Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects? page 4

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    because sandpaper is harsher than sand
    Depends on the grit. Same reason DE does not harm the intestines.

By the way, silica is also a component of insoluble fibers. So we ingest silica all the time. Good thing since without ingesting silica we would not have bones, cartilage or many other tissues.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    I meant because sandpaper is glued down
    on a stiff surface. Swish a mouthful of water and free flowing grit and itll be just that, gritty. Do the same with sandpaper strips and it wont feel so great
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    DE is not really an issue digestively, it is pretty much inert, and goes through the system like insolouble fibre. You have to remember most of our evolution we ate dirt with nearly every meal.

As I understand it, the action is to trap toxins is in the massive surface area in these fossilized labarinths, I dont know whether there is any real science behind it, but supplementing additional nutrients while using it is recommended as they take all kinds of nutrients out with them.
    I wonder if you couldn't just use charcoal? It has the same type of action, because of surface area seems to cure flatulance, not sure how exactly.
    Last edited by Omni; 09-27-2012 at 05:06 AM.

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about ingesting DE, but it sure is fascinating to look at under a microscope. Very cool, and totally different from sand.

Peter_48 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    ... most of our evolution we ate dirt with nearly every meal ... the action is to trap toxins is in the massive surface area in these fossilized labarinths
    ... That makes good sense.
    Thank you, Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    ... Much valuable information on that web page.
    Anyone who wants to learn more about D-Earth, I'll second Lynna's suggestion to read that page.

... I've been taking D-Earth for about a month now: 1 teaspoon in a glass of water, 4-5 times a week.
    At first, it produced an effortless and painless detox, so for anyone just starting D-Earth, I recommend staying close to a toilet for the first 2-3 days.
    Then back to normal bowel function after a few days.

... Where I live (S.E.Asia), food is not clean, so I'm happy to have a natural product (D-Earth) that can help protect my insides from whatever bugs do get in.
    Until I get contrary information, I'll continue with the D-Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe
    You need to be taking a good probiotic (Primal Flora) with it, as it will replace the dying crap in your gut as the DE chews up the yeasts and bad bacteria.

... Good advice about probiotic.
    Thanks, Go, for posting that.

-- Peter
    Thailand
    Last edited by Peter_48; 09-27-2012 at 06:58 AM.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post

"Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae"
    ...but during the process of fossilization are the bones, shells, etc. of the animal (or even tree) not turned into rock? or silica?

My first thought is that if it's not a good idea to eat wheat chaff or other excessively fibrous food because it screws with the villi and mucous on the inside of our intestines, I don't understand why I would eat DE on purpose. It's one thing to be eating dirt by accident, and another to eat it on purpose. That's my thought.

EDIT: The article linked by the second poster also claims that DE is 85% silica (http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/di...human_use.html). So let's agree that DE is mostly silica. It doesn't really matter what it was before, because now it is mostly silica.

EDIT 2: and the most common type of sand (although it varies) is usually silica. So calling DE "sand" really is not that much of a stretch.
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 09-27-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    ...but during the process of fossilization are the bones, shells, etc. of the animal (or even tree) not turned into rock? or silica?
    The claim was not that it was rock, the claim is that it was sand, which is different. As I pointed out a quartz crystal is silica, but this does not make it sand.

My first thought is that if it's not a good idea to eat wheat chaff or other excessively fibrous food because it screws with the villi and mucous on the inside of our intestines, I don't understand why I would eat DE on purpose. It's one thing to be eating dirt by accident, and another to eat it on purpose. That's my thought.
    There are different forms of fiber. And with the silica containing soluble fibers not all of these fibers are considered "hard" fibers like wheat fiber. Fibers are essential to our health, but like anything they can be over done.

DE is not toxic though and the silica from DE is poorly absorbed. Personally I add it to my water and let it settle out first. Then I drink the water above the sediment and keep adding more water and letting it settle out. This way the water dissolves a little of the silica each time forming orthosilicic acid, which is the soluble form that our body uses of the silica. This gives my tissues the silica they need. I don't consume large amounts of DE powder because intestinal parasites are not much of an issue where I live. But DE does have a long history of being fed to farm animals for example to deworm them.

As for silica in general it is a component of plants and the connective tissues of animals we consume. So you have been ingesting it whether or not you knew it. And again, without it you would not exist. Silica is essential to the body.

EDIT: The article linked by the second poster also claims that DE is 85% silica (Diatomaceous Earth Human Use, Natural Health Benefits, and Information for Humans). So let's agree that DE is mostly silica. It doesn't really matter what it was before, because now it is mostly silica.
    Nobody ever claimed it was not. One of the main reasons people consume DE is for its high silica content, which again is essential to the body. But this does not make it sand. Just like cellulose is not fructose even though they are both sugar molecules.

EDIT 2: and the most common type of sand (although it varies) is usually silica. So calling DE "sand" really is not that much of a stretch.
    Yes it is. Is a silica gel sand just because it is rich in silica? Is an agatized chunk of petrified wood sand just because it is mostly silica?

Look at sand under the microscope then look at DE under the microscope. They clearly are not the same thing.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Then I drink the water above the sediment and keep adding more water and letting it settle out. This way the water dissolves a little of the silica each time forming orthosilicic acid, which is the soluble form that our body uses of the silica. This gives my tissues the silica they need.
    Wouldn't bone broth which also contains the remnants of sinew, cartilage etc. provide plenty of silica and a raft of other nutrients as well?
    I normally prepare mine over 3-4 days with resting between heating, this way all the cartilage disolves and thickens it nicely.

The main application of DE I thought was for detox & parasites etc.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    if it's purified to food grade, how would it be beneficial? if it requires supps and probiotics, isn't it cleaning out more than necessary?

isn't bone broth a less abrasive way to achieve the same result in nutrient/mineral absorption? with zero possibility of a bloody anus?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    I've been drinking DE off and on for over 6 months in my morning water (lemon, gray sea salt, water). My nails grow nicely. It's made up of ancient diatoms which are mainly silica. I also use it in the shower as a body scrub. I recommend it. EAT DIRT.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast