Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects? page 11

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    nah it's not crazy

eating butter and fatty meat is crazy, when evvvvvverybody knows they'll give your heart attacks at a young age
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Diatomaceous earth is used in swimming pool filters.

That's about all I know.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Diatomaceous earth is used in swimming pool filters.

That's about all I know.
    People eat clay, too. But that only proves their nutritional status is flawed, and they find what they need where they can. Would I recommend d.e. for people? I even quit using it on my critters for lice years ago, due to its cutting edge propensities. (That's a joke, in case it zipped over your heads.)

simon155 is offline Junior Member
    I see a lot of references to the joys of "clean colons" on here. Need I remind you of the following? A few random quotes from wiki follow. In short, the colon lining is there for a reason. Routinely pushing foreign substances through it to clean it out, or taking enemas may make your back passage feel "nice and drafty" if that's what you're into, but in the longer term it's not recommended. On a side note, the body is full of bacteria. Many of which are beneficial.

In addition, there are many testimonials from vendors, and anecdotal evidence to the benefits of DE. To this date there has been NO scientific evidence supporting claims of it's benefits. Look it up on wiki. The one plus side with wiki is that at least it gets policed and required citation where claims are made. Other pages are fraught with vendors, quacks and other unreliable or biased sources.

No scientific evidence supports the alleged benefits of colon cleansing and it "has no known medical value and risks damage to the rectum or bowel." The bowel itself is "not dirty” and, unless disease or medication interfere, "nature does a fine job of clearing out wastes."

Despite this, "auto-intoxication" persists in the public imagination. The practice of colon cleansing has undergone a resurgence in the alternative medical community, supported by testimonials and anecdotal evidence and promoted by manufacturers of colon-cleansing products.

Some colon-cleansing regimens disrupt fluid and electrolyte balance, which may lead to dehydration and salt depletion, whilst repeated or excessive cleansing programs can lead to anemia and malnutrition.

Diatomaceous earth is approved for use in food, but poses an inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Natural or dried diatomite generally contains crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (calcining) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form. A mask is necessary for working with DE products.

The crystalline silica content of the dust's particulate is regulated in the United States by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the breathing zone of workers.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    I just read this whole thread. I kept by passing it. I knew I had heard of DE before, when I saw the thread title, but I could not place it until I started reading. It is a pesticide. I used it for a bad bug problem I had when I lived in Seattle, bought it at home depot, spread it around the foundation of my house. WTF people. Food Grade or not are you crazy....

I agree, Tormag. A single facepalm just wouldn't do on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    I even quit using it on my critters for lice years ago, due to its cutting edge propensities. (That's a joke, in case it zipped over your heads.)
    Not only that, I don't even have lice or worms.

Quote Originally Posted by simon155 View Post
    I see a lot of references to the joys of "clean colons" on here. Need I remind you of the following? A few random quotes from wiki follow. In short, the colon lining is there for a reason. Routinely pushing foreign substances through it to clean it out, or taking enemas may make your back passage feel "nice and drafty" if that's what you're into, but in the longer term it's not recommended. On a side note, the body is full of bacteria. Many of which are beneficial.

In addition, there are many testimonials from vendors, and anecdotal evidence to the benefits of DE. To this date there has been NO scientific evidence supporting claims of it's benefits. Look it up on wiki. The one plus side with wiki is that at least it gets policed and required citation where claims are made. Other pages are fraught with vendors, quacks and other unreliable or biased sources.

No scientific evidence supports the alleged benefits of colon cleansing and it "has no known medical value and risks damage to the rectum or bowel." The bowel itself is "not dirty” and, unless disease or medication interfere, "nature does a fine job of clearing out wastes."

Despite this, "auto-intoxication" persists in the public imagination. The practice of colon cleansing has undergone a resurgence in the alternative medical community, supported by testimonials and anecdotal evidence and promoted by manufacturers of colon-cleansing products.

Some colon-cleansing regimens disrupt fluid and electrolyte balance, which may lead to dehydration and salt depletion, whilst repeated or excessive cleansing programs can lead to anemia and malnutrition.

Diatomaceous earth is approved for use in food, but poses an inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Natural or dried diatomite generally contains crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (calcining) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form. A mask is necessary for working with DE products.

The crystalline silica content of the dust's particulate is regulated in the United States by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the breathing zone of workers.
    Exactly. The "scientific research" saying we should all be eating this abrasive stuff is brought to you by the same people trying to sell it to you. From there, websites all quote each other in one giant game of self reinforcement.

And yes, the whole colon "cleansing" thing is ridiculous. How about a coffee enema? Leave your mucous membranes alone. They are there for a reason and are doing just fine without any scrubbing.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    How about a coffee enema?
    I just love new and interesting ways to consume coffee!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I've been taking it off and on for several months (probably a year), in quantities varying from 2-3 tablespoons a day for weeks and sometimes just the occasional teaspoon once a week.

I've seen neither clear benefit nor any side-effect that I could attribute to it.
    Last edited by carlh; 11-27-2012 at 02:43 PM.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    got it for the dogs, as they have problems with authority and like to escape from time to time and eat cat crap and get wormy. worm pills can be expensive when you're on a budget.

this 'super abrasive sand' is powder. a very finely milled powder.

is it effective at worm prevention? i don't know yet, but jesus h christ once i realized what it was, i lolled

there is no feasible way this can 'scour' your mucus off unless you eat it by the pound and there is a LOT of powder in a pound
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    I used to use it to clean my fish tank.

And why would you want to eat sand? Gonna end up on an episode of Taboo.

cyndi60 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I had heard that DE once wet that it becomes ineffective or on the package it says that it needs to be reapplied and that means once going down inside of the body it is deemed ineffective. When thinking about the point that it is going into the wet digestive tract starting at the mouth and ending many feet later at the bottom. Thinking about these two points causes me to have a hard time with wanting to add a crushed shrp glass like product to myself OR any critter. Remember just because a product is "natural" doesn't mean it is beneficial in the long run. Mercury is natural, but you won't find using that either even though mercury is still used today in medicine as an ingredient in vaccines. What are your thoughts on this?

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast