Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver pain? page

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member

Liver pain?

Primal Fuel
    Has/Does anyone else get pain in their liver region? I'm starting to think it's from the whole whipping cream in my coffee. I've had bloodwork, ultrasound, xray and even a CAT scan and the only thing they can find is a "slight abnormality in left lobe of liver". My doctor said gallbladder spasms are common in people who lose a lot of weight, because they cut fat to lose, then start to eat "normal" again....but I didn't do this, my "diet" never ended because it was a lifestyle change and I learned early on that fat something to fear. I was just wondering if anyone else has had pains, almost like a side stitch when you run, but toward the center of your right side.
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

EileenC is offline Junior Member
    I've had it for years, and I'm pretty sure it's my gallbladder. It's gotten MUCH better since I went primal, but I still get twinges occasionally. I've had tests, and there are no stones and it's emptying properly. I find that heavy whipping cream will definitely trigger twinges/spasms. Other things do also, but I haven't quite figured out what.

Thanks Eileen! I noticed that my homemade full fat yogurt doesn't cause it, or some other fats, guess I'll play around. Might switch back to coconut milk in the coffee since it's a different type of fat. I've only had it since September and I'm so tired of it! My doctor kept trying to blame it on a "stressed muscle" that I keep aggravating.
    Heidi

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Since they found something unusual about your liver maybe see if there are any toxins in your environment. My first thoughts are obviously alcohol and fructose which can overwork the liver. Also avoid painkillers like ibuprofen. Avoid tap water (in hot drinks as well). Just a few things that cross my mind right now. What was your cholesterol like? High LDL can be a sign of liver problems too.

otzi Guest
    I had full-blown NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) a few years back. I had liver pain all the time. Not a sharp pain like you'd go to the ER for, but a dull pain that was always there. Laying on my right side made it worse.

After 3-4 mo on PB, the liver felt great and I have no sign of the NAFLD a year later. However, every now and then, I feel a little twinge in the liver area, just like what you described. It usually occurs in the evening after a particularly fat-fueled day.
    Good luck!

Thanks Jo and Otzi, I'll keep those tips in mind. I cut way back on my morning cream today and I'm feeling better today. I'm going to start using coconut milk again instead. I've also been SUPER tired, so I'm sure they are linked. I have been slacking on my primal/paleo eating the last few months, so I'm sure once I reign it back in and stay there that everything will work itself out.
    Heidi

I just looked at the bloodwork they did in September when the pain started and my LDL was 142, up from 102 the year prior. Maybe mild fatty liver? How do you fix that?
    Heidi

patski is offline Senior Member
    It COULD be your gallbladder. It hides under your liver.

Months ago, I found the blog of a microbiologist...I think. Something to that effect.

Anyway, he said your gallbladder gets sick, probably because you've been eating low fat for most of your life. All that bile solidifies and turns into stones. Then you start eating Primal/Paleo, and it suddenly has more work to do, but can't, because you're full of stones.

I'd tread carefully. Most doctors, allopathic and naturopathic will ALL tell you to stop eating fat. We know that's BS. Keep eating it, but increase your fat amount slowly. I've read that chamomile tea helps with breaking up gallstones too. IF that's your prob.

I've switched from Whipping Cream to Coconut milk in my coffee and it has helped big time!
    Heidi

activia is offline Senior Member
    HMmm I get pain sometimes right about at my last rib on my right rib cage alll the way to the farest right. I could take a marker and circle it its so precise. I only feel it when I'm sitting. The only thing I have managed to nail down as its almost always after a large meal Ex: car ride home on my way home after a thanksgiving meal

I've had general issues with my stomach in the past with pain moving around, spent the day in the hospital, they thought it was my appendix but it wasnt. I've had doctors say it was my gall bladder as well. I've been better since primal, well havent had any of these long spans of stomach pain..but I still get this side pain on occasion. I need to do more tracking to determine the exact cause.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast