Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convict Conditioning - Success Stories? page 2

DSR84 is offline Member
    I started it with a pretty iffy strength base, and I'm pleased with it. I'm on step 5 of the pushup and leg raise progressions, step 2 of the pull ups, and sort of between steps 5 and 6 on squats. Haven't started bridges or hand stand pushups yet, per Wade's advice. I've also added in the grip training protocol from CC2, and the increase in the size of my fingers in the few week since I started with that has probably been the most startling change.

All in all, I really like it. I'm not exactly ripped city yet, but I have dropped a good amount of body fat since starting CC, but I doubt that that's the cause of CC alone (I incorporate Mark's move slowly and sprint once in a while, too). At the end of the day, I'm getting stronger and leaner as time goes on, and I have fun working these movements. It's a good program that should keep you occupied for a while.

I guess it's worth noting that I tried doing some full pullups the other day, despite not having done one in months. They felt pretty easy, so if you're worried about backsliding on some of the movements, don't be. I started at square one with pushups, and am finally just now doing full pushups again, except they feel stronger than any pushups that I've ever done. The foundational work that Wade puts you through really makes a difference, IMO.

JVib is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR84 View Post
    I started it with a pretty iffy strength base, and I'm pleased with it. I'm on step 5 of the pushup and leg raise progressions, step 2 of the pull ups, and sort of between steps 5 and 6 on squats. Haven't started bridges or hand stand pushups yet, per Wade's advice. I've also added in the grip training protocol from CC2, and the increase in the size of my fingers in the few week since I started with that has probably been the most startling change.

All in all, I really like it. I'm not exactly ripped city yet, but I have dropped a good amount of body fat since starting CC, but I doubt that that's the cause of CC alone (I incorporate Mark's move slowly and sprint once in a while, too). At the end of the day, I'm getting stronger and leaner as time goes on, and I have fun working these movements. It's a good program that should keep you occupied for a while.

I guess it's worth noting that I tried doing some full pullups the other day, despite not having done one in months. They felt pretty easy, so if you're worried about backsliding on some of the movements, don't be. I started at square one with pushups, and am finally just now doing full pushups again, except they feel stronger than any pushups that I've ever done. The foundational work that Wade puts you through really makes a difference, IMO.
    DSR84 - it sounds like you are doing very well. That gives me a lot of hope. I'm planning on sticking with this for a long time..however long it takes to get to the high level exercises.

I will have to check out CC2. Do you feel it's worth the $?

I was planning on keeping the moving slowly and sprints in my routine as well. I may also keep some deadlifts and clean and presses in there (just because I love doing them).

I am starting at the beginning of the progression and was shocked that doing 50 wall pushups isn't as easy as I thought (or I'm just more of a whimp than I thought).
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Jomp is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JVib View Post
    I purchased "Convict Conditioning" this past weekend. It looks great. However, I'm interested in hearing success stories from some real people. Has anyone been following this program? If so, would you share your success story?
    CC is a bit like Primal, there is a lot more to it than just getting strong if you really take what Paul says to heart. Been on it for three months and i have never ever been this consistent with any program before. It makes it simple to succeed.

Stronger, yes
    More muscular, yes
    Relaxed attitude towards training, yes
    Loosing weight, yes (Due to the very obvious constraint this is to progress)
    Injuries, no
    Having fun, hell yeah

If you are looking for a quick fix, don't bother. The program, as any serious strength program, is about time and consistency.
    Start from step 1 and dont stress it
    Read and understand the book
    Use your head
    Dont stop

Good luck!

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    CC2 is not about the big 6 but things like grip strength, flags etc. A good site to check out and one of the models for CC2 Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! . I believe he has been doing body-weight only work for the last 2 years.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

DSR84 is offline Member
    CC2 is really cool with lots of great info, but I'd say that you should get into a good groove with CC1 before taking the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomp View Post
    CC is a bit like Primal, there is a lot more to it than just getting strong if you really take what Paul says to heart. Been on it for three months and i have never ever been this consistent with any program before. It makes it simple to succeed.

Stronger, yes
    More muscular, yes
    Relaxed attitude towards training, yes
    Loosing weight, yes (Due to the very obvious constraint this is to progress)
    Injuries, no
    Having fun, hell yeah

If you are looking for a quick fix, don't bother. The program, as any serious strength program, is about time and consistency.
    Start from step 1 and dont stress it
    Read and understand the book
    Use your head
    Dont stop

Good luck!
    Thank you for the feedback Jomp. This is great info. I'm not looking for a quick fix, I'm looking for long term strength without injury. So far this is sounds like a great system.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Wow! That is fantastic. How long have you been following the routine? And are you at some of the higher levels?
    March or April 2011 I started PBF with CC for my lifting of heavy things. The combination of the sprinting, walking, and CC built up my knees and back to a healthy point. My Fitness test from October 2010 I scored about a 220 or so, out of 300 points. October 2011 I scored just over 270. My run time dropped by about two minutes, for a two-mile run from about 15:50+ to 13:59. My max pushups went from about 60 to over 70, situps about the same. I'm hoping to max out that test this year. I'm pretty close on my pushups and situps, but I have about 45 seconds to find somewhere in my two-mile run.

I am stepping back down a couple levels right now. I pushed through some levels faster than I should have, and ended up plateauing in some exercises.
    I'm at close pushups (Level 6), hanging knee raises (6), the first three levels of HSPU (I haven't met the standards for the crow stand or the Handstand, but I'm working both). I'm on Level 4 for bridges, up to the top of my head. I'm on close squats (Level 6), or half uneven squats (Level 6.75?), depending on how I feel. Pullups I just backed down to Aussie/horizontal pulls (Level 2) and assisted pullups (level 3), because I wasn't progressing from full pullups, and I've realized there's more to work there, specifically my forearms and grip.

Jomp is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for the feedback Jomp. This is great info. I'm not looking for a quick fix, I'm looking for long term strength without injury. So far this is sounds like a great system.
    Sounds like you have the right mindset for CC. I'm sure you will like it. Apart from CC and CC2 I also found Naked Warrior (Pavel) to be a great complement to CC. Not for the programming, but for the tension and breathing techniques. Great stuff. Amazing how much there is to learn and gain from working a few very basic movements. Less is more

About CC2: I think it's ok if you want to add in a few stuff from that book from the start (or maybe a few weeks in), as long as you are not reading and thinking instead of working out
    I've added grip training and of course the Trifecta to my workouts and I will be adding in calf and neck training, but probably on a more on a "when I feel like it" or Greasing the Groove basis .

I try to get three work out's a week, where I alternate the following
    Work-out 1: Push-ups, Leg raises, Grip (Hang)
    Work-out 2: Pull-up's, Squat, Grip (Finger tip)

My work-out's have the following format
    Warm-up:
    Jump rope, run, row etc
    Easier versions of the exercises in the work set's
    Trifecta
    Work-set's
    Pull-up's push-up's etc. as progressed
    Play
    Here I add stuff that I think is fun and want to try out. Like harder versions of the big four, hand balancing, learning kettlebell snatch etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomp View Post
    Sounds like you have the right mindset for CC. I'm sure you will like it. Apart from CC and CC2 I also found Naked Warrior (Pavel) to be a great complement to CC. Not for the programming, but for the tension and breathing techniques. Great stuff. Amazing how much there is to learn and gain from working a few very basic movements. Less is more

About CC2: I think it's ok if you want to add in a few stuff from that book from the start (or maybe a few weeks in), as long as you are not reading and thinking instead of working out
    I've added grip training and of course the Trifecta to my workouts and I will be adding in calf and neck training, but probably on a more on a "when I feel like it" or Greasing the Groove basis .

I try to get three work out's a week, where I alternate the following
    Work-out 1: Push-ups, Leg raises, Grip (Hang)
    Work-out 2: Pull-up's, Squat, Grip (Finger tip)

My work-out's have the following format
    Warm-up:
    Jump rope, run, row etc
    Easier versions of the exercises in the work set's
    Trifecta
    Work-set's
    Pull-up's push-up's etc. as progressed
    Play
    Here I add stuff that I think is fun and want to try out. Like harder versions of the big four, hand balancing, learning kettlebell snatch etc.
    Thank you so much for all the information.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love both editions of CC,they're some of the best books on progressive calisthenics I've found out there.Once you get CC1 nailed down you can start adding in stuff from CC2 which deals more with grip,forearm,calf,and lateral chain strength than the first book.Another great book on calisthenics is Pavel's "The Naked Warrior",which has a lot of great tips on increasing your strength fairly quickly using just your own body.

When I started CC is I was pretty out of shape but in the two months I've started doing it I've dropped weight,built muscle,gained flexibility,and my back pain from an old mma injury is gone. It's worth mentioning that using the CC series and TNW has increased the power of my strikes significantly,to the point that I had to throw down the cash for a heavier bag since my old one was moving way too much from my strikes to provide a proper workout. I also believe that progressive calisthenics is one of the best way to build overall strength,fitness,and coordination because it teaches a higher level of awareness for your body and it's capabilities,and also teaches you how to use your muscles together in a natural way. Progressive calisthenics are also very safe when done properly and can actually help heal and protect the body. Doing BW squats strengthened my posterior chain and helped rid me of chronic lower back pain,which is a blessing for me considering I'm an active person who doesn't have time to favor a busted back.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast