Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects? page 7

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrakk View Post
    Sorry for quoting comments further back in the thread, but there's a few things I don't think were brought up.

While everyone is throwing wikipedia links at each other, let me join in.

Sand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The second paragraph here says:
    "The second most common form of sand is calcium carbonate, for example aragonite, which has mostly been created, over the past half billion years, by various forms of life, like coral and shellfish. It is, for example, the primary form of sand apparent in areas where reefs have dominated the ecosystem for millions of years, like the Caribbean."
    The thing is that the person who I was responding to specifically said silica sand. Not coral sand, not basaltic sand, not the green olivine sands of Hawaii.........

And again, silica does not mean sand. As I pointed out a quartz crystal is silica but is not sand. And if the other poster bothered to research DE more they would have found that in its natural form from which it is mined it is mined as a rock, not sand, then crushed down in to a fine powder.

But this other poster has a history of arguing and telling everyone else they are wrong just because she thinks so. Then she resorts to name calling and other personal attacks when she is proven wrong. I have already had a number of people warn me about her games when I first came to MDA.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post

DE will not cause a bloody anus.
    please see thread's top. ya know, this:

I was waiting to see all the marvellous benefits - but after a few days I started having blood with BM's.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 09-29-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    ... found that in its natural form from which it is mined it is mined as a rock, not sand, then crushed down in to a fine powder.
    Well, that convinced me.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Having done some reading around the web, it seems that a lot of people use food grade DE. Like almost anything else, it's probably great for some people, benign for others, not good for others, and perhaps even causes ill effects for others. If I worked around a lot of animals or came into unsanitary conditions a lot, I'd probably give it a try.

The OP asked about one side effect. This thread (like the one about coconut milk) is one reason it actually is easier to google information and read the best literature you can find than to ask questions on this forum and get so turned around that you're more confused than when you started.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrakk View Post
    While everyone is throwing wikipedia links at each other, let me join in.
    Sand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The second paragraph here says:
    "The second most common form of sand is calcium carbonate, for example aragonite, which has mostly been created, over the past half billion years, by various forms of life, like coral and shellfish. It is, for example, the primary form of sand apparent in areas where reefs have dominated the ecosystem for millions of years, like the Caribbean."

So it turns out that certain sands actually were part of a living organism to begin with. Diatoms are marine/freshwater organisms too, so I'd say that regular sand you find at the beach has a fairly high diatom fossil count. DE and sand aren't the same thing, no, but they have a pretty high crossover of components. I'd think sand (from the beach) is probably a better option for intake; it'd have a broader range of minerals present (I'll henceforth think of sand as being 'Organic DE+).

I understand your simple analogy, and I still disagree. And do you really have to break out into condescension because someone disagrees with you? Don't take this so seriously, keyboard warrior.

Regarding the analogy of someone walking over glass or sand - I see what your saying about the macro vs micro scale of things, but you have to remember that our internal organs (I'm mainly thinking of the villi of the intestine) have micro structures. A mild abrasive like sand clearly isn't going to do much to our feet (something designed to take that type of punishment), but it does have the capacity to do harm to our unprotected internal structures. No, I'm not saying it WILL do damage, I'm saying that everyone should keep an open mind and not just blindly take supplements.

I had a look over this link, and a few comments concern me a bit.
    - Claiming to 'scrub' the walls of mucous membranes certainly caught my attention. We have our mucous membranes to act as protective layers against microbial invasion.
    - They also can't seem to tell the difference between silica (molecule) and silicon (element), either that or I just can't figure out what they are trying to say. A few things in there just look plain wrong to me.

I do agree with the comments people have made about us not ingesting as much dirt/grit/sand as Grok would have. I don't believe a supplement like this is the answer though. If you are going to do it, go do it properly by dropping your steak a couple times in the dirt/sand before eating it (seriously, there is probably a huge spectrum of minerals we can intake from a bit of dirt here and there).

For all of you who are worried about micro-organisms and parasites living in your guts, I just wanted to say that I've been studying microbiology for a few years now, and trust me when I say there are more things living on/in you than you could possibly imagine. Some parasites, like tapeworms, should be treated, sure. You can't make your body a sterile site though, and this sort of stuff doesn't discriminate between the natural flora and the invading pathogen.
    Welcome to MDA posting. It's good to see that well educated rational though has not left the building. I don't know about you, but I really don't need or want to have my mucous membranes "scrubbed" thankyouverymuch. And I loved your comment about beach sand being the "organic" DE. Not only that, but a whole lot cheaper.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Health benefit claims of people who eat Diatomaceous Earth Revised December 31, 2009

This page consists of testimonials that people have sent us of their health improvements in taking fresh water, food grade Diatomaceous Earth. If what they're teling us is true, it's absolutely amazing what DE can do for your health. It's inspired us to try it ourselves.

We've been selling DE for over 8 years but have never really eaten it ourselves for its health benefits. We're starting today and will let you know how it works out for us! We're starting with 3 tablespoons per day, one before each meal. (If you've read the other pages on our website, you know we'll level with you....)

By the way, we have dealers who buy over a hundred bags of our 2 lb, five dollar DE, slap their own label on it and sell it for $20 or more. It's the EXACT SAME FRESH-WATER, FOOD GRADE, DIATOMACEOUS EARTH! I guess they're just better marketers than we are.... At any rate, here's what folks have told us:

Click HERE to subscribe to our newsletter. (Opens a new window.)
    We do not share your email address with anyone. Period.
    From Rhonda V. studio36****@aol.com, December 31, 2009

I wanted to report in on my experience with DE. I purchased 200 lbs from your company at the beginning of the year. I started using it right away for pest control and didn't start adding it to my food for a several months because I was skeptical. The more I researched it - the more I realized that, as weird as it sounds, there must be something to it. I thought I would first give it to my 3 German Shepherds and see what happened. Within a few weeks their coats completely changed. Their fur texture changed from coarse to soft and their black coloring shined. Also, the shedding was greatly reduced.

My 6 year old male was starting to slow down and after about 4 months of eating it - his energy and stamina are like it was when he was 3. I wanted to point out that these are dogs who were already eating quality nutrients. I feed mostly raw grass-fed beef (not always - but mostly) and put chia seeds, coconut or olive oil and live algae in their food - so they were already being fed better than most pets, or people for that matter.

So the fact that there was a noticeable difference in them was very impressive. This convinced me to add it to my regime. Before I added the DE, I had also have been eating the chia, algae and coconut oil for about 6 months - so I thought I was pretty nutritionally sound. I put a scoop in my chia water and about 2 weeks later I could tell a difference in my skin. It is so hydrated and moist that, if you scratch it with your fingernail and try to leave a scratch mark, you can't. I read on a testimonial that it takes away sunspots - so I started watching mine - I had a lot [of sunspots] because I have been a sun worshipper my whole life (42 years). It took a few months but they started going away. Now it has been about 6 months since I started eating DE and they are almost all gone. Everyone who has known me for some time is asking me if I have had work done because they say I look better than I ever have, and I get comments about my skin from people that I have just met. They want to know why it looks so good and ask me what kind of make up I use. The funny thing is, I actually stopped wearing make up and I look better than when I did. Go figure - at 42?

Also my foot pain (plantar faceitis) that I had on-and-off for about 3 years, and had become chronic, stopped after a few months. I was having to go to the podiatrist every other week for cortisone shots in my heels and had to take 800 mg of ibuprofen 2-3x/day.

I had 2 knee surgeries on my right knee - one, a reconstruction 15 years ago and was having chronic knee aching and weakness and now, that is gone as well.

This stuff is truly a miracle and definitely something that our bodies need and is missing from our diets even when supplementing. I hope this information is useful and I hope everyone that reads this at least gives it to their pets. Their diets are so bad, unless they are being supplemented, and they are eating a lot of raw food. DE will do so much to enhance and preserve the health of pets and it is so inexpensive, yet does so much.

They will live a much healthier, and I am sure, longer life.

From Larry A., Sterling KS,
    ldean**@*****mail.com, August 23, 2008

I see you're waiting to get some testimonials from people who are taking DE themselves. Well, fasten your seat belt and be ready to pick your chin up off the table!!

I had never heard of Diatomaceous Earth until I read an article on our local area paper, The Rocket, about its use for pest control and being totally nontoxic. It sparked my interest, so I got on the internet, and there I was for 5 days!! I could hardly believe what I was reading. I was skeptical at first, but decided to give it a try and ordered 50 lbs. of it. We started taking one heaping tablespoon a day June 23, 2008.

I had been in great pain from lower back (I blew out the bottom 4 vertabrete in 2002) for about 3 weeks prior, and right knee had been trying to lock up on me, also causing great pain. On the THIRD day, I realized when I raised up off the ground that I was completely pain free, both back and knee!! And have not had any pain from either since! About a week later, I realized that my skin, which has looked like a dried up river bed for the past 15 years or so, was soft and actually shiny!

I drug my finger nails up my arm, and lo and behold----NO CHALK LINES!! AND, I FEEL GREAT!

I decided that people needed to know about DE, so I set out to find 24 people who were willing to listen for a while about it, and if they decide they want to try it, I supply them for three months, and at the end of the 3 months they pay me for the DE with a written testimonial of their DE experience, good or bad. My first "DE Buddy" was my mail lady. As we visited about it, she told me her father had just been diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 or 3 weeks prior. In my research, I found that cancer cannot survive in a body sufficient in silica, and the the 1939 Nobel Prize winner proved, scientifically, that life on this earth could not/would not exist, if not for silica. So, she convinced her father to try it, taking 1 heaping tablespoon, twice a day (AM and PM). He'd been taking DE about 12 days when he had the next blood test done for cancer cell count, but there was no change. On the next blood test just this last week, his count went from 8 down to 4!! And he's only been taking it for about two months!! This is, of course, the kind of news that makes the tears roll! The joy in her face and heart was just plain overwhelming. And do you know what it costs me to supply him daily with 2 heaping tablespoons? About $.032!! What would the bill have been, both in the check book and the body, if he'd gone ahead with chemo? An un-Godly amount!! And, she has lost 7 pounds, and has not changed her diet!

I could go on for hours about DE and it's health benefits. I have read testimonials and university studies on it.... The good news is spreading, and let's all keep it going that way! People need to know about DE. We live in a toxic world these days, chemicals in the ground, in the air and in the food we consume. And our bodies are paying the ultimate price for it.

So, do yourself a huge favor, and get some DE ASAP! You will not regret it one little bit!
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-30-2012 at 03:36 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

1. Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade Human Side Effects-Health Use

www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php
      Food grade diatomaceous earth benefits health. One side effect of use can be lower blood pressure. Food grade diatomaceous earth human use & cautions of ...
    2. FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH HEALTH BENEFITS FOR

wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_human_use.html
      Food grade diatomaceous earth has excellent health benefits for humans. Taken daily, it helps eliminate all intestinal worms and parasites from the body and ...
    3. Diatomaceous earth has many benefits

www.naturalnews.com/030688_Diatomaceous_earth_health.ht...
      Dec 11, 2010 – However, food grade diatomaceous earth offers a host of health benefits too. The sharp points found on fossilized diatom exoskeletons create a ...
    4. Diatomaceous Earth - food grade powder - More Than Alive

www.morethanalive.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-Po...
      Bulk Herbs: Diatomaceous Earth - food grade powder ... Some say that, "Silica is the most important trace mineral for human health!" Silica plays an important role ... One of the benefits of Silica is that it helps to destroy bad fats. Everyone that ...
    5. Benefits Of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth | LIVESTRONG.COM

www.livestrong.com/.../283643-benefits-of-food-grade-diato...
      Aug 11, 2011 – Benefits Of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. ... A toxic colon can be the cause of many health issues in the human body. It can take years for ...
    6. Health benefit claims of people who eat Diatomaceous Earth

www.internet-grocer.net/dehealth.htm
      Go to the Freshwater, Food-grade Diatomaceous Earth page ... been selling DE for over 8 years but have never really eaten it ourselves for its health benefits.
    7. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Diatomaceous Earth-Food Grade ...

www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade.../B0039...
      Diatomaceous Earth-Food Grade-10 Pounds by: Nature's Wisdom ..... control and deworming, plus it has many other health benefits for humans and animals.
    8. Food-grade Diatomaceous Earth? To eat? (Or, at least, to put in tea ...

askville.amazon.com/Food-grade-Diatomaceous-Earth.../Answ...
      but recently had a patient sing the praises of food-grade diatomaceous earth, for either blood pressure or cholesterol .... Other health benefits reported are: ...
    9. What is Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth?

www.squidoo.com › ... › Diet & NutritionHealthy Eating
      The products that a medical professional recommends for your health significantly vary. ... Diatomaceous earth food grade can actually benefit the overall health.
    10. Diatomaceous Earth home page

www.earthworksde.com/
      Among the many benefits of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, the most exciting may be for Human Use and Health. Click on our "Human Use" button to see how ...
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-30-2012 at 03:40 AM.

Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade Human Side Effects-Health Use

Remarkable Diatomaceous Earth health benefits through Silica

As previously noted, like most wonderful natural products, this product requires an FDA Disclaimer: "This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Discussion of Diatomaceous Earth health benefits is based solely on personal experience and testimony shared by individual DE users and this company cannot market or label DE as a human health supplement with specific medical claims." Having said that, we look at what consumers say about DE and at evidence of DE's important cleansing properties and value as a rich source of Silica.

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) has been reported to absorb methyl mercury, E. coli, endotoxins, viruses (including poliovirus), organophosphate pesticide residues, and drug residues. DE is a natural organic colon cleanser and detoxifier. This cleansing and detoxification alone has a myriad of positive effects in the human body. Mechanisms are cited on "How DE Works" page. Adding to this is the widespread deficiency in human dietary sources of what is called "the most important trace element in human health" - Silica, and how rich DE is in this substance, we begin to understand the basis of the health benefits that so many have attested to. Only a trace amount of the DE silica is absorbed into the blood stream, and just that amount is a substantial gain for the user.

A growing number
    of people count beneficial human side effects of Diatomaceous Earth and SILICA as being nothing short of vital to their well being and exhibit genuine devotion toward its use. The only cautionary side effect that we have found relating to Food Grade DE has to do with direct inhalation and is essentially the same caution that is advised when handling baby powder. DE is a very fine powder.

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is 89% Silica.

It was established in the 1940s that life can't exist without Silica. More recently, in her book "Water & Salt" Dr. Barbara Hendel states: "Silica is the most important trace element in human health." Silica plays an important role in many bodily functions and has a direct relationship to mineral absorption.

The average human body holds approximately seven grams of silica, needing significantly more silica than even important minerals such as iron. Most people are, in fact, silica deficient. Among other things, enough silica in the body is vital enough for calcium absorbtion to allow calcium supplements to work. If Silica deficient, as is the case in the vast majority of us, calcium supplementation can even be a negative. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is an excellent natural and organic source of silica.

Lower High Blood Pressure

Of the thousands of people that are using Diatomaceous Earth, most that have high blood pressure have reported that it has gone down. It has been so thrilling to talk to people all over the United States and have them tell their stories. We are not just talking a few points - we are talking
    about LIFE-CHANGING numbers. Doctors are amazed--customers are amazed. You will be, too.

Lower High Cholesterol

According to consumers, just as Diatomaceous Earth health benefits include lowering blood pressure, it has also been lowering cholesterol! I have not talked with one person that has high cholesterol that has not had lower numbers after taking Diatomaceous Earth. Most are reporting 40-60 points lower after only 2 weeks on DE. I know it sounds too good to be true, but it works!

Just received this feedback from a user
    "I have been on DE for 6 months now and I just had my lab work done. My triglycerides have been reduced from 495 down to 203. I have so much more energy and my hair and nails are growing so much better. My husband has had high blood pressure and since being on the dirt, his BP is now in the normal range. It has also helped with my varicose veins and I no longer have any pain from them.."
    .. Rhonda from Louisiana

Osteoporosis, Joints & Calcium

Osteoporosis is a symptom of the aging process. As calcium in our body system depletes, our bones become brittle and weak. Taking only a calcium supplement cannot correct or stop this threatening and crippling disease because the body cannot assimilate and make use of the calcium without the presence of silica. Evidence suggests that, instead of affecting healing, supplemental mineral calcium, on the contrary, accelerates the leaching away of bone calcium and thus hastens the degenerative process of osteoporosis and similar diseases that affect the supportive and connective tissues in the human body. The Silica found in Diatomaceous Earth enhances calcium absorbtion.

For Osteoporosis

Silica can stop the pain and even restore the body's self repair process. Osteoporosis symptoms attack women primarily after menopause but the degenerative process starts much earlier in their younger days. More women are dying of fractures caused by osteoporosis than of cancer of the breast, cervix, and uterus combined.
    Silica is responsible for the depositing of minerals into the bones, especially calcium. It speeds up the healing of fractures and also reduces scarring at the site of a fracture. More and more research evidence shows that through a transmutation process, silica is turned into calcium when it is needed. That is why some scientists refer to silica as a precursor of calcium. Even when calcium is insufficient, the body can turn silica into calcium that the bones need.

Natural Weight Loss

We have been getting hundreds of reports from all over the United States that DE is helping people lose weight. Everyone is saying that DE taken in the morning helps curb their appetite throughout the day. Just one more reason to take it everyday!

Detox Your Body

Diatomaceous Earth health benefits reported to inlude detox! According to Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN and Galen D. Knight, PhD in their article "Mad as a Hatter" there is no better product to detox HEAVY METALS and RADIATION from your body than with Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth!

Nature's Internal Cosmetic

In Europe and Asia, Diatomaceous Earth health benefits are widely recognized to include use as a health and beauty product for hair, skin, nails, bones, and joints. They have no FDA

Tissue Degeneration

Accelerates due to aging when connective tissue develops an increasing inability to retain moisture when left unassisted. Silica can help slow the degenerative process of connective tissue. With silica, vitality and life, which are often lost as the years accumulate, can be naturally maintained or even restored to your skin. Collagen, largely made up of silica, is the glue that holds us together. If our body has enough silica glucosaminoglycane, the collagen will make us look younger. Silica helps with skin problems and injuries including itching, rashes, abscesses, boils, acne, callouses, warts, eczemas, burns, frostbite, benign skin sores, insect bites and bed sores.
    If you regularly follow a silica regimen, your skin will keep its youthful look. A good silica supplementation program works far better than other products for maintaining healthier and longer lasting collagen.

Teeth and Gums

By hardening the enamel, silica prevents cavities and preserves teeth. Silica also prevents bleeding gums, gum atrophy, and recession that causes the loosening of teeth, which could ultimately lead to tooth loss. Silica effectively fights ulceration and the decay of bones and teeth and also lessens inflammation

Omg!! all that info took all of 8 minutes to find, copy & paste from Google. Why can't/don't others do something similar, is beyond me...

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Omg!! all that info took all of 8 minutes to find, copy & paste from Google. Why can't/don't others do something similar, is beyond me...
    Just because it can be googled doesn't make it true, good, or whatever.

1. Health benefit claims of people who eat Diatomaceous Earth - other people's testimonials don't convince me. Same with PB, personal testimonials don't do it for me.

2. Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade Human Side Effects-Health Use
    "As these millions of cylinders move through the stomach and digestive tract, they attract and absorb fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticides, and drug residues, E.coli, and heavy metals." - How is this known?

3.FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH HEALTH BENEFITS FOR
    "As a daily supplement, many believe that its most beneficial use is for internal cleansing by aiding in the elimination of intestinal parasites, which are not able to develop an immunity to the sharp edges of DE." - this is the part that bothers me.

4.Diatomaceous earth has many benefits
    "The sharp points found on fossilized diatom exoskeletons create a safe and non-toxic strong abrasive that scrubs intestinal walls and cuts up any parasites present in the digestive tract."

5. Diatomaceous Earth - food grade powder - More Than Alive
    "Diatomaceous Earth is very hard. On the hardness scale where diamonds are a 9, DE is a 7. This is very important, because as those millions of tiny hard and sharp DE cylinders pass through the small and large intestines, they "scrub" the walls. After only a few months of taking DE, the intestine wall is no longer coated with mucus and molds but CLEAN!!"

6.Benefits Of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth | LIVESTRONG.COM
    "Its abrasive components are able to remove layers of toxins stuck to the colon walls."

7.Health benefit claims of people who eat Diatomaceous Earth
    Testimonials

8. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Diatomaceous Earth-Food Grade ...
    Testimonials

9. Food-grade Diatomaceous Earth? To eat? (Or, at least, to put in tea ...
    A forum q&a, and we know how trustworthy the information is on those!

10.What is Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth?
    Claims and they are selling it (like most of the other sites).

11. Diatomaceous Earth home page
    "Diatomaceous Earth is extremely hard. Where diamonds are a 9, Diatomaceous Earth is a 7. This is important because as the millions of tiny hard and sharp Diatomaceous Earth cylinders pass through the intestines, they “scrub” the walls. After a few short months of taking Diatomaceous Earth, the intestine wall is no longer coated with mucus, and molds but CLEAN!!." - sounds like they copy info from each others web sites.

12. Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade Human Side Effects-Health Use
    "Diatomaceous Earth (DE) has been reported to absorb methyl mercury, E. coli, endotoxins, viruses (including poliovirus), organophosphate pesticide residues, and drug residues." - Again how is this known?
    "Doctors are amazed..." - what doctors are amazed?
    " I know it sounds too good to be true..." - you know what they say about that!

None of these links convince me. The OP opened the discussion and others claim that it is great and that's fine. Anyone can take it if they want to, I probably will not because it is not logical or rational to me.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast