Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects? page 12

alyx727 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive in products including toothpaste, mechanical insecticide, absorbent for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, a stabilizing component of dynamite, and a thermal insulator.

I use it in my dogs' food, on the carpet (for fleas), on the dogs themselves. Never had a problem.'

Still have to take some my self, but the smaller dose for beginning is a good idea.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius.

gnosis5 is offline Junior Member
    DE seemed to be more cost effective compared to charcoal. I switched from powdered zeolite to DE because I could get more DE for less. I've been taking it with Dolomite and apple cider vinegar. I've been starting out with 3 heaping tablespoons in the morning. Yes, my body is now telling me to eat beetkraut and sourkraut (the live kind), so the probiotics suggestion indicates, thank you.

Yes, I made bone broth too, but at the same time use DE as a de-tox. I also nip the tops of the nettles and cook them up and nettles are purported to contain absorbable silica.

Yes, agree, in theory. Practically, even though I also ingest blue green algae daily, I'm making up for some prior neglect and doing a remedial action, taking the DE, etc.

Thank you for the tip and I will begin that regimen too. It reminds me of the blue green algae sun tea that I make. I also wonder if adding apple cider vinegar to a solution of DE would help break down the silica for transfer into the body systems?

marigoldmaker is offline Junior Member
    I stared feeding it to my dogs (food grade), and read about all the healthful benefits to humans, so I decided to try it myself.
    I started by adding 1 TBL to my morning protein shake.

After 1 week, I've decided to stop using it. The slight nausea I experienced at first went away. But, I've been experiencing severe bloating. I'm a VERY careful, clean eater since I have a severe gluten intolerance. The bloating I'm experiencing is what happens when I get "glutened".

I'm not positive the diatomaceous earth is the culprit, but it's the only thing I've really changed. I may try again in a month, starting with 1 tsp. If so, I'll repost.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    You really don't want to breathe large amounts of the stuff in, so what's the incentive to eat it?
    I realize this is an old post, and it may have already garnered a response or two, but I can't resist...

Water. You don't really want to breathe large amounts of the stuff in, so what's the incentive to drink it?
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    I realize this is an old post, and it may have already garnered a response or two, but I can't resist...
    Water. You don't really want to breathe large amounts of the stuff in, so what's the incentive to drink it?
    Yes, a very old post. The last person to object saying the exact same thing you just did was JamesS. This was my reply since you can't be bothered to go back and find it.

"And that last statement has go to be about the most non-sensical thing ever written on MDA. Silicosis is a very horrible and very avoidable condition. Just don't breathe silica. Nobody breathes water (not anyone who types anyway). Saying that water will kill you if you breathe it but is safe to drink and therefore silica is safe to eat makes no sense at all."

Really people, think. Ingesting sharp shards of fossilized diatoms (fossilized they become silica which when ground up is better know as sand). How much sense does that make?

We have decided that the HealthyWholeGrain pushers with their "eat lots of bran because it "cleanses" your intestines" campaigns are full of it. Why would anyone who is not suffering from a parasitic infection then ingest a substance composed of SHARDS (I don't care how finely ground up they may be) of anything in an attempt to "cleanse" their colon?

Newsflash : Your colon doesn't need cleansing. Mucous membranes are there for a reason and scrubbing them with a digestive brillo pad is not a good idea.

You are being sold a product which may or may not hurt you (see the OP re anal bleeding). But it will certainly not help any.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes, a very old post. The last person to object saying the exact same thing you just did was JamesS. This was my reply since you can't be bothered to go back and find it.

"And that last statement has go to be about the most non-sensical thing ever written on MDA. Silicosis is a very horrible and very avoidable condition. Just don't breathe silica. Nobody breathes water (not anyone who types anyway). Saying that water will kill you if you breathe it but is safe to drink and therefore silica is safe to eat makes no sense at all."

Really people, think. Ingesting sharp shards of fossilized diatoms (fossilized they become silica which when ground up is better know as sand). How much sense does that make?

We have decided that the HealthyWholeGrain pushers with their "eat lots of bran because it "cleanses" your intestines" campaigns are full of it. Why would anyone who is not suffering from a parasitic infection then ingest a substance composed of SHARDS (I don't care how finely ground up they may be) of anything in an attempt to "cleanse" their colon?

Newsflash : Your colon doesn't need cleansing. Mucous membranes are there for a reason and scrubbing them with a digestive brillo pad is not a good idea.

You are being sold a product which may or may not hurt you (see the OP re anal bleeding). But it will certainly not help any.
    Thanks. I wasn't arguing for the health benefits of ingesting sand, I was pointing out the glaring flaw in the argument. I haven't voluntarily eaten sand since I was a child. Even then, it was just a taste.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    to which i again reply that it's not sand, it's not abrasive unless you have it on the floor constantly and let your dogs walk on it all day every day

it's a very fine powder that can puff up if you look down at it too quickly

why people would use this to scour their colons i don't know, but as an insect killer it's a-ok
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast