Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What brands of extra virgin olive oil are REAL? page 4

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    I wasn't sure about the test. I learned it from Sally Fallon. I definitely don't agree with everything she says. This question was on one of my tests for the Wise Traditions Certificate so they obviously really believe in it.
    Right. That's why I linked to your post. The testimony from the person who presses their own olives is a pretty solid one (unless they're lying -- oh, internets!). And as someone who buys her oil from the growers, and has witnessed that oil not solidifying in her fridge, I'm skeptical of the Fallon/WAPF "test".

Luce is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil comes in dark bottles, best of it in foiled bottles to completely avoid light exposure, I buy mine in enormous cans
    It's all about luck though for me, most of the year I use my own olive oil, it comes from Liguria Basilicata or Salerno and it's made the old way by friends I know well.
    You might buy online and get amazing products from Italy, Spain, Greece, just choose a place, or if you're from California go and buy local because that's the best thing people can do for their own health and the sake of economy.

PS I'd never buy/use Monini, Bertolli, or many other brands out there, unless they are selling overseas stuff which is not available here. Spinelli is good. No offense intended, sometimes it's all in the tastebuds.
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    I was in a branch of Sainsbury's which I don't normally shop in, yesterday. All the olive oil was on shelves above open freezer cabinets yet none of it was cloudy as far as I could see. Some of the olive oil was in dark bottles, some in clear and some in cans. I had been in Waitrose in the same town earlier and the olive oil there was well away from the freezers and fridges.

June68 is online now Senior Member
    UPDATE

Checked the oils again yesterday and they were ALL solid. I give up.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Elina Dilema is offline Junior Member

Post premium Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Extra virgin olive oil is gaining popularity with the passing of each day. There is no doubt that it is
    becoming a popular kitchen item, and why won’t it be? It has a host of benefits to offer to its consumers.
    It contains least amount of cholesterol, which is a big benefit. It is a must have for all the health conscious
    human beings.

Extra virgin olive oil : Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Premium quality extra virgin olive oil

Rosemary 231 is online now Senior Member
    Not to derail the topic but I have a question regarding light and extra light olive oil. I've recently learned to make homemade mayonnaise. I only bother to do this to avoid the "bad for you" oils in store bought mayonnaise. I use light olive oil, extra virgin is too strong tasting for me. Am I kidding myself thinking the light olive oil is ok or is the light "cut" to create that "not so strong taste"? If I can't improve the health aspect of the mayo I might just as well buy it off the shelves.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Not to derail the topic but I have a question regarding light and extra light olive oil. I've recently learned to make homemade mayonnaise. I only bother to do this to avoid the "bad for you" oils in store bought mayonnaise. I use light olive oil, extra virgin is too strong tasting for me. Am I kidding myself thinking the light olive oil is ok or is the light "cut" to create that "not so strong taste"? If I can't improve the health aspect of the mayo I might just as well buy it off the shelves.
    I think it's refined a bit to soften the flavor which might also remove some vitamins but the fatty acid ratios shouldn't change so it's still miles better than soybean and canola oil.

Have you tried unrefined avocado oil? Best mayo IMO, it's a very mild flavor. Macadamia works too but is definitely nutty.

Rosemary 231 is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I think it's refined a bit to soften the flavor which might also remove some vitamins but the fatty acid ratios shouldn't change so it's still miles better than soybean and canola oil.

Have you tried unrefined avocado oil? Best mayo IMO, it's a very mild flavor. Macadamia works too but is definitely nutty.
    I read quite a few posts saying that avocado oil is the best for homemade mayo. Problem is, from what I see on the grocery store shelves, it's pretty pricey. I love avocados and I suspect that it would be very mild. I'm single so I don't make a lot of mayo at a time and I think homemade mayo only keeps about 2 weeks, unless, of course you add some whey, I'm told. Thanks for your help. Maybe I can get it cheaper online.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234