Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects? page 21

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    If you have actually felt diatomaceous earth, it is so fine and soft, like talcum powder. I can't see any way at all that it could abrade an insect, or do any harm after humans ingesting it. I believe it kills insects by dehydration.

I've started taking a teaspoon every day or so in water, mornings before eating, and this time round have no bad effects at all. Hair improving (what is left of it at 61!) and skin improving. That being so, i'd expect only improvements internally too, as skin seems to be a pretty good indicator of overall health.
    https://www.google.com/#psj=1&q=diat...icide&safe=off

From the life hacker link
    "Diatomaceous Earth is almost pure silica (with some beneficial trace minerals); under a microscope, it looks like shards of glass (glass is made from silica). On any beetle-type insect that has a carapace, like fleas and cockroaches, the DE works under the shell and punctures the body, which then dehydrates and the insect dies. DE is totally nontoxic. There is no buildup of tolerance like there is to poisons because the method of killing is PHYSICAL, not chemical."
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Minagelina is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    if you rub sand between your fingers, what happens?

if you rub sand on a mucus membrane what happens? same thing that rubbing lettuce will do, just be uncomfortable and slightly pokey

if you eat sand, what happens? i don't see it doing much of anything, if your stomach and intestines can handle daily bile habitation
    Here is a pesticide fact sheet. It is not sand, or rather since there are different types of silica, this is not the same form of silica. Diatomaceous Earth General Fact Sheet

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Haven't been on much, forgot about this thread. Just reminded me to take my DE. I've stopped taking it for awhile and noticed my hair and nails don't grow as well (and Grizz's ghost poo remark is true for me as well). Cheers.
    Last edited by Ferti; 01-08-2014 at 03:46 AM.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minagelina View Post
    Here is a pesticide fact sheet. It is not sand, or rather since there are different types of silica, this is not the same form of silica. Diatomaceous Earth General Fact Sheet
    It's worse than sand.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    I didn't read the whole thread so excuse me if this is repeat info. We've used organic food grade DE for our pets, both externally & internally. There's some great info in DE on wolfcreekranch website.
    While reading WCR I read how they (the humans) use it as well.
    We have used DE for tummy issues (possible tummy bugs, food poisoning) w good results. We bought a different brand a while back, and I don't care for using it and can't recall the brand I used to get.
    Anyway, if you're going to use it for people or pets, get food grade.
    K

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    https://www.google.com/#psj=1&q=diat...icide&safe=off

From the life hacker link
    "Diatomaceous Earth is almost pure silica (with some beneficial trace minerals); under a microscope, it looks like shards of glass (glass is made from silica). On any beetle-type insect that has a carapace, like fleas and cockroaches, the DE works under the shell and punctures the body, which then dehydrates and the insect dies. DE is totally nontoxic. There is no buildup of tolerance like there is to poisons because the method of killing is PHYSICAL, not chemical."
    Taken from your link

"Keep in mind that you need to keep DE dry before using as water will make it ineffective."

So - if moisture stops the DE from damaging insects, puncturing them etc, then mixed with water it isn't going to do any harm to a human gut either. It has worked wonders for my skin and nails. Wish it would reverse my hair loss!

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    So - if moisture stops the DE from damaging insects, puncturing them etc, then mixed with water it isn't going to do any harm to a human gut either. It has worked wonders for my skin and nails. Wish it would reverse my hair loss!
    I don't think it's so much that moisture stops DE from damaging insects as it stops DE from STICKING to insects.

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    I've used it on the cats (internally & externally) and it causes the fleas to dehydrate (& die). The fleas are actually flat like paper (and dead).
    I tell everyone w pets and so far they have also had good results
    K

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minagelina View Post
    i was calling it sand because whoever i was replying to was calling it sand
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

I wish people wouldn't call it sand. Sand is a specific particle size and composed of various things. DE is fossilized diatoms.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast