Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects? page 18

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, I think all the bickering about grain sizes (what is "officially" sand and what is silt) and all the bickering about the origins of the DE people get talked into ingesting are all pretty moot, although the diatom is an interesting creature.

When it comes down to it though, silica is silica regardless of origin.

My real point is this. Don't eat sharp pointy pokey things. They tear up your guts.

Derp's point about DE shredding bugs is a good one.

I'm still waiting for any non vendor provided scientific evidence that this actually does any good.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Derp's point about DE shredding bugs is a good one.

I'm still waiting for any non vendor provided scientific evidence that this actually does any good.
    it's been said repeatedly that it kills bugs. it scratches them and sucks out their bodily fluids until they are satisfyingly dead

here's my scientific evidence: i sprinkled it on plant leaves with my fingers and the japanese beetles died within minutes

my other scientific evidence: i ate some to see what would happen, i survived. my anus was not abraded upon evacuation. win-win
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I looked, you won't find any. You won't even find any evidence pointing to safe toxicology in silica and all its forms.

I did find one odd case where a fellow ingested silica and it was found in his lungs though, but can't remember for the life of me where that is.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    that stuff is powdery as heck, if you get complacent you'll make it puff everywhere

everywhere meaning your nose
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    yeah, some people take it for the silica. some people take it for worms.

i took it once, a heaping spoonful mixed in yogurt

i died. true story.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    it's been said repeatedly that it kills bugs. it scratches them and sucks out their bodily fluids until they are satisfyingly dead

here's my scientific evidence: i sprinkled it on plant leaves with my fingers and the japanese beetles died within minutes

my other scientific evidence: i ate some to see what would happen, i survived. my anus was not abraded upon evacuation. win-win
    Zombie post!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I used it for flea control a few years ago. It worked but it's awful stuff. My vacuum cleaner never recovered and I sneezed for a month.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Paleobird Guest
    Also the fact that someone survived ingesting it with no obvious bloody discharge=/=this stuff is good for you, eat up. It's just means they are some combination of strong and lucky. Also who knows what repeated exposure would do?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I used it for flea control a few years ago. It worked but it's awful stuff. My vacuum cleaner never recovered and I sneezed for a month.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Silica in the lungs on a repeated basis will cause silicosis, a nasty and often fatal condition.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Why not just eat a carrot if you're after really indigestible methods to clean out bacteria? At least carrots aren't abrasives with a 7 mohs hardness rating. The worst thing is they use this stuff in toothpastes, when teeth can only handle ~5 iirc.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Carrots taste better too.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast