Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dairy? page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

Dairy?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Why is dairy not classed as Paleo? I can understand why cows milk and products isnt for obvious reasons, but surely goats would be acceptable?
    and what about other milks? i.e. sheep, buffalo etc?

I know this is obvious to some so Im expecting my usual "know it all" replies I often seem to get. But Im a newbie and cant find an answer to this in any of Marks articles, and Im very keen to learn as much as I can about eating Primal.
    Thank you.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing wrong with dairy. Does this sentence make sense to you, "eat the entire cow, but don't drink the milk". It doesn't to me. Unless you have an allergy, dairy is fine. Why the paleo exclusion? I'm sure there is some ridiculous reason behind it

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I guess if *Wild Cow Milking* is a rodeo event, paleo man could have found a way to do it too~ And that would, of course, include all bovine and/or other hoofed mammals. Not saying it was an every day food source, but in the spring~ why not?

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    It isn't really in keeping with an ancestral diet. We haven't been working with domesticated animals all that long, so it is a somewhat novel food, though I believe it does pre-date grain agriculture. As with many novel foods, it causes negative reactions in quite a few people, but there are some people that are well adapted to it. If you're one of those folks, then I say go for it. I think it's worth eliminating it for awhile and adding it back to make sure it's not a problem for you, though. I eat a little dairy and I'm fine with it. It's mostly high-fat stuff like butter and cream, but I also like some cheese now and then.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    It isn't really in keeping with an ancestral diet. We haven't been working with domesticated animals all that long,
    IDK~ I agree that we haven't had domesticated animals that long, but there are so many youtube videos of milking 'wild' mammals, I think it could easily have been a seasonal food, much the same as eggs~ unless you think they kept chickens

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    It isn't really in keeping with an ancestral diet. We haven't been working with domesticated animals all that long, so it is a somewhat novel food, though I believe it does pre-date grain agriculture.
    I remember hearing that during deer/gazelle/other herbivore birthing season, wolfs and other carnivores take down the mothers, eat the fatty and milk-filled udder, and abandon the rest of the carcass. So it's definitely something Grok would have come across, especially during spring!
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

egger is offline Member
    It isn't really in keeping with an ancestral diet. We haven't been working with domesticated animals all that long, so it is a somewhat novel food, though I believe it does pre-date grain agriculture.
    Not to be crude, but maybe humans (men) had a human source of milk. It would explain, um, some instincts.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Dairy is primal, it's not paleo.

It's actually one of the major exclusions of true paleo, for a couple of reasons:

When dairy has a negative effect, it can have a devastating effect.

It's easy to over-rely on.

It's easy to substitute for real foods.

If you aren't white, the chances of you being lactose intolerant are pretty high. Lactase permanence is the mutation, not the other way around.

But then many paleo purists(see paleohacks.com) don't eat broccoli, or in many cases, many vegetables. Hell, fruit isn't paleo, strictly speaking.

Don't get me wrong, I use fermented dairy products(I lost the desire for milk after going primal). But there are good reasons some people exclude it.

nseidman is offline Junior Member

why full fat?

Hi, I am really new....if dairy is ok...why is low fat milk worse that full fat milk...or low fat greek yogurt for that matter?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Go here:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

Do some reading through the posts and get a good idea of how PB works before you dive too much into the forums--things around here can be confusing if you're not familiar with the basic idea of primal living.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast