workouts.

My thought was to go ahead with P90X, using the weight routines only (3x/week - should he do the whole workout or only half since the exercises are all repeated?) then sprint once a week, do a yoga workout once a week (not P90X yoga - another TH yoga that is about 45 minutes) and do some moving slowly.

What do you think of this routine? Any changes I should make?

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like a sensible way to move forward. Make sure there is lots of walking just watch him for signs of over training.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    seems like he probably has a good core strength wise, why not just download the free PBF book for him and see if he can give it a go?
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    seems like he probably has a good core strength wise, why not just download the free PBF book for him and see if he can give it a go?
    Would if I could, but he doesn't like working out of a book (either do I). For some reason we both find it a lot easier to follow a video. Weird, I know, but it's what we do!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Seems like a reasonable plan to me. As for the strength routines and whether to do the whole thing or only half, I'm not sure exactly how long an average P90X weight routine is--I suppose it depends on how he feels and whether he's recovering well from each workout before the next one.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't seem bad, but of course I'd recommend barbell training, you can do it at a frequency that won't overtrain you, and there is a lifetime of progress to be made. Just add 2.5 lb to each side and go again, repeat as needed.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

mmapags is offline Member
    Personally, I am not a fan of PX 90. My feeling is it leads to overtraining and burnout or is discouraging to people who can't keep the pace. I follow The Primal Blueprint and it's fine. You can do it indefinitly without burn out. If your tired or dragging, sleep in and take it easy that day.

AlicecFrerichs is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like a sensible way to move forward.

Jett Airliner is offline Junior Member
    I do half a P90X workout every few days. Only the big ones. Chest and back only actually, would add in arms and shoulders if I was a normal person. Then I add some wall squats, planks, dips, jumprope, other stuff I enjoy. I love bodyweight stuff, and if you skip over all the breaks and hooplah, P90X has a pretty good system there.

I bet Kenpo and Plyo would be okay, too, if he is so inclined. I love heavy weight training, but I didn't feel myself progressing there. Maybe your husband would prefer lifting heavier things than himself. Who knows! He'll figure it out.

FitMountain is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been using P90X as the foundation of my fitness for about 3 years. Going primal the last 1 1/2 years. Following the program to a T isn't recommended for repeated consecutive use. 1 or 2 rounds per year is good for most people. Picking and choosing workouts 3x a week is a great idea and should be no problem on the primal diet. I'd say pick a suitable weight/rep range and crush the whole workout rather than cutting it short. Take more rest days as needed. I should also mention X Stretch is great for mobility!
    http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast