Thread: Primal manicotti page

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey guys, I tried this recipe the other day and thought I'd share it.

I know that cheese isn't the *most* primal thing, but I thought that this might be a way for those of us who used to love Italian food to still enjoy something like it without the pasta.

To make 2 servings, you will need:

4-6 cabbage leaves (depending on their size)

1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese

3 tbsp parmesean cheese, grated

3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated

1 clove garlic, minced

Dried basil and oregano (to taste)

Marinara/red sauce (I'm lazy so I just bought ready-made sauce)

1. Remove cabbage leaves from cabbage head, trying to keep them as intact as possible. This can be a little tricky and take a little patience. Don't worry if they tear in one or two places. Boil cabbage leaves in water for about 4-5 minutes. This should soften them up a bit.

2. Mix ricotta, 1/2c mozzarella, parmesean cheeses along with garlic and herbs.

3. Place cabbage leaves in baking dish. Scoop about 1/2c of cheese/herb mixture into center of leaf, and then fold the sides up and over the top, making a roll shape. Use a toothpick in the center to hold the cabbage leaves shut.

4. Bake at 350F for about 15 minutes.

5. Remove from oven, pour marinara sauce over rolls and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.

6. Bake for an additional 10 minutes to melt cheese on top.

I posted a picture of it on my blog at:

http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/20...manicotti.html

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

maba is offline Senior Member

I remembered that I hadn't picked up Ricotta cheese when I reached the cash register at the grocery store earlier today and since I didn't particulary have a dish in mind that used Ricotta I was going to make soon, I didn't bother to go and pick it up. I so regret my decision after seeing this post of yours! Thanks for the recipe Amy. Would you mind adding the blog link to your handle?

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

This is a great idea! Can hardly wait to try it.

Thought I'd offer a helpful tip for cabbage leaves, which would make this recipe even easier.

1) Boil a large pot of water.

2) While water is boiling, discard the outermost leaves from a head of cabbage and cut out the core. Keep head intact.

3) When water is fully boiling, add the cabbage head.

4) As the outer leaves are blanched (become softer but not fully cooked), use to tongs peel them from the head. Place the leaves in a bowl of cold water, ice cubes help.

5) As the leaves blanch, peel them off and put them in the ice water.

6) When only the smalles ball of cabbage remains in the water, let it cook, then remove, put on a plate, cut into pieces, cover with butter, salt/pepper, and vinegar, and enjoy!

7) When the leaves in the ice water are fully cooled, you can layer them in freezer bags, portioning with future meals in mind, and freeze for many months.

Just thaw them before you need them, and you'll find that the leaves are much easier to work with after freezing. They don't tear nearly as quickly, but are indistinguishable in the final dish from cabbage that was not frozen before using.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Yummy, I'm so making this next week!!!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon