Thread: Boxing workout, heavy bag and jump rope page

IrishJJ27 is offline Junior Member

Boxing workout, heavy bag and jump rope

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Everyone,
    Would doing some 3 minute on 1 minute off rounds on a heavy bag and jump rope be considered "slow moving" or too chronic? I would love to mix it in with my "urban hikes". I know i could do my sprint workouts this way, but once a week on the heavy bag isnt enough. Also, beating the heavy bag is very primal right?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    get on the bag a few times a week if you want...it won't be chronic cardio unless you're going for a long time each workout. this sounds like fun to me, so i wouldn't really consider it a sprint or moving slowly...call it play. 3 minutes on, one minute off is a lot like playing a sport.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    lol you dont quite get "chronic" yet... unless you move in the same way for over 40 minutes at the same pace boxing is not chronic. The fact your are doing two exercise, anf your intensity will vary is not choric.

i love bag work, and would recomend interval training (I assume you know how to box too). Just do rounds. Or put it as part of a circuit with your jump rope as a station.

It is very primal. keep it to short intense bursts
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    lol you dont quite get "chronic" yet... unless you move in the same way for over 40 minutes at the same pace boxing is not chronic. The fact your are doing two exercise, anf your intensity will vary is not choric.

i love bag work, and would recomend interval training (I assume you know how to box too). Just do rounds. Or put it as part of a circuit with your jump rope as a station.

It is very primal. keep it to short intense bursts
    That's closer to a sprint, or interval training than it is to Chronic Cardio.

Chronic cardio, as I understand it:
    1. More than 40-45 minutes at a time.
    2. Steady state.
    3. Intense enough to deplete glycogen, but not intense enough to work fast-twitch muscle fibers.
    4. Done multiple times per week, with few recovery days.

You aren't hitting 1, 2, or 3 in a boxing workout. Call it "play" if you are that worried about it.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I'd class it as a sprint - assuming of course that you are going all out