Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What brands of extra virgin olive oil are REAL? page

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member

What brands of extra virgin olive oil are REAL?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am SO bummed/mad that my extra virgin olive oil is not real. I read the thread on here about how to tell if it is real by putting it in the fridge etc. Well, it turns out my EVOO is NOT real and I am pissed about it because the ingredients just say extra virgin olive oil. Isn't that false advertising and can't I sue them or something? lol I cannot afford to pay 9 dollars a bottle just to find out if it is real or not. I feel duped and it is really ridiculous because I am trying to do the right thing and be healthy and this is what happens? Do you know any brands that are REAL or that you have tested as well and they are the real deal? If I am paying for something, I expect to get what I pay for y'know?
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Buy California or at least US olive oil. Italians have been jacking up the supply for a long time. I trust Spanish olive oil, but wonder if the same kinds of fakes could be messing with that too.

Like a Virgin, but Not Quite: Olive Oil's Dirty Secret | Mother Jones

A good indicator of whether the oil is respectable is if it's in a dark bottle - if it's not in that the maker has no respect for the integrity of his product. Also, look at where it comes from. There's usually one cool place it's been packaged, but almost all grocery store olive oils come from two if not three continents (usually Italy, Tunisia, Turkey)! That's crap right there.
    Last edited by Lex26; 02-15-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    (My favorite at California gourmet shops is Bariani)
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I agree that the California stuff should ensure pure olive oil. I believe I got a bottle at Trader Joes (I'll have to double check that) and it has peppery finish.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    You may find the Olive Oil Times site useful in determining which is a good oil.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Good thing I don't like olive oil anyway.

I use it for lamp fuel, not food. So I don't really care if it's not pure. It still smells good.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    What is this test for authentic olive oil, please?

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Author: You may not like what’s lurking in your olive oil | Berkeleyside

"The only imported oil that passed the test was Kirkland’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil – which is from Costco."

The suggestion on home testing is whether it solidifies in the fridge. I know the Bertoli from the jug I buy @ BJ's solidifies as dressing, I have no idea if this test has any validity. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread43669.html
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    "The only imported oil that passed the test was Kirkland’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil – which is from Costco."
    Good to know, since that's what I get. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that any Tuscan EVOO with the D.O.P. certification would be safe.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if our olive oil is authentic. we buy it from a food cooperative that gets it freight from a special dealer:
    Shoreline Olive Oil The only thing that concerns me is the price; it's cheaper than the stuff labeled EVOO at the grocery stores. It does become solid in the fridge, and the taste is fantastic: light but still olive'y. this oil is the only reason why i miss bread!
    Last edited by Saoirse; 02-16-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast