Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convict Conditioning - Success Stories? page 3

JVib is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    I love both editions of CC,they're some of the best books on progressive calisthenics I've found out there.Once you get CC1 nailed down you can start adding in stuff from CC2 which deals more with grip,forearm,calf,and lateral chain strength than the first book.Another great book on calisthenics is Pavel's "The Naked Warrior",which has a lot of great tips on increasing your strength fairly quickly using just your own body.

When I started CC is I was pretty out of shape but in the two months I've started doing it I've dropped weight,built muscle,gained flexibility,and my back pain from an old mma injury is gone. It's worth mentioning that using the CC series and TNW has increased the power of my strikes significantly,to the point that I had to throw down the cash for a heavier bag since my old one was moving way too much from my strikes to provide a proper workout. I also believe that progressive calisthenics is one of the best way to build overall strength,fitness,and coordination because it teaches a higher level of awareness for your body and it's capabilities,and also teaches you how to use your muscles together in a natural way. Progressive calisthenics are also very safe when done properly and can actually help heal and protect the body. Doing BW squats strengthened my posterior chain and helped rid me of chronic lower back pain,which is a blessing for me considering I'm an active person who doesn't have time to favor a busted back.
    Thank you for the response @lex. I've looked at The Naked Warrior on amazon and I have it on my wish list. It is $21 for the kindle edition..do you feel it's worth the $?
    I have some shoulder and knee pain. I'm hoping this workout routine will rid me of them.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Westly is offline Senior Member
    Because of this thread I picked up CC on kindle, I tore through it in two days, and now I'm on my way!

I'm not impressive with it at all, and I'm taking Wade's advice, and going very slow with it, as I've not done ANY kind of exercising in the past few years. But, I can already do 20 wall pushups, and 5 leg raises. Keep in mind, I'm 250ish pounds, and not used to working out at all!
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

JVib is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westly View Post
    Because of this thread I picked up CC on kindle, I tore through it in two days, and now I'm on my way!

I'm not impressive with it at all, and I'm taking Wade's advice, and going very slow with it, as I've not done ANY kind of exercising in the past few years. But, I can already do 20 wall pushups, and 5 leg raises. Keep in mind, I'm 250ish pounds, and not used to working out at all!
    I felt the same way. The initial stages are very easy. But, I'm going to stick with it until I reach the higher levels.
    I can imagine that one handed pushups, chinup and one leg squats are going to be MUCH more difficult.
    It seems that they want you to work your way up very slowly so your tendon/ligament strength gains keep up with your muscle strength gains.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Westly is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, and I very much need to do that. I've got bad knees, so I'm sure the knee stuff will keep me working longer than the arm things. I expect to progress slowly, and I'm perfectly okay with that!! As long as I feel that I'm doing my best, and challenging myself, I'm satisfied.
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    CC2 is not about the big 6 but things like grip strength, flags etc. A good site to check out and one of the models for CC2 Al Kavadlo We're Working Out! . I believe he has been doing body-weight only work for the last 2 years.
    Thanks for the shout out! I should clarify, however. I've been training bodyweight pretty much exclusively for the last few years, but I've been doing strength training for nearly 20 years. Pull-ups and push-ups have been part of my regimen since I was a kid. Results take time!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

bluechip is offline Member
    Unfortunately, slow and steady wins this race. I tried pushing through the progressions too fast and well, it didn't end so well. This time around I have been taking it primally slow and things are going a lot better!
    Regards,
    ~ Chris

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluechip View Post
    Unfortunately, slow and steady wins this race. I tried pushing through the progressions too fast and well, it didn't end so well. This time around I have been taking it primally slow and things are going a lot better!
    I had the same problem. I tried to blast through the progressions last year and ended up so stuck that I couldn't get past my plateaus. I went back to the barbell ashamed and defeated. Now I'm back on and starting from the bottom (that's a different kind of frustration right there). Coach Wade is right when it comes to building training momentum. I've been on step 1 (I know, I started WAY at the bottom) for two weeks and just tested my pull-up max...and blew up my last PR by 5 reps, from 12 to 17. Stuff's no joke.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

How excited am I to find this thread!

I started CC in March. I just met progression for squats, pushups and HLR to step 6. But I am stuck like a #@!er on pullups at stage 2. Part of this is from excess weight (last year, when I was 30 pounds thinner, I could do 20 standard pullups on a beam). But it is super-frustrating not to get past those blasted horizontal pulls. 3x30 is a bastard!

I agree with those who noted that it's about a long-term program, though. And Coach Wade is very specific about the fact that pullups take longer than other moves.

And my arms are silly pumped after those horizontal pulls - even if I can't get to 30 at belly-button level yet.

I think this program fits great with the whole Primal thing (or at least - it looks like it would). And it works very well with a sensible kettle bell program, too.

So I would echo those who say to take your time and move through the progressions. Even if you feel like you can breeze through, take at least a month on each. Like Coach says, "put strength in the bank"!

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    I've just been reading the book and am now committing to a period away from bars and dumbbells. However, I realise it says to start with the very easiest exercises but pullups and pressups have been part of my training for a very long time and I'm loathe to go way back to the start. Surely if I can bang out 20 strict form pressups for 2 sets quite easily I'd be good to start there instead of going all the way down to wall pressups? Considering I can actually do the sets of uneven pressups I believe step 5 would be a fair enough position to launch from?

Same with the squats, though I do plan to go to stage 1 as my squat form has never been that great so see this as a perfect opportuniuty to nail the correct form.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

I just pulled the trigger on this book as well. 2 years of weights (Max OT then Starting Strength) has resulted in me going from the body of a ten-year-old boy to that of a twelve-year-old. I've accepted my scrawny lanky genetics and the fact that I'm not going to add any significant bulk without pounding back 5,000 calories a day. I'm just burnt-out and I've hit a wall...time to blow it all up and start a completely fresh routine. And hey, a one-armed handstand pushup would be a pretty neat party trick.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast