Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What brands of extra virgin olive oil are REAL? page 3

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Oh crap. Well at least I don't have to let it thaw before splashing it on my salad.
    Oh wait, after a couple of days it did finally turn solid on me. Maybe it just takes a couple of days for it to solidify. My fridge is set to 39F.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing a test in my fridge with 4 of the oils we have in the house - 3 are labeled EVOO, 1 is not. 3 are from Bertoli, 1 is from a tiny producer in California. I haven't found much in the way of evidence online about whether this test is valid, so I'm doing this to see.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    If that test is accurate, then all of the oils I've bought here in the UK have been fine. On cold days, the oils in my kitchen go solid too! Sainsbury's EVOO does and it is a cheap-ish one, sold in big cans.

So - I have my doubts about this test! There must be SOME adulterated oils for sale here in the UK!!
    It seems there are:

Olive oil food fraud: pressing truths | Life and style | guardian.co.uk
    How to tell if your olive oil is the real thing | Life and style | The Guardian

but there's no particular brand that's more susceptible than any other. I'm just going to go on buying what I'm buying.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    It's virtually impossible to find California olive oil in the grocery stores where I live. It seems like all the OOs are imported.
    You can go to the dutch country farmers market in Middletown, on Broad street, and get golden barrel olive oil. It's pure and solidifies in the fridge.

Jodis is offline Member
    I have been buying Colavita (from Whole Foods, which probably has more turn-over of the product, hence fresher, than Joe Average Supermarket .... maybe). Produced in Italy. Dark green bottle, check; solidifies in fridge, check; tastes good, check. I chose that brand because of some article on taste testing, where it rated highly.

Seeing this thread, I did a bit of search on Colavita, and came up with this very fascinating (to me, anyway!) article : Leonardo Colavita and the UC Davis Olive Oil Report

It's a small (in number of employees) family business. Based on the article, the family seems very proud of their name and their product, and I tend to believe they make a quality product. YMMV. I also have no doubt that there are crooks everywhere in the world. You just have to do the best you can, and change what you're doing when the evidence changes.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodis View Post
    I have been buying Colavita (from Whole Foods, which probably has more turn-over of the product, hence fresher, than Joe Average Supermarket .... maybe). Produced in Italy. Dark green bottle, check; solidifies in fridge, check; tastes good, check. I chose that brand because of some article on taste testing, where it rated highly.

Seeing this thread, I did a bit of search on Colavita, and came up with this very fascinating (to me, anyway!) article : Leonardo Colavita and the UC Davis Olive Oil Report

It's a small (in number of employees) family business. Based on the article, the family seems very proud of their name and their product, and I tend to believe they make a quality product. YMMV. I also have no doubt that there are crooks everywhere in the world. You just have to do the best you can, and change what you're doing when the evidence changes.
    I had a small stock of the past seasons Colavita Fruttato select extra virgin... and I've run out. I should have put more back. There is no doubt for me that it was the good stuff... and I miss it already. The EVOO I replaced it with is good, but it just doesn't quite measure up.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I asked once again @ my local Trader Joe's & since I have been asking them several times since I read about this issue couple years ago, they actually called their corporate office & got back to me by phone the next day with this info: All their olive oils that say "Trader Giotto's" or "Trader Joe's" on the lablel, come from small family owned producers that they have had contracts with for many many years. They are all tested & are 100% pure. That includes Italian, Spanish & Greek oils. I've been shopping @ TJs since about 17 yrs since living in California & their oil tastes the same to me all these years, so I believe them. I particularly like their Sicilian oil & the unfiltered Calif oil, even though it's not organic it is cloudy & tasty. Also like the Spanish & Kalamata oils too. I've been making my own mayo a lot lately, as for a long time, store bought mayo makes me a sad boy, lol

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that test is bogus.

How to Discover If Your Olive Oil Is Real Or Fake
    http://www.aromadictionary.com/EVOO_blog/?p=550

Best way to know if your olive oil is legit is to use a reputable source. I buy mine from a local grower. Good luck.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    I'm in agreement. NONE of the oils I put in the fridge solidified. Some have a bit of 'crystallization' from suspended wax or other particulates, but all are still liquid. Even the one from the tiny, world-class producer in CA and the Bertoli regular oil, non EV.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that test is bogus.

How to Discover If Your Olive Oil Is Real Or Fake
    http://www.aromadictionary.com/EVOO_blog/?p=550

Best way to know if your olive oil is legit is to use a reputable source. I buy mine from a local grower. Good luck.
    I wasn't sure about the test. I learned it from Sally Fallon. I definitely don't agree with everything she says. This question was on one of my tests for the Wise Traditions Certificate so they obviously really believe in it.

Oh well. Taste is always the best indicator. One needs to test true olive oil and then fake olive oil. Once they learn the difference they will know themselves.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast