Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 226

Thread: Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects? page 17

  1. #161
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    I never claimed crystalline silica to be the same as amorphous silica. I said that silica is found in all those various places, quartz crystals, rocks, sand.

    You were going on about diamonds vs. charcoal. (The irrelevant tangent of the year) That's why I pointed out that fossilized diatoms are not crystalline.

    Quit putting words in my mouth.

    Too bad you couldn't see the youtube. Dr. Dino is a cartoon character who breaks down the basics of the process of fossilization.

    Obviously there are lots of varieties of rock. Who said otherwise?

    Silica diatom "shells" or "skeletons" become diatomaceous rock.
    Which when ground up is sand. Thank you for making my point for me. People should not be deluded into thinking they are ingesting some kind of marine life. It is rock then ground up into whatever size grain of sand you might like for scrubbing your mucus membranes out.

    My mucous membranes are just fine. No scrubbing needed.

    It's funny that this community would reject the CW dogma that you need lots of insoluble fiber like bran to scrub out your insides but yet embrace doing it with ground up rocks instead.

  2. #162
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
    Here's some pictures of sand, (like, from beaches), under a microscope.

    Sand Grains Gallery

    Yes. Diatoms are sand. (They're very pretty too.)

    Let's see some science
    .
    Ooooh cool pics. I have yet to see one shred of science about this from anyone other than people trying to sell the stuff. That smells snake oily to me.

  3. #163
    Kellie's Avatar
    Kellie is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    But fossilized diatoms are not crystalline. They are just rock.

    fossilization - YouTube

    As Dr. Dino explains in this youtube, organic remains are replaced by inorganic rock to form fossils. So when you see a fossilized dinosaur bone in the natural history museum, it is not really bone, it is rock in the shape of the original bone.

    Fossilized diatoms are just your basic rock in the shape of diatoms. Then they get ground up and become sand.
    Nothing against "Dr. Dino" (), just thought I'd post a real definition of the word fossil for those who are now wondering:

    Fossil. "An organic trace buried by natural processes, and subsequently permanently preserved. The term 'organic trace' is here used to include skeletal material, impressions of organisms, excremental material, tracks, trails, and borings."

    The definition given by Paleo and "Dr. Dino" above is actually the definition of a type of fossil called petrified fossil or replaced fossil. This happens when softer material gets replaced by minerals that eventually harden into rock. Not all fossils are a petrification or a replacement.

    So, to make things clear, yes, diatom fossils are real fossils and are composed of their original amorphous (no crystal structure) silica skeletal material. This type of fossil has never been replaced with another mineral or rock. Also, diatom fossils are tiny, sand-sized in fact, so it makes no sense that they would have to get ground up to "make sand". lol.

    I think what Paleo was originally trying to say is that she doesn't like the idea of people eating rock, in any form. She doesn't think its natural, and doesn't understand why others eat it. I hear you. Message received. Point taken. Etc. However, the more you try to justify yourself the less I seem to be able to take what you say seriously. The decision to use DE is up to each of us as an individual and this thread is called "Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects?" That's what I really want to know.

    Kellie.

  4. #164
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie View Post
    Fossil. "An organic trace buried by natural processes, and subsequently permanently preserved. The term 'organic trace' is here used to include skeletal material, impressions of organisms, excremental material, tracks, trails, and borings."

    The definition given by Paleo and "Dr. Dino" above is actually the definition of a type of fossil called petrified fossil or replaced fossil. This happens when softer material gets replaced by minerals that eventually harden into rock. Not all fossils are a petrification or a replacement.

    So, to make things clear, yes, diatom fossils are real fossils and are composed of their original amorphous (no crystal structure) silica skeletal material. This type of fossil has never been replaced with another mineral or rock.
    So then, how did a marine creature get to be silica if it is still in it's original form? "Real" fossils as opposed to fake fossils?

    I think what Paleo was originally trying to say is that she doesn't like the idea of people eating rock, in any form. She doesn't think its natural, and doesn't understand why others eat it. I hear you. Message received. Point taken.

    The decision to use DE is up to each of us as an individual and this thread is called "Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects?" That's what I really want to know.
    If that's what you want to know, look no further than the OP:

    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I was waiting to see all the marvellous benefits - but after a few days I started having blood with BM's. And an ache in my gut. So - I stopped taking it and after a few days all is back to normal.

    I am slightly apprehensive of trying again, in case it was actually damaging my gut, - but would like to see my hair growing thicker again!!!
    But if you are willing to tear your insides up because a website promised you thicker hair, not much else I can do to reason with you.

  5. #165
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    DM is an extreme intestine irritant. Also, it's a bug killer, didn't know people actually took this stuff.
    nihil

  6. #166
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,354
    yeah, some people take it for the silica. some people take it for worms.

    i took it once, a heaping spoonful mixed in yogurt

    i died. true story.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

  7. #167
    OnTheBayou's Avatar
    OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    153
    Get far in your science classes, Paleobird??? I thought not.

    OK, try this: You have a swimming pool. It might have a cartridge, a sand, or a DE filter. Leaving the cartridge type aside, would you go into the pool store and buy a bag of DE for your sand filter? Or, the other way around? Of course not. THEY ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS!

    You just refuse to listen to those who know better. It's not just that you are working from a point of wrong information, you refuse to learn.

    No wonder our country is in such a state of idiocracy. Scientifically illiterate high school and college grads.

  8. #168
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    OK, personal insults aside (because they are too silly to dignify)

    Yeah, I know that DE has lots of valid uses such as pool filters, and bug killing. I have yet to see any scientific backing for ingesting it being good for a person. Note: Scientific would mean "not offered up by someone trying to sell the stuff".

    You can't get around the fact that DE is silica and silica is what makes sand. DE is sand, just very finely ground, packaged and expensively priced sand.

    Try refuting the things I've said with evidence instead of insults.

  9. #169
    Kellie's Avatar
    Kellie is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    So then, how did a marine creature get to be silica if it is still in it's original form? "Real" fossils as opposed to fake fossils?
    Ahh! A good question! Actually the fossils are not of the soft parts of the organism, but the fossils are the skeletal (or shell if you would rather) remains. This organism secretes a skeletons of silica. This is one of the things that make diatoms very interesting.

    Rather than saying people who eat DE are eating sand (which is wrong because sand is a grain size, and DE is smaller than sand), you could tell everyone how awful it is for them to eat silica skeletons! Opinion noted! Then we can all get over it and move on.

    Bloodorchid, !

    Kellie

  10. #170
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Too much inorganic material in our body is likely not the best thing in the world for it. DE is designed to shred apart bugs, but, just because our intestinal tract is stronger, doesn't mean it's not causing damage. You can't live in a sterile environment, and it's not practical anyway.
    nihil

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •