Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects? page 20

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Welcome Tracey!

Right section, Primal Blueprint Nutrition, but wrong thread, imo, as this is not read by many folks on here, it's a narrow subject, not really technically primal, DE...

Try any or several of these:

Just getting started... | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum ...
    I have been playing around with primal foods for about two years but have not really committed. I keep trying to get started but then am derailed ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread85638.html

Getting started... | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page
    Hi everyone! I've been dabbling in research about Paleo for about a month or two now, browsing forums, and getting informed about things.
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78009.html

Getting started going primal | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness ...
    I want to go primal but i don't know where to turn...i've been reading blogs and I have been on the forums here but i'm not sure where to start..
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19230.html

Rookie from NH Getting Started on PB! | Mark's Daily Apple Health ...
    Hi All, I found out about Mark's site and his work through another forum I belong to when a thread started about 'getting healthy for the new ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread74514.html
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
    I just read MDA online yest and ordered the book at midnite before going to bed It will take a week to get here and I need some advice in the meantime. I really want to get this right. Not sure Im in the right section of posting even?
    I had three fried eggs and tea w honey for breakfast, a smoothie for lunch made w pineapple, mango and kale and spinach and ginger and dinner will be salad. BUT my caloire counter says im at 190 for carbs(too high) and too much fat? (one oz of nuts in the salad I think) pls advise. And if you have a few meal ideas for the next week till the book gets it I would love it.
    I really want to get this right. Thank you
    Well, just off the bat, without actually knowing how much honey, pineapple or mango &/or what went into your salad/how much salad, I'd say yeah 190 carbs may be accurate. Are you open to eating fish, seafood, meat, poultry, organs? There's that, unless you want to be vegetarian primal ie no meat/seafood(it can be done, one of Mark's kids is/was, his daughter I think).

I don't recommend it, unless you are going to do lots of blending/juicing/detoxing 1st which is not technically PB, but to each his own.

Wait til you get your PB book, read it, highlight it, but don't stress out at all between now & when you get your book. All will be well...

Search for "recipes" on the search tool bar, top right of every screen on MDA you're on... There's also free PDF downloads, for recipes, on here as well....
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

omkar is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie View Post
    I finally found some time to do some internet searching last night.
    I just joined to say thank you for sharing the results of your findings. I just started researching DE for many of the same reasons and came across this thread. I am going to use it for pest control. I may try it myself too - still reading up on it.

singer is offline Junior Member

Wink Sounds like you're reaching...

Dear Paleo;

There are actually two types of DE. DE that is used for pesticides and such and FOOD GRADE DE. Food Grade DE is just that, FOOD GRADE. There are no "Shards" to "Tear up your guts."

I have read this entire thread, as well as others and I've found one repeated constant that rings true. Paleo REFUSES to allow herself to learn. I honestly don't mean to bring politics into this matter but I truly would like to know; Paleo, are you a right-wing Republican? Because these are the types of people that I've found whom strongly detest FACTS. The interjection of "facts" into a debate seems to confuse and complicate their ability to promote their false, misguided or uneducated message. Even when they realize that they have just received a "Scientific / Factual and intellectual beat down" these folks stick to their guns and tend to repetitiously regurgitate some tag line or buzz word. (IE: SAND!! it's SAND!!)

I wonder if you've ever muttered the words, "Hmm, I guess I was wrong." or "Wow, I didn't know that..." or heaven forbid, the elusive, ego-diminishing, "YOU WERE RIGHT!" during a topical debate.

moshok is offline Junior Member
    DE being used to treat children infected with E. coli:

"E. coli are our friends: living in our intestines, they help digest our food and supply us with vitamin K. But there is an ugly strain of E. coli,that kills more than 200 people each year in the United States. These bacteria normally reside in the intestines of cattle; they reach humans through contaminated beef - as in the case of the outbreak that killed four people in Seattle in January 1993. (The source of infection was traced to a single fast-food chain.) The bacteria seeps through the damaged lining into the bloodstream. Kidney failute occurs within four to five days. Antibiotics are ineffective: they work by rupturing the bacteria, which only accelerate the spread of the toxin.

The University of Alberta has devised a way to stop the toxin in its tracks. They have created a decoy that holds off the toxin until the body can build up anti bodies to the bacteria, which takes about a week. Armstrong's decoys are made of sugar molecules. Each decoy is joined to a bit of diatomaceous earth porous sand that consists of the tiny skeletons of diatoms, which are a type of plankton. When the patient drinks the gritty fluid containing the decoys, the toxin molecules bind to the decoys and are then excreted along with the indigestible (diatomaceous) sand particles.

The decoy has already been tested on healthy volunteers with no ill effects. In clinical trials now under way in Canada, it is being used to treat children infected with toxic E. coli. (Children are particularly vulnerable to the toxin, apparently because their kidney cells carry more receptors for it than do the kidney cells of adults.)

moshok is offline Junior Member
    Study showing DE lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol:

Institute of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Innsbruck, Austria.

In this study a potential influence of diatomaceous earth to lower blood cholesterol was investigated. During 12 weeks we monitored serum lipid concentrations in 19 healthy individuals with a history of moderate hypercholesterolemia (9 females, 10 males, age 35-67 years). Individuals administered orally 250 mg diatomaceous earth three-times daily during an 8 weeks observation period. Serum concentrations of cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides levels were measured before study entry, every second week during the period of diatomaceous earth intake and 4 weeks after stop of intake.

Compared to baseline (285.8 +/- 37.5 mg/dl = 7.40 +/- 0.97 mM) diatomaceous earth was associated with a significant reduction of serum cholesterol at any time point, reaching a minimum on week 6 (248.1 mg/dl = 6.43 mM, -13.2% from baseline; p<0.001). Also low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (week 4: p<0.05) and triglycerides levels decreased (week 2: p<0.05, week 4: p<0.01). Four weeks after intake of diatomaceous earth was stopped, serum cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides still remained low and also the increase of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol became significant (p<0.05). Diatomaceous earth, a byproduct, is capable of reducing blood cholesterol and positively influencing lipid metabolism in humans. Placebo-controlled studies will be necessary to confirm our findings.

Alibamford is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marigoldmaker View Post
    I stared feeding it to my dogs (food grade), and read about all the healthful benefits to humans, so I decided to try it myself.
    I started by adding 1 TBL to my morning protein shake.

After 1 week, I've decided to stop using it. The slight nausea I experienced at first went away. But, I've been experiencing severe bloating. I'm a VERY careful, clean eater since I have a severe gluten intolerance. The bloating I'm experiencing is what happens when I get "glutened".

I'm not positive the diatomaceous earth is the culprit, but it's the only thing I've really changed. I may try again in a month, starting with 1 tsp. If so, I'll repost.
    This is interesting.

In amongst all the research I have been doing on DE, I have read that it is added to flour to deter bugs (they don't like what it does to them, so steer clear). That means that anyone who eats or has eaten any flour products has been very likely ingesting it for years in minute quantities!

I also am very gluten intolerant, possibly even (undiagnosed) Celiac, as I cannot tolerate even a crumb of gluten grain.

I have come to realise that I have parasites in my gut, possibly at least tapeworms. The movements I feel in my colon are not 'normal'. Biting and writhing - and in the opposite direction to normal peristalsis.

The fact that you developed the same symptoms as being 'glutened' when you took the DE makes me wonder if it's not the gluten that triggers these issues (despite what the scientists tell us), but parasites in our bodies that we may be blissfully unaware of, reacting to the DE in the flour. Maybe there is enough in the flour to make them mad as hell, but not enough to kill them!

I have just ordered some DE. When it comes it will be interesting to see if I get a similar response (mine is gut disturbance/IBS, raging restless legs and burning feet). I think if I do, that I would probably have to persevere and work through that until I've slaughtered the beggars.....

Rachelle6 is offline Junior Member
    I've read through most of this post and from what I see....your right....it is by no means SAND......what most do not seems to understand is that sand is not defined as a mineral substance.

a loose granular substance, typically pale yellowish brown, resulting from the erosion of siliceous and other rocks and forming a major constituent of beaches, riverbeds, the seabed, and deserts.

you see here it is not defined as silica. its defined as a loose granular substance...right?

here you see that sand can be made of numerous things and look completely different from region to region.
    What is sand made of - Sandatlas

I think the term sand is a bit to generalizing of a term.....

from what I understand is.....the diatoms break down when they die.....just kinda like flesh...like dust to dust type of thing...

every creature eventually turns back into some kinda of dirt...or earth....assuming called earth because the "earth substance" is a combination of so many minerals, substances and remains of creatures that have died.....earth seems to be a generalized term...

given all this.....

the diatoms are composed mostly silica....this is why when they parish and become apart of the "earth" again the "rock" that is formed probably by the pressure of the water is mostly silica and various trace elements.

It doesn't seem proper to call this mined rock that is broken back down into a fine powder "sand"

the definition simply does not fit....but it does seem others get a KICK out of calling it that

but simply the fact remains that whether you agree or not it still does not make it sand.....the definition does not fit...

if you choose to take it then take it.....if not then don't...it is not up to anyone to convince anyone to take it.just as with any other supplement.....believe what you want ...do what you want....don't get lost in semantics.....people have ingested weirder things such as borax.....

second it seems like people are getting hung up on whether a substance can serve two purposes....such a borax....which can be labeled as detergent...but people take for it boron content....note.....this is a naturally mined rock as well......look deeper please...

same with diatomaceous earth....it has a wide variety of uses....I don't suspect it cuts your insides..lol....its too fine for that....it can be drying though so if you don't drink enough water I imagine it can cause constipation which can lead to hemorrhoids....take some magnesium increase water uptake....

it seems like you can be stuck in a box to consider a substance to only have one use

that's like saying milk is only good for cereal....

yes it can be bad if inhaled....but the food grade is typically less than .5% crystalline silica.....so its not as harmful

I'm sure it harmful to the lungs to breathe in any powder...ie whey....

just don't breathe it in.....when you mix it in water or liquid I don't see how you could unless your really clutsy...

it just seems like these people are so against they are coming of with ridiculous reasons why its bad....

if you don't want to take it don't take it...but that doesn't mean you need to find a reason for us not to take it just to justify you not taking it...

live and let live.....respect my opinion ...I'll respect yours......but don't try to change facts or call it something its not....just say I don't want to take it...that's it....we will respect that.....

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    You couldn't pay me to ingest it in worthwhile quantity. Diatomaceous earth is used to kill insects, it creates tiny abrasions on their bodies when they walk over or carry it thinking it's food, they then die from dehydration. Ingesting spoons of it daily can't possibly be good.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    You couldn't pay me to ingest it in worthwhile quantity. Diatomaceous earth is used to kill insects, it creates tiny abrasions on their bodies when they walk over or carry it thinking it's food, they then die from dehydration. Ingesting spoons of it daily can't possibly be good.
    If you have actually felt diatomaceous earth, it is so fine and soft, like talcum powder. I can't see any way at all that it could abrade an insect, or do any harm after humans ingesting it. I believe it kills insects by dehydration.

I've started taking a teaspoon every day or so in water, mornings before eating, and this time round have no bad effects at all. Hair improving (what is left of it at 61!) and skin improving. That being so, i'd expect only improvements internally too, as skin seems to be a pretty good indicator of overall health.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast