Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects? page 9

Karate Lisa is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Full article: Choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid supplementation as an adjunct to Calcium/Vitamin D3 stimulates markers of bone formation in osteopenic females: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial

This is just a sampling of the research on silica available if one chooses to look. But as I pointed out there are those who are either too lazy to do the research or don't know how to read studies. So they prefer to respond with name calling and other personal attacks since they love to argue but have nothing to back up their claims with. So the best they can hope for is that their belief of constantly attacking those who prove them wrong will drive those people away.[/QUOTE]

How dare you, sir ! Using science to refute ignorance...psh !!
    LOL
    Actually, thank you. I appreciate your efforts to educate in a reasonable and logical manner.

(This is for those whose panties are in a twist)
    What I'm really kind of perplexed about is why people get all upset that someone has a differing viewpoint, so much so that they argue and name-call. Every adult gets to choose what they do/do not ingest; why get upset? I mean, doesn't it piss you right the fuck off when someone tells you, no - vehemently argues with you - that eating butter/red meat/coconut oil, etc is so bad for you and you're going to have xyz health problems??? Why get all pissy if someone, or many someones consume DE? You're not being forced to take it, lighten up.

To the OP
    Bright red blood after a bowel movement typically signifies a hemorrhoid. If DE were the "cause" of your bleeding, ie, the notion of shards slicing through your colon, it would more likely be a dark, tarry color and consistency. That's what happens to blood as it travels through your digestive tract, ask anyone who's had an ulcer.
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    That is not true. The hardness of DE is only 1 to 1.5. I addressed this myth here:

Alt/Trad Medical Review
    Some of the links provided to support the taking of DE make this statement.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Because I have actively making comments in this thread I have to wonder if this, and this, and this are also directed in general to those who just are not convinced and have a different opinion. I hope not.

First of all, I have done nothing but offer my opinion, which is the point of a forum - discussion, different opinions, etc.

Secondly, my position is not that no-one should take DE. If one feels comfortable doing it and discusses it with their doctor, go for it. It is not something I would do.

Third, when research was posted I actually read each of the twelve links posted, and commented on why those links actually make me more skeptical. The latest research that has been posted I don't dispute, since there is no question that silica is necessary for healthy function, in my opinion (and I'm allowed to have one) just the method of getting it.

My first comment was:
    My first thought is that if it's not a good idea to eat wheat chaff or other excessively fibrous food because it screws with the villi and mucous on the inside of our intestines, I don't understand why I would eat DE on purpose.
    It is perfectly okay to offer a comment on a discussion that is occurring in a public forum, without having to have first written a thesis paper about the topic. If someone has a question, should they do some research first before posting a question? Sure they should, I do it all the time. But what happened is like someone saying in a thread that burping five times a minute is really good for you, and someone asks why since it doesn't make sense to them, and then the person who said burping five times a minute is good for you says "go research it, it only takes 10 seconds." Because that is not the point. The onus is on the person making a claim to prove it. The person who says burping five times a minute is good should demonstrate why it is, but that is my opinion.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I'm really thinking of trying this stuff out, everything I've read sounds pretty legit. Don't know that I would take it all the time though, but I like the idea of adding it to my filter was and protein shakes
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    ....Burp!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

:-)
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Some of the links provided to support the taking of DE make this statement.
    Yes, I realize that. But it is still untrue. This is what happens when sales sites just copy each other's information without ever bothering to do their own research to find out if the claims being made they are deciding to quote are true in the first place.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post

Secondly, my position is not that no-one should take DE. If one feels comfortable doing it and discusses it with their doctor, go for it. It is not something I would do.
    Then you should avoid pharmaceutical drugs for one since it is so widely used in the manufacturing of pills and as a flow agent for capsuling.

I doubt if even your doctor will realize that fact or even the roles of silica in the body. I have always been amazed at how little the majority of doctors actually know about the human body, how it works or even medicine in general.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Then you should avoid pharmaceutical drugs for one since it is so widely used in the manufacturing of pills and as a flow agent for capsuling.

I doubt if even your doctor will realize that fact or even the roles of silica in the body. I have always been amazed at how little the majority of doctors actually know about the human body, how it works or even medicine in general.
    My doctor barely knows how estrogen and progesterone work in my body. I do avoid medication as much as possible. And no, until this recent thread I did not know that DE was used in pharmaceuticals. Now that is something I will research much further.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"

anxiousroche is offline Junior Member
    dont listen to this lady...she has no idea what she is talking about\

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast