Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining Weight on PB page

22599 is offline Junior Member

Gaining Weight on PB

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am a month into PB. I am 5-10" tall 175 lbs and ideally want to be around 168. Very fit but working on the love handles. Anyway, I lost the 7 perfect lbs after one week on PB and felt and looked great. But now, three weeks later, I am back to 172 and am FRUSTRATED. Wondering what I am eating to get me to keep my weight this high. I eat a lot of nuts and I have heard to cut those back to lose weight but don't understand why? Is it simply a calorie thing? I really don't want to count calories but will if needed. I don't cheat at all on this diet but do eat a lot of salt (salted almonds and almond butter, pistachios, jerky, etc...). Should I reduce my sodium intake? I am eating high fat food but not consuming a ton of it and usually on eat a lot for 2 meals a day and will have a salad or a can of tuna fish in olive oil for most lunches or have a small beast. I eat a TON of protein as I make meats or fish almost nightly, eat plain turkey and bacon for beast, eat veggies and other greens. Can I be eating too much protein? HELP!!!

MrsC is offline Member
    I don't know what you consider "a lot" of nuts, but depending on how much you are eating you can easily be adding an additional 800+ calories a day to your diet. A 1/4 cup of pecans has 200 calories, so does about 20 macadamia nuts; the tiny 6.25 ounce jar of macadamia nuts in our house contains six servings, 1200 calories. Nuts are one of the easiest things to overeat. I also don't know how much almond butter you eat, but it's similar to peanut butter in calories, around 100 calories a tablespoon.

And yes, calories count. Too many calories, even if they come from "good" food sources, will make you gain weight. Try cutting out the nuts completely for a few weeks and see if your weight starts dropping again.

scjohnson243 is offline Junior Member
    I agree about the nuts, I ate a "Serving" of them today (~10 nuts) and it was 200+ calories - So that's where I would start if I were not making any progress.

MrRoberts is offline Member
    It is not the "calories" you need to worry about.

It is the carbs.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating a "ton" of protein, you could be adding muscle. That's not bad weight to add. That's why measuring just weight can be misleading. You could be losing a little fat, gaining more muscle and having your scale weight go up a little bit.

If that were the case, you'd be making positive progress, you just wouldn't know it.

Another thing is that if you are upping your protein and are coming from not getting enough protein, your body may be preferentially directing it's energy on REPAIR (since it's been lacking the protein needed and now that protein's available) and not as much on fat mobilization. That repair is going to long-term lead to better health, but it's not going to show up at the scale right away. Doesn't mean you should stop what you are doing.

The more I get into Primal the more I realize that weight should be much further down the priority list than most people have it. Do you feel better? Are you stronger? Do your clothes fit better? How about energy levels? Listen to your body and it's signals and stop relying on scale weight to determine effectiveness. It's usually the LAST place results appear.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Agree with tim_1522. Are you noticeably heavier? If not, that weight could simply be added muscle.

In any case, cut back on the salt, but more importantly, cut the nuts out. It's not the calories or the carbs in nuts that make them undesirable -- it's the antinutrients, lectins, and enzyme inhibitors that prevent you from properly digesting them and any other food you've eaten in the same time frame. These are the same things that make grains undesirable.

Sprout nuts and seeds beforehand or don't eat them at all. Not worth it.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoberts View Post

It is the carbs.
    Wrong.

Numerous clinical ward studies have shown that weight loss differences are negligible and statistically insignificant between a low carb diet and an isocaloric diet with a higher carb composition.

Are you just eyeing the scale and assuming that any change in the numbers is purely fat loss or gain? If so,that's not the way to do it,since you could easily be gaining back water,building muscle,and so on.Get an actual percentage nailed down on your body fat,and follow the changes in that number instead of the scale,because a scale just isn't a good tool to monitor actual fat loss or gain.

Also,cut back on the nuts,the majority of them are full of poly-unsaturated fats and anti-nutrients,which make them a pretty poor choice for a snack or something consumed in large amounts.They're also a pretty calorie dense food,and despite what some people say,if you consume a surplus of calories the extra amount not used by your body doesn't magically vanish,it gets stored in the form of body fat.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoberts View Post

It is the carbs.
    weighing in to also say 'wrong'. while i don't subscribe to the idea that your body treats all food calories in the same manner, going the full opposite way into taubes fairyland and acting like calories don't matter, only carbs do, is just wrong.

Monika is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    weighing in to also say 'wrong'. while i don't subscribe to the idea that your body treats all food calories in the same manner, going the full opposite way into taubes fairyland and acting like calories don't matter, only carbs do, is just wrong.
    +1

mmapags is offline Member
    I guess I'm going to reply to a question with a question. Have the love handles shrunk? The scale should be well down the list of things you are measuring if you are 5' 10" and 172 lbs. That should be pretty lean and is a good weight to height ratio. What is your activity level? Are you looking and feeling better. If the love handles have shrunk and you are looking and feeling better, I'd just forget the scale if I were you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast